GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Gamma > Gamma Sigma Sigma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,400
2 members and 1,398 guests
Titchou

Old 05-26-2009, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

GSS- How old is to old

My friend recently return back to school and will be graduating next Fall with a Degree in Socialogy. However, She's 35 but has always wanted to be apart of a strong sisterhood and help out in the community. There's an grad chapter where we live but the thing is most of the members are under 24 yrs old. What's your opinon should I be honest and tell her maybe look for another service group around her own age?
Old 05-27-2009, 07:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammasigma View Post
My friend recently return back to school and will be graduating next Fall with a Degree in Socialogy. However, She's 35 but has always wanted to be apart of a strong sisterhood and help out in the community. There's an grad chapter where we live but the thing is most of the members are under 24 yrs old. What's your opinon should I be honest and tell her maybe look for another service group around her own age?
Old enough that you need to do a grammatical check of this whole entire passage.

Remedial English anyone?
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 05-28-2009, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammasigma View Post
Gamma Sigma Sigma does not have "graduate chapters". There are only collegiate and alumnae chapters. One can join only as a collegiate (undergrad).

There is no age limit.

Are you a member? Just wondering bc of your username.

Last edited by ree-Xi; 05-28-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
Yes I'm curious also if you are a member...but then again, if you were you'd know that we don't have "graduate" chapters. Not trying to be mean but I hate when I have to correct members of that fact.

I'm trying to figure out which chapter this is because most of our alum chapters have members of different ages. If your friend is interested in joining Gamma Sig and that's the nearest chapter to her, she should do it. I understand how the age gap might be an issue, but once she gets to know the members she ought to be fine (and 35 isn't really THAT old for real is it?)

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."
Old 05-29-2009, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

GG, didn't somebody of GreekChat affiliate with GSS as an alumnae initiate of some kind?

(Not trying to be messy, I just really thought I had seen that on here)
Old 05-30-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
GG, didn't somebody of GreekChat affiliate with GSS as an alumnae initiate of some kind?

I concur.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
Quote:

I remember that...I just can't remember the username.
Let me explain. We have "collegiate" and "alumni" chapters within Gamma Sig.

"Collegiate" membership is open to BOTH undergrad and graduate students. If you are a student and you want to join the Gamma Sig chapter at said school, you may.

"Alumni" membership is, for the MOST part, just a transition from your collegiate chapter to an alum chapter. You can become alumni by graduating or by "honorable separation" (which for some people means that they haven't graduated, they might have just left school for various reasons--as long as they left their chapter in good standing they are eligible for alumni status).

Gamma Sigma Sigma does have an option for those who DID NOT join at the collegiate level. That is a process we call "auxiliary membership" in which that person can join an alumni chapter, but doesn't receive full membership until after a year (two years max). After that period then they receive full membership. That is what happened to the person whose username I can't remember, LOL. The sorority also has limits on how many of these members can be in the chapter; you can't have more than 50% of your membership be aux members. So, if a chapter was at their limit and someone else wanted to join, they'd have to wait until somebody leaves and another space is open.

What happens is that some of our members aren't as knowledgeable about this as they should be and use "graduate" and "alumni" interchangeably without knowing the difference. A true "graduate" chapter is just that. Everybody in the chapter is a college graduate; some of our chapters have members who don't have degrees.

Hope this cleared it up!

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."
Old 05-30-2009, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Gotcha, and thanks! I can't remember the username either, but I feel like she may have been near me in the DC area? I do remember GSS being her fourth GLO.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Blu-Scholar
Thank you gamma_girl52. You always seem t save the day.
But now that you all mention this, I remember coming across something liek that as well. I am so glad you explained that thoroughly because its annoying to me as well when persons say graduate chapter and not ALUMNI chapter.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Is this who you meant? If so, she joined as an auxiliary member. She is also a member of Phi Sigma Sigma (NPC), Beta Sigma Phi (community sorority) and TBS (I think a band sorority).

If I am mistaken, I apologize!

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...18#post1352218

Old 06-16-2009, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Yup, that's exactly who I was thinking of! Thanks!
Old 07-22-2009, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ECUGSS
Yes, that's Alison, she was a part of the now inactive Cherry Blossom Alumni Chapter in DC... I wonder what's happened to her...