GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,351
0 members and 2,351 guests
No Members online

Old 08-10-2006, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

UGA Recruitment - A friend's story

Hi ladies! Hope everyone is having a wonderful summer, and getting excited for rush season. Since I went through recruitment last year (at another school), I have decided to post one of my good friend's recruitment experience at UGA. Unlike myself, she has not been waiting for the day she receives a bid since she was 15, but she's going through rush to see if sorority life is for her. For those of you who don't know much about UGA, round one (open house) starts tomorrow. The girls go to all the houses to learn about each one.

I have decided to name her houses after classic leading ladies. They are listed in random order:

Marilyn Monroe
Audrey Hepburn
Lauren Bacall
Barbara Streisand
Katherine Hepburn
Elizabeth Taylor
Julie Andrews
Judy Garland
Bette Davis
Doris Day
Jane Fonda
Lucille Ball
Ava Gardner
Mary Tyler Moore
Dorothy Dandridge
Donna Reed
Grace Kelly
Shelley Winters

It's a lot of sororities but I will keep you updated about her perceptions of each one. She is a smart, fun, beautiful girl and I know she will do well.

For those of you wondering which sororities are participating in Panhellenic recruitment, here is a link to their site.

http://www.uga.edu/panhellenic/

I'll update tomorrow on which houses she visted and how it went. Wish her luck!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-10-2006, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Favorites

I forgot to mention, due to some upperclassmen friends and gossip (which doesn't mean much), her three current interests are Audrey Hepburn, Lucille Ball and Grace Kelly. As we all know, that could change as soon as tomorrow. I guess we'll see...
Old 08-10-2006, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Go Dawgs!

Good luck UGA PNMs!
Old 08-10-2006, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

The pseudonyms of the different GLOs are really unique this year! Good work, PNMs (with a nod to the PNMmoms)!!

I just love "Sugar Kane" in Some Like It Hot, so Marilyn Monroe is my guess!
Old 08-11-2006, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDLady06
Hi ladies! Hope everyone is having a wonderful summer, and getting excited for rush season. Since I went through recruitment last year (at another school), I have decided to post one of my good friend's recruitment experience at UGA. Unlike myself, she has not been waiting for the day she receives a bid since she was 15, but she's going through rush to see if sorority life is for her. For those of you who don't know much about UGA, round one (open house) starts tomorrow. The girls go to all the houses to learn about each one.

I have decided to name her houses after classic leading ladies. They are listed in random order:

Marilyn Monroe
Audrey Hepburn
Lauren Bacall
Barbara Streisand
Katherine Hepburn
Elizabeth Taylor
Julie Andrews
Judy Garland
Bette Davis
Doris Day
Jane Fonda
Lucille Ball
Ava Gardner
Mary Tyler Moore
Dorothy Dandridge
Donna Reed
Grace Kelly
Shelley Winters

It's a lot of sororities but I will keep you updated about her perceptions of each one. She is a smart, fun, beautiful girl and I know she will do well.

For those of you wondering which sororities are participating in Panhellenic recruitment, here is a link to their site.

http://www.uga.edu/panhellenic/

I'll update tomorrow on which houses she visted and how it went. Wish her luck!
Just want to add that not all of those 18 sororities participate in formal recruitment.

I'm headed up to UGA tomorrow to help at our chapter there for Day One. I always like going up to Athens!

Last edited by GPhiBLtColonel; 08-11-2006 at 02:05 AM.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Some not participating

GPhiB - I had no idea. Which ones aren't participating in formal recruitment? I can remove them from the list. Also, I have some close friends in Gamma Phi at UGA. They are all such sweet girls. Have a blast tomorrow.

Update: I talked to my friend a few hours ago. She is so excited for tomorrow and is now getting her beauty sleep. I'm so excited for her! She said she will call me as soon as she's done with her parties tomorrow (probably around 5pm EST).

PS: Anyone else rushing at UGA is more than welcome to post here. I haven't seen news of anyone else participating in recruitment there. I'd love to hear how it all goes!

-KDlady

Last edited by KDLady06; 08-11-2006 at 02:15 AM.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:05 AM
GreekChat Member

As far as I know, there are two: DPhiE and SDT....not sure why though.

We (another alum and I) were told we'd be done with parties about 4pm tomorrow....here is the schedule passed to us:

Friday August 11, 8:00 a.m. - 3:50 p.m. ROUND ONE (day 1)
Saturday August 12, 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. ROUND ONE (day 2)
Sunday August 13, 8:00 a.m. - 5:51 p.m. HOUSE TOURS ROUND TWO
Monday August 14, 8:00 a.m. - 12:47 p.m. SKITS ROUND THREE
Tuesday August 15, 9:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. PREFS ROUND FOUR
Wednesday August 16, 6:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. BID DAY

Last year, quota was in the low 60's.....

Old 08-11-2006, 02:21 AM
GreekChat Member

DPhiE?

That's unusual. In the post entitled "SEC Recruitment coming up!" Someone said that DphiE is participating in formal recruitment. I have a few friends in SDT as well who told me they were going up early for formal recruitment as well. I'll have to ask my friend tomorrow if she is scheduled to go to either of these houses. Obviously there is some confusion about the situation. I'll keep everyone posted!
Old 08-11-2006, 02:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I could be wrong but a DphiE I know here said they'd done formal recruitment along with all the other GLO's in the past but were not going to this year "like SDT" I just assumed they were doing something informal instead? I will ask tomorrow. Sorry for confusion...I should not have said anything.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:23 AM
GreekChat Member

The latest word I heard was that DPhiE had discussed not doing formal recruitment, but had decided to after all. SDT has participated in formal recruitment and has done pretty well since my freshman year (Fall '01), and I never heard that they might be leaving formal recruitment. Perhaps she was referring to the rumor that DPhiE may be returning to their traditionally Jewish roots like those of SDT?

Good luck to your friend!!!!
Old 08-11-2006, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I think it was said in another thread that DPhiE is participating in formal recruitment as part of a chapter reorganization.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Just got back from UGA and both DPhiE and SDT are participating. So my bad for earlier saying they were not.

The chapter president told me that they were having about 72 girls per party -- 11 today. So multiply that by the 18 sororities there and that is almost 1300 girls registered for recruitment!!! Wow!!

It appeared that UGA Panhel underwrote the cost to erect canvas tent-tops in front of each house to try and offset the heat. Every house had them - none did last year. Today was slightly overcast - though still scorching - so they were not needed as much.

I was very proud of our chapter - they had such energy today! I loved what they all wore: white dresses (most were strapless) with a bright colorful sash and complementary pumps/heels.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Day One

I just got done talking to my friend online! I was waiting all day for her update. She had a blast, but it was a scorcher outside. And for everyone who has been through rush before (especially at an SEC school) it is a long day indeed. She went to 11 houses today and here's what she thought of them (in order of preference).

Katherine Hepburn - Very nice house and landscaping. Girls were energetic and engaging. Wasn't expecting anything special, but really got along great with the girls. Many of the girls rushing her shared similar interests.

Jane Fonda - Really enjoyed going to this house. The girls were very upbeat, beautiful, and fun. One of the more competetive sororities on campus, but were all genuinely nice and seemed happy to have her.

Shelley Winters - Absolutely loved the girls at this house. They were all down to earth and the conversation took off instantly. The house was quite stunning, and she is really hoping to get invited back to this one.

Bette Davis - This was her first house of the day, which was intimidating. However, she really connected with several of the girls she talked to. Although she really enjoyed this house, she is not sure if she could fit in there.

Grace Kelly - Although this was one of her prospective favorites, she didn't feel at home as much as she had thought she would. The girls were all very sweet and enthusiastic. Their house was really "cute." She wants to go back because she feels the few girls she talked to she didn't get a chance to make a connection with yet.

Barbara Streisand - My friend loved this house, and the girls were all very beautiful and welcoming. She's not sure she can fit in here yet, but she would love a chance to meet some more of the girls, and find out more about the sorority.

Lauren Bacall - This house was very overwhelming. The girls were are very pretty and friendly, but my friend didn't get much of a chance to connect with any of the girls. She talked to a lot of people, and none of them really clicked with her. However she would like to give this house a second chance.

Dorothy Dandridge - This is a house many of her friend's have encouraged her to join. She however, does not feel like it would be the right fit for her. While all the girls were very friendly and interesting, she does not feel like this could be a home. She would like to go back and see if anything changes.

Julie Andrews - My friend didn't feel like she made a real bond with any of the girls here. The conversation seemed to lag, and the girls didn't really seem to be interested in her. She doesn't feel like she'd like to go back to this house.

Judy Garland - She said this house had a lot of very sweet girls, but that she doesn't see herself as becoming a part of this sorority. She really liked one girl she talked to, but the others didn't seem to have much in common with her.

Ava Gardner - Many of the girls were really nice at this house, however she feels it is not the place for her. She did not make a connection with any of the girls at this house. She felt pressured to ask alot of questions, and she can not see herself as becoming a part of this sorority.

I am so excited to be living vicariously through her. I know she will find a great home! The rest of round one is tomorrow (7 houses) and I will update when I hear from her.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

thanks kdlady06. i am so excited for your friend.it is great that she is hoping to get to visit some of the houses that did not sell her yet-that shows wisdom beyond her years!! i hope she has as much fun tomorrow and gets asked back to all her favorites.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Does KD have a UGA chapter?

Good luck to your friend! I'm glad to hear that she had a fairly full day with lots of parties. I hope she's having fun.