GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,311
0 members and 1,311 guests
No Members online

Old 11-26-2007, 03:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I was too lazy to search through the entire thread, but I don't think any other social groups share our name. I have heard that there are a few service sororities with our name, I have heard they are in New Jersey, California and Texas but I don't think I've ever seen conformation of this!

If anyone else sees a Phi Epsilon Alpha anywhere let me know! And yes, I do realize there is an Alpha Epsilon Phi and no, we aren't in any way associated with them (I've been asked).
"Lead by example, change by choice, and govern with morale and love"
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-02-2008, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

All I can think of is that if ANY organizations are looking to go regional and or national, you should definitely invest in the following measures. Firstly, find out if any other organizations have your same letters. If not, incorporate your organization in your state of business and then trademark your name so that no one can take it. This is expensive and time consuming, and it takes more than 6 months to do (Trademarking specifically). If another organization has your letters than this will be difficult, especially if they are incorporated, almost no shot if they have the trademark.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:11 AM
GreekChat Member

My fraternity apparently shares a name with a group of crossdressers from Iowa. Which is pretty awful.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to hardknock Send a message via MSN to hardknock
Sigma Psi Alpha. To our knowledge, we're the only ones. Although, on our campus, there is a fraternity named Delta Pi which shares their letters with a local Toronto sorority.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmar55 View Post
...with a really cool story...
No disrespect intended, but it saddens my heart to see organizations run with public histories like the one on your site.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
I mean to disrespect to the national organization involved, but I think it's nice to explain why our local was founded. I'm sure this experience is not a reflection on the great things that KD has done, past and present, but our history is something we're proud of. also, nationals have their basic history on their sites too...
Sororities have their history on their website, but they usually don't include anything that might be seen as damaging to another organization.

You can be proud of your history all you want, but I find your written history tacky...and I know I'm not the only one.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

well, I apologize to those who are offended and I would rather not have my sorority slandered on the internet as well, so I will delete the posts. I would also appreciate it if the quotations were taken off too, because I am not here to offend anyone nor to be offended by others
whether or not you agree, these are the facts and the reason or sorority was founded and I am proud of our beliefs.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
well, I apologize to those who are offended and I would rather not have my sorority slandered on the internet as well, so I will delete the posts. I would also appreciate it if the quotations were taken off too, because I am not here to offend anyone nor to be offended by others
whether or not you agree, these are the facts and the reason or sorority was founded and I am proud of our beliefs.
You don't have to leave because we've said something you don't agree with. And, no one has slandered your organization. It is bad form to use your history to talk about what other specific organizations are (or were) not rather than celebrating what you are. Instead of naming Kappa Delta, why not simply allude to the unfortunate discriminatory practices within the context of membership selection conducted by some Greek organizations in the 1960s. That would be a classier way to handle it and would reflect much better on your sorority.

Obviously, I'm not a member of your organization, but in the spirit of Greek unity and cooperation, I hope you take what we've said into account and at least consider it.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
You don't have to leave because we've said something you don't agree with. And, no one has slandered your organization. It is bad form to use your history to talk about what other specific organizations are (or were) not rather than celebrating what you are. Instead of naming Kappa Delta, why not simply allude to the unfortunate discriminatory practices within the context of membership selection conducted by some Greek organizations in the 1960s. That would be a classier way to handle it and would reflect much better on your sorority.

Obviously, I'm not a member of your organization, but in the spirit of Greek unity and cooperation, I hope you take what we've said into account and at least consider it.

Exactly. Putting Kappa Delta in your history is not the issue. The issue is that it seems like KD was included just so they couldbe made out to be "the discriminatory national sorority," thereby making your local look like the "champion of diversity."

I just feel like your history should be about YOU. Not about what other orgs are (or were) not.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Exactly. Putting Kappa Delta in your history is not the issue. The issue is that it seems like KD was included just so they couldbe made out to be "the discriminatory national sorority," thereby making your local look like the "champion of diversity."

I just feel like your history should be about YOU. Not about what other orgs are (or were) not.
http://kappadeltasigma.com/?page_id=2

Just in case people were wondering.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

to all-
thank you for your advice. this is something I will bring up in a meeting and hope to change, for the better of my group as well as all.
I would now respectfully ask that this issue be dropped. I apologize for bringing up both my sorority as well as our information and understand that this is my own fault, but I do not want my sorority to be discussed in a negative light publicly like this because we are a wonderful group of girls that have a great sisterhood, something that can't be rightly discussed or displayed through an online blog.
now, I understand that the use of another national in a more negative light in the history is the issue and thus, I may be seen as hypocritical in my request, but like I said, I will work to change this in the future, seeing as now I do not have an exec position and this write up was far before my time.
I also would like to say, again, that I feel the national organization under discussion is a great one and has done amazing things, past and present, for women all over the country. I also would like to say that I have friends in this organization at other schools and respect them greatly.
thank you all for your time and cooperation.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
to all-
thank you for your advice. this is something I will bring up in a meeting and hope to change, for the better of my group as well as all.
I would now respectfully ask that this issue be dropped. I apologize for bringing up both my sorority as well as our information and understand that this is my own fault, but I do not want my sorority to be discussed in a negative light publicly like this because we are a wonderful group of girls that have a great sisterhood, something that can't be rightly discussed or displayed through an online blog.
now, I understand that the use of another national in a more negative light in the history is the issue and thus, I may be seen as hypocritical in my request, but like I said, I will work to change this in the future, seeing as now I do not have an exec position and this write up was far before my time.
I also would like to say, again, that I feel the national organization under discussion is a great one and has done amazing things, past and present, for women all over the country. I also would like to say that I have friends in this organization at other schools and respect them greatly.
thank you all for your time and cooperation.
Note: No one here is saying that you guys are a "bad group."

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Im Kappa Tau Gamma .. and as many of you may know its one of the Frats on the show Greek .. not quite a real organization but still ...
Old 09-09-2009, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I know this is quite belated, but I felt I had to post something in response to this...
Quote:
I'm really glad you are proud of your beliefs, and I admire any organization, regardless of size, who is able to stand independently of a NPC sorority/other national GLO. This is an admirable quality and speaks to the caliber of women in your organization. However, what was written on your website deeply saddened me. As a Kappa Delta, I pride myself on the level of open-mindedness I see at both the local and national level. There are over 200,000 women who call themselves Kappa Deltas. I can assure you that the vast majority of my 200,000 sisters are kind, open minded people. It is unfortunate that your chapter did not experience this in the past, however please also look at your own history from a larger perspective: the time in which your chapter was affiliated with national Kappa Delta was not a time in American history known for its openness to racial diversity. In fact, your founding mothers left national Kappa Delta during the heart of the civil rights movement. I state these things only in the hope that you may better understand why those things may have happened. It does not excuse them, but I hope you understand that that was a different time. Kappa Delta today is a vibrant and diverse organization with members from every race, creed and orientation imaginable. As with any organization, mistakes have been made in the past. I'm sure there isn't a single sorority out there that doesn't have some less-than-perfect actions somewhere in their history. However, Kappa Delta as a whole is a wonderful organization that works to promote confidence and diversity in women everywhere. I apologize for resurrecting an old argument, but I felt I had to defend my beloved Kappa Delta. KD is a place where I have found unconditional acceptance from women of all races and beliefs; I encourage you to take a look at our website (http://www.kappadelta.org) and some of the beliefs/values of our sorority before you write off the entire organization as something it's not. Thank you.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC2theEC View Post
I'm in a local sorority over at Elmhurst College in Illinois and we were originally the Little Sisters of Alpha Tau Omega but they're no longer on campus. Now we're Gamma Chi. I haven't heard of any real organizations with our name but people always get us confused with recruitment guides and Gamma Gamma Chi.
My mom was a Gamma Chi at Grove City College in Pennsylvania!