GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,202
1 members and 1,201 guests
AOIIalum

Old 05-13-2008, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Washington and Lee Recruitment...what is it like?

I was surprised to read that Washington and Lee University has 5 chapters, and that 75% of undergraduate women are sorority members.
I'm just curious about what recruitment is like...I know it's in January, but that's about it.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:52 PM

breathesgelatin is our resident W&L girl, and can probably tell you all about it.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

According to Post 1 of http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=95900, W&L Panhel is expanding to 6 groups.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm currently a freshman in a sorority at w&l, so maybe I can help answer some of your questions. Formal rush is the first week you get back from winter break, which is early January. It's a week of visiting houses and doing different activities (philanthropy night, skit night, etc). Thursday night you'll be down to 2 houses, which you then pref. Friday is bid night!! Informal rush happens all fall term. You'll go on rush dates, meet lots of upperclassmen girls, and basically just figure out what you want to do. You'll have 6 sororities to choose from instead of just 5, since ADPi is coming next year. Feel free to ask any questions. Plus, you'll get a Rho Gamma to explain everything once you get to campus. Hope this helps!
Old 05-14-2008, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay! Lexington is my hometown (and I heart the Lex Vegas)! A bunch of my high school classmates go/went there, but I can't tell you much about the Greek system there besides the houses are amazing to look at, almost everyone does rush/recruitment, and the frats throw some amazing parties. Don't wear your good shoes.
Sister Development Chair '08-'09
Scholarship Chair '08-'09, '09-'10

Old 05-14-2008, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for your quick answers! I'm not asking for me (I'm an alum and my sorority is not on the W&L campus).
It sounds like there is a lot that happens informally in the fall...does this help to make formal rush less intimidating?
My college had maybe 15-20% of undergraduate women participating in sororities...I wondered if the high rates of participation at W&L make a rushee feel like the stakes are really high, or does it mean there really is a place for everyone?
P.S. Why should a rushee not wear her good shoes? Is it snowy?
Old 05-14-2008, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast3D View Post
Thanks for your quick answers! I'm not asking for me (I'm an alum and my sorority is not on the W&L campus).
It sounds like there is a lot that happens informally in the fall...does this help to make formal rush less intimidating?
My college had maybe 15-20% of undergraduate women participating in sororities...I wondered if the high rates of participation at W&L make a rushee feel like the stakes are really high, or does it mean there really is a place for everyone?
I'm a W&L alum who was president of my chapter. I graduated in '05.

In terms of the informal recruitment period in the fall, there is good and bad for the PNMs. Good, it lets you get to know upperclass women, and lets you get a "feel" for all of the groups before you join. Bad, there is a lot of what is called "tent talk" at other schools that gets spread around. Freshmen tend to have very stereotypical, inaccurate pictures of the houses. I say this as a former W&L freshman who had at least one stereotype of a house (that I did not join) that was completely wrong and really turned me off to that house.

I think that for some women at W&L the stakes are VERY high. When I was there, there was a definite "top three" that many women wanted to join. Although, I think that was increasingly becoming a "top two" with the third house down becoming more comparable to the "bottom two" houses (by the time I graduated, anyway). Obviously, things might have changed since I was there. My impression is that some women, particularly those who come in from particular southern high schools, know exactly which groups they will consider from day 1. In parallel fashion, the "top" groups also know from day 1 who some of their prime PNMs will be. The advantage of the informal recruitment period is that the houses also get a chance to know other women that they might not have considered based on day 1. So I've seen women that didn't have an "elite southern background" join the "top" group, because their friend group was those women and the "top" group genuinely liked them and brought them along for the ride. The DISADVANTAGE is that some freshmen women learn the stereotypes really quickly and get their hearts set on only joining two or three groups, and meet girls from those houses and convince themselves that because of informal recruitment they will definitely get in. So getting a rejection in that case is even more devastating than getting one to a house you feel like you've only "known" for a week.

Conversely, though, because of the high percentages of Greek life at W&L, there are many women who go Greek at W&L who might not have at other institutions. A lot of these women are just interested in the sorority experience, the leadership opportunities, and the housing and food opportunities (which are a MAJOR part of sophomore life at W&L), and are content to join nearly any group they feel a "fit" with. I would definitely say that I fell into the latter category during recruitment (for the most part - with the exception of my one really bad house stereotype!).

That was a long answer! Whew!

In terms of "good shoes," often it is snowy during recruitment week. I think like 3/4 times of recruitment for me at W&L it was snowy. Usually if it's snowy, Panhellenic dictates that women should wear practical shoes on the first night and that the sororities shouldn't judge them for doing so. LOL. But I don't remember anyone ever wearing sneakers/snow boots on preference night!!!

Welcome xoredhotxo to the boards. Not many W&L people here - there used to be a Theta who posted a few years back who was a year or two above me, but she's since disappeared...
Old 05-14-2008, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoredhotxo View Post
I'm currently a freshman in a sorority at w&l, so maybe I can help answer some of your questions. Formal rush is the first week you get back from winter break, which is early January. It's a week of visiting houses and doing different activities (philanthropy night, skit night, etc). Thursday night you'll be down to 2 houses, which you then pref. Friday is bid night!! Informal rush happens all fall term. You'll go on rush dates, meet lots of upperclassmen girls, and basically just figure out what you want to do. You'll have 6 sororities to choose from instead of just 5, since ADPi is coming next year. Feel free to ask any questions. Plus, you'll get a Rho Gamma to explain everything once you get to campus. Hope this helps!
This is totally accurate but I wanted to add a few things. Recruitment at W&L (at least through 2006) has the following nights:

Philanthropy Night - make a craft
Skit Night - duh, you can figure this out
Sisterhood Night - watch a sisterhood video
Preference Night - have a pref ceremony

It goes 5-4-3-2. However, ADPi will be colonizing this year, so I have no idea how they will change those numbers. Due to the unusual nature of W&L, ADPi will be colonizing DURING formal recruitment. So obviously the first night will have 6 houses. I don't have any idea how they'll work from then on, though.

Besides the informal recruitment dates (which basically consist of sorority members calling you up and saying "let's hang out," often in large groups), there are also formal "Meet the Greeks" informational events that occur in the fall. I would guess ADPi will be doing some to promote themselves and their colonization as well in the fall.

Also, each freshman hall gets its own assigned Rho Gamma, which I think helps encourage people to register for recruitment...

xoredhotxo, feel free to correct any of that if it was outdated.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast3D View Post
Heh, sorry I was referring to the frat parties and the sludge on their basement floors. Lexington used to get some really good snows when I growing up, but we don't really get them anymore.
Sister Development Chair '08-'09
Scholarship Chair '08-'09, '09-'10

Old 05-15-2008, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

breathesgelatin did a really great job of giving all the information of sororities at w&l! as far as the "Stakes are high" thing, each house does have its stereotype. some people buy into those, some don't. the best thing to do is to really see where you personally feel the most comfortable. pledging a "top" house just because of its reputation could spell disaster if you don't really fit in with the girls. plus, with so many women in sororities, each house is going to have a variety of girls, despite its stereotype. things are going to change a little next year because of the addition of ADPi. as far as the nights go, it's going to be 6-5-3-2. the nice thing about gettin g a 6th srat is that our pledge classes will be smaller. (they're about 37 now). girls tend to get stressed out about rush (I know i did!) but in the end it is such a worthwhile experience
Old 05-15-2008, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all for your insights! This board is such a tremendous resource!
Old 05-15-2008, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSigLisa View Post
Heh, sorry I was referring to the frat parties and the sludge on their basement floors. Lexington used to get some really good snows when I growing up, but we don't really get them anymore.
After my freshman year I started buying a specific cheap pair of heels for frat parties every season. Frat sludge = the nasty.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Breathesgelatin, as one of the people who has volunteered to help out with the ADPi colonization, do you think that not having the first term inside scoop on the freshmen will help or hurt? Please be brutally honest!
Old 05-17-2008, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Breathesgelatin, as one of the people who has volunteered to help out with the ADPi colonization, do you think that not having the first term inside scoop on the freshmen will help or hurt? Please be brutally honest!
Ahh.... possibly. I mean, all the other sororities will have a pretty good idea in January of who they'd like in their pledge class. Maybe that's more than I should say, but it's the truth.

On the other hand, ADPi will be recruiting slightly different people. My guess is that a lot of upperclass women who weren't satisfied with their sorority options or who just didn't join before for whatever reason might now be interested in ADPi. (Certainly when I was a senior in 2005 a bunch of upperclass women went to the Panhel expansion presentations.) Also, W&L has gone through this same thing before with both Pi Phi and KD and both remain on campus as strong chapters.

I mean... I think that honestly ADPi is going to get a weird mix of people at first. I know from secondhand knowledge that the initial pledge classes of Pi Phi and KD were both pretty diverse... it took a while for them to establish their chapter identities. The KD seniors when I was a freshmen (01-02 schoolyear) were in the chapter when most of the KD founding class (recruitment 1997, thus graduating class 2000) were there. The KD seniors when I was a freshman were frankly not like the girls who pledged KD when I pledged Pi Phi... it took a while for KD to sort of establish its identity. What I know of Pi Phi's colonization (from founding alums who advised our chapter) presents a similar story: some upperclassmen/transfers, some girls who were hardcore Pi Phi legacies, some girls who were interested in starting something new and some who were just like... ok. The thing is that the way they did matching when KD and Pi Phi colonized was that the colonizing group had a quota of 70 and everybody else divided what was left... so frankly, ADPi is going to get MOST of the girls. Also due to the way the numbers will work, they're probably going to get some girls that didn't necessarily want ADPi as their first choice (this would again match up with my anecdotal knowledge of past W&L colonizations). The competition for the 20 or so spots the other houses each have is probably going to be fierce - a lot of girls are probably going to want to join groups that are a known factor and where they have upperclassmen friends. So a lot of girls that listed other places second might end up with ADPi in bid matching.

This is all my conjecture based on what I know of past recruitments (which is pretty extensive, but obviously not infallible and obviously W&L could have changed the way they're doing colonization from the past). So... take it with a grain of salt. I think ADPi is going to have a great colonization! I just think they're going to get a really diverse group of girls and it's going to take a while for them to really find their identity on campus.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Having seen a recolonization before, I figured as much. Lots of women (who for one reason or another) didn't get a bid, legacies, and upperclassmen, along with the few who were intrigued by the new kid on the block. It took the chapter with which I'm familiar about 3 years to find their stride, and another 3-4 years to really excel - but they did it.

One of the biggest differences I see in the two is that, with the recolonization, there was still the interview process. Which isn't infallible - one of the women who didn't pass the interview ended up getting a bid two years later, and was on Homecoming Court!

It's becoming "curiouser and curiouser"!!