GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,102
2 members and 1,100 guests
indygphib, Sarak24034

Old 07-23-2007, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Sponsorships questions

Thank you for the PMs and replies!

Last edited by daisy_girl; 07-23-2007 at 02:58 PM. Reason: info received
Old 07-23-2007, 01:32 PM

This is just my personal opinion, but I would just wait to hear back from the HQ ("national") of the sorority. They will direct you as to how to proceed.

That is generally how it works in my particular sorority. I understand that every sorority is different.

Not that you might be doing or considering doing this, but I will share that it is frowned upon to solicit sponsorship from this site. Not every sorority alumna supports that idea, so just be aware. Good luck!

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:40 PM

Not only that - but not all alumnae are aware of the alumnae initiation concept and they may misunderstand. They may think you are an already initiated member of a collegiate chapter, looking for an alumnae chapter to join. By the time you explain what you're trying to do, it can be a real mess.

DO NOT approach active members or alums until/unless the national HQ says it is alright to do so.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I would also like to echo that you should wait to hear back from national HQ, especially considering some organizations consider AI strictly an honor set aside for nominated women, not necessarily women pursuing the organization. Moving forward before you know what the HQ says about AI for their organization would be a bad idea.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I wouldn't recommend approaching members with the intent to request sponsorship.

However, if you want to approach them with the intent to help them with an activity like a community service project, presenting an educational workshop to a collegiate chapter (IE: resume writing, how to ace a job interview, nutrition and health, etc.) or becoming a sponsor for an alumnae association charity event, that would be one way to get your foot in the door.

Once your foot is in the door, you can meet these people and see if you would enjoy the local alumnae group. From there, it seems you would make some friends. You would follow up-- go shopping, have lunch, invite them to your home for a summer BBQ, etc.

Over time, you might bring up how much you admire the sorority and their involvement. And then go on to say that you would love to have the opportunity to be part of such an organization. See what they say.

Many sorority women (collegiate and alumnae) are not even aware that there is an Alumnae Initiate program in their organization. If once you have made a good sorority friend, you make your interest known and share with her what you have learned about AI in her sorority, I imagine she would either immediately get involved to help you, or she might need to "think about it."

So basically, don't approach someone to be a sorority sponsor. I think it is better to first make a sorority friend before you ask her to become your sorority sister.

ETA: I think it is very hard to commit to interest in a sorority based on a brief encounter, a rush experience 10 years ago or based on what you have read about a national group online. The traditions may be the same, but every alumnae chapter is different-- if you become an alumna initiate, you are going to be part of the alumnae chapter in your neighborhood. These are your "sisters." It doesn't make much sense to pursue an organization when you don't even know if you're going to like the people or the local programs, regardless of how much you admire its ideals. Admiring ideals doesn't mean much when you are spending time with people you have nothing in common with.

Last edited by adpiucf; 07-23-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Many sorority women (collegiate and alumnae) are not even aware that there is an Alumnae Initiate program in their organization.
I have to agree with this. There was an alumna initiate who got initiated with my pearl class. Up until that point, no one in the chapter, or alumnae, or the chapter advisor even knew that this was possible to do.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Without giving too much info out, I have a strong affiliation; I just do not have current contact information for those I knew previously.

ETA: I found their local alum website and it has information on who to contact locally for this issue.
Thank you for your replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post

ETA: I think it is very hard to commit to interest in a sorority based on a brief encounter, a rush experience 10 years ago or based on what you have read about a national group online. The traditions may be the same, but every alumnae chapter is different-- if you become an alumna initiate, you are going to be part of the alumnae chapter in your neighborhood. These are your "sisters." It doesn't make much sense to pursue an organization when you don't even know if you're going to like the people or the local programs, regardless of how much you admire its ideals. Admiring ideals doesn't mean much when you are spending time with people you have nothing in common with.

Last edited by daisy_girl; 07-23-2007 at 02:43 PM.