GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,121
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zlexisttsz2453
» Online Users: 1,859
1 members and 1,858 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 05-19-2017, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

FSU Sorority Recruitment Rec Letters?

Hi! I'm still fairly new to Greek life so I was just curious about the effect that rec letters have on recruitment? I'm the first person in my family to rush for a sorority so I really don't know many people involved in Greek life! Florida State's Greek life is massive and I think it's going to be very competitive, so I'm trying to figure out if rec letters will help me in the long run!
I've heard that rec letters are helpful but I really don't know anyone in Greek life. Can I still get rec letters?
Thank you!
Old 05-19-2017, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

You need recommendations. Period.

FSU is a competitive recruitment. Recommendations put you on the radar before recruitment begins. Low grades and no recommendations are the two easiest ways to drop a girl from the invitation list. Some sororities have national requirements that every girl they offer a bid to has to have a recommendation.

You must know older girls who graduated from your HS who joined sororities. Ask them. Ask your classmates/friends if they have a sister, mother, aunt, cousin, friend, who is a sorority member. Ask your teachers. Ask your neighbors. Have your parents ask their friends and co workers. If you live in one of the metro areas there should be an alumnae Panhellenic and or individual sorority alumnae chapters there. Google and Facebook search. And get to work.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Is it rude to ask someone I don't know for a rec????
Old 05-20-2017, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

All depends on how you go about it. Do you know someone in common? If so,that person should introduce you to the other person with the known goal being for her to write the rec AFTER she meets you. This is called networking and is how you should go about finding rec writers. Make sense?
Old 05-20-2017, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

It does make sense, I talked to this really sweet lady at a graduation party and she offered to write me a rec letter!! I just don't know where to go from that :/ I don't want to be rude and annoying or come off as superficial seeking rec letters. I'm from a small town, but I found a FB group that has Panhellenic members in it from my area. Would you find it weird if a PNM messaged you asking about your sorority?
Old 05-20-2017, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Well then get her your resume along with a transcript and an envelope addressed to HER group's address at FSU. And THANK HER!!!! And then let her know which groups you still need and ask if she knows any women in those groups. Greek women know other Greek women. I'm glad to answer any questions you have.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

I always offer to connect local PNMs with other sorority members, but some folks don't think to offer. The majority of alums just want the PNMs to have the best chance and are happy to help in any way. Send me a PM if you have more FSU questions.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Ditto, FSUZeta!
Old 05-20-2017, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you both so much! You have been so helpful! Just one last question: do sororities care about your relationship to the person writing your rec? I know legacies are something they definitely look at, but do they care about relations other than that?
Old 05-20-2017, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

They care whether the person knows you personally...and can vouch for you. If you and this person were at the same event, she knows people who know you and can vouch for you for her. Same thing...for example -FSUZeta and I are friends. If she asks me to write a rec for a friend of hers, then it's golden and I will state that in my rec. She knows what we are looking for and vice versa.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, and I would do the same for Titchou!
Old 05-21-2017, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

You two have been so helpful! I found out that one of my friend's mom's was in a sorority and offered to write me a rec. I'm just worried because she hasn't ever met me personally because she lives up north. Do you think that will be an issue?
Old 05-21-2017, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

That's perfect. She can vouch for the family and her long time friend who will also obviously have a great daughter. NETWORKING.....getting introduced to those who can help you. This is a life skill you will need when you are looking for a job. This is great....honey, in the south, knowing the family is the MOST important thing.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

You could skype or talk to your mom's friend on the phone if that makes you feel better, but in this circumstance it is not necessary.

The next thing you need to do is ask your mom's friend if she knows women in other sororities who might be willing to write a rec for you. And you be sure to write a sweet thank you to her and let her know where you pledge.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Teachers, Coaches, supervisors at work, people at church, parents of friends, friends of friends, all of these are possibilities. Many people are Greek, and you probably have more Greek contacts than you know. Ask men as well as women, for possible contacts and leads, since fraternity men know sorority women. Don't be shy. The best way is to let everyone know you are planning to rush and you are looking for recs. Good Luck!!