GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,439
1 members and 1,438 guests
asamuelchvso931
Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Sprite Step Off

I keep hearing these comments that AKA's taught ZTA how to step?

I personally feel, I just can't believe how Sprite used the D9 to promote their reality show and selected a non-D9 group. The history of stepping is more than steps and moves but, part of our cultural. Some things should be left for us to cherish! To have another D9 show this group steps, and then to see this performance should've been a slap in our faces. Neither sprite nor MTV will never understand the passion we have for our organizations, but, obviously they realize we will PAY (SOLD OUT SHOW IN ATLANTA) to support our organization! Money that our brothers and sisters can use to further their education is now in the hand of the people who do not represent D9. They obviously DO NOT understand the BLOOD SWEAT and TEARS went into establishing D9. I heard they made enough money they plan a second airing next year! (How sad!!!)I will NOT support this event! I'm still in shock!

Last edited by sd1920; 02-22-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-23-2010, 06:35 AM
GreekChat Member

o
Old 02-23-2010, 06:36 AM
GreekChat Member

a
Old 02-23-2010, 06:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Are you serious?

Old 02-23-2010, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

I knew it!
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 02-23-2010, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to acedawg00-02
I just saw one of the videos, and I was extremely shocked. I'm with SD1920 in that the D9 was used to promote their reality show, and no...they do not understand the true history behind the organizations.

My great-grandmother used to say, "be careful when they befriend you...they will only try to use you... or try to steal your thunder." However, in this case, we handed it right to them.

Most of us that "step" these days have not been educated on the intense spiritual and emotional kinship associated with the rhythms and moves of a routine.

Most of us that "step" these days are totally unaware of the struggle...and the fact that Negro organizations were born (partly) out of strong resistance to Negro membership by white groups.

For some reason, it seems as if stepping has been reduced to merely a fun dance routine - that everyone wants to learn...participate in...and look "cute" in. It's soooo not about that.

The result of this competition is what happens when you do not teach and embrace your history...it's what happens when some of us sell our souls in search of acceptance.

*never give anyone your thunder*

Last edited by acedawg00-02; 02-23-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to acedawg00-02
BTW - the term Negro was used for effect. Most of us don't know what it's like to keep your chin up despite being called such...

Most of us don't know what it's like to fight to honor, protect and improve upon something that so many have fought and died for.

...and yes, it's that's serious...
Old 02-23-2010, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acedawg00-02 View Post
...and the fact that Negro organizations were born out of strong resistance to Negro membership by white groups.
It's interesting that no one ever has any evidence to show that a black person was ever even interested in pledging a white fraternity or sorority in those days.

We know it's a fact that blacks weren't welcome, but that doesn't suggest that our organizations were born of the notion of being unwelcome.

BGLOs created the blueprint for a new TYPE of fraternity all together. Alpha was born as a study club and evolved into a fraternity which performed public programs, community service, and dedicated itself to social justice internally and externally.

"White" fraternities were not doing this. And that's fine. But again, doesn't mean that my founders were snubbed and did their own thing. It means that something different was necessary, so something different was created -- not something new was created because they were excluded.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but there really is a difference.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Also, were people aware that the organizations of the NPHC received hefty licensing fees for agreeing to allow chapters to participate in the Sprite Step Off?

So we didn't exactly give it away, nor were we taken advantage of.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Can these threads be merged? I don't even know which thread I am replying to anymore!

Anyway, just wanted to follow up on what I said about the checks Sprite gave to the NPHC orgs:

From a Press Release:

Nearly 400 members of the Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated stood to their feet as Maurice Cooper, Sprite's North America business manager for The Coca-Cola Company, presented the organization with a check for $83,333.33. The presentation was made during the closing session of the 2009 Zeta Organizational Leadership Conference held in Washington, DC at the J.W. Marriott Hotel.

The check, presented to International President and entertainer/entrepreneur Sheryl P. Underwood, officially marks the leadership role of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority as one of the partnering organizations of the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) supporting the 2009 Sprite Step Off, a national step competition, with $1.5 million in prizes. According to Underwood, "Zeta Phi Beta is overjoyed to join the other eight (8) Greek organizations, in partnership with Sprite. Sprite started its countdown to the Fall Step Off, and so have we!" said Underwood. She adds, "Zeta Phi Beta and the Council of Presidents of the NPHC see this as an opportunity for our youth to have fun and get exercise, but we also see the life-shaping experience in the Service and Charitable Platform."

(This was issued BEFORE the very first qualifying round happened.)
Old 02-23-2010, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Can these threads be merged? I don't even know which thread I am replying to anymore!

Anyway, just wanted to follow up on what I said about the checks Sprite gave to the NPHC orgs:

From a Press Release:

Nearly 400 members of the Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated stood to their feet as Maurice Cooper, Sprite's North America business manager for The Coca-Cola Company, presented the organization with a check for $83,333.33. The presentation was made during the closing session of the 2009 Zeta Organizational Leadership Conference held in Washington, DC at the J.W. Marriott Hotel.

The check, presented to International President and entertainer/entrepreneur Sheryl P. Underwood, officially marks the leadership role of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority as one of the partnering organizations of the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) supporting the 2009 Sprite Step Off, a national step competition, with $1.5 million in prizes. According to Underwood, "Zeta Phi Beta is overjoyed to join the other eight (8) Greek organizations, in partnership with Sprite. Sprite started its countdown to the Fall Step Off, and so have we!" said Underwood. She adds, "Zeta Phi Beta and the Council of Presidents of the NPHC see this as an opportunity for our youth to have fun and get exercise, but we also see the life-shaping experience in the Service and Charitable Platform."

(This was issued BEFORE the very first qualifying round happened.)
So did the other orgs get a check as well? Also, one of my sorors judged the qualifying round when they came to Philly and she said that one of the Sprite reps told her the competition was only open to the NPHC. Don't know what happened to that though.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
So did the other orgs get a check as well? Also, one of my sorors judged the qualifying round when they came to Philly and she said that one of the Sprite reps told her the competition was only open to the NPHC. Don't know what happened to that though.
I can only assume so. All of our organizations are just as savvy as the rest, so I'd be surprised if similar deals weren't brokered.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It's interesting that no one ever has any evidence to show that a black person was ever even interested in pledging a white fraternity or sorority in those days.

We know it's a fact that blacks weren't welcome, but that doesn't suggest that our organizations were born of the notion of being unwelcome.

BGLOs created the blueprint for a new TYPE of fraternity all together. Alpha was born as a study club and evolved into a fraternity which performed public programs, community service, and dedicated itself to social justice internally and externally.

"White" fraternities were not doing this. And that's fine. But again, doesn't mean that my founders were snubbed and did their own thing. It means that something different was necessary, so something different was created -- not something new was created because they were excluded.

I agree but I think it's more about the fact that if we wanted to join them, we couldn't. Also, I think people assume that since many Blacks back then wanted to integrate with Whites and be accepted by them, that we probably wanted to be in their orgs at first or that we would've jumped at the chance had they been open to it, though of course we haven't discovered any proof of this..
Old 02-23-2010, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Thank you. I have seen this argument a couple of times, and it is just so wrongheaded, certainly where my sorority is concerned.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:

PREACH!!!!
Closed Thread