GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Gamma > Gamma Phi Beta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,275
3 members and 1,272 guests
naraht, Shellfish

Old 08-30-2016, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

New GPB member! :)

Hello!

I am joining this form to figure out how to get a better experience being Greek. I am a newly inducted Gamma Phi Beta. I was initiated as an alum so I didn't get the same experience as some others. I am from Texas, currently working on my Masters in Higher Education at Texas A&M University-Commerce.

Look forward to meeting other Gamma Phi's.

Elizabeth
Old 08-30-2016, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGamma1874 View Post
Hello!

I am joining this form to figure out how to get a better experience being Greek. I am a newly inducted Gamma Phi Beta. I was initiated as an alum so I didn't get the same experience as some others. I am from Texas, currently working on my Masters in Higher Education at Texas A&M University-Commerce.

Look forward to meeting other Gamma Phi's.

Elizabeth

Welcome, Elizabeth! I am an alumna initiate as well - I initiated in 2004!

Please do stop by our sub-forum at: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/fo...play.php?f=136

True and Constant
Old 08-30-2016, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you! I am feeling a little lost with this process so definitely nice to meet another alumna initiate.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi! I'm also an alum initiate, and I live in Fort Worth. Welcome to our sisterhood.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay! Love meeting other Texas sisters!
Old 08-31-2016, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydancer View Post
Hi! I'm also an alum initiate, and I live in Fort Worth. Welcome to our sisterhood.
When are we ever going to get you to an alumnae event? 😉
Old 08-31-2016, 06:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Jeni, I really do want to come and be more active. My health is not good some of the time and I don't drive at night. If you could, please put me on your email list if I'm not already on it. I miss being active in the TCU group.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi! Welcome to Gamma Phi Beta!
There are many volunteer roles available via the GPB site:
https://www.gammaphibeta.org/user/vo...teer-positions

I have an RC teammate who is involved with our chapter at A&M Commerce, and can connect you to her if you're interested in possibly working with collegians.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

For a new AI, I would recommend getting involved with your local alumnae chapter for a couple of years to enjoy the benefits of being a sister in our beloved Gamma Phi Beta. This would help you get a lay of the land and get to know your sisters. If you wanted to step-up a bit, you could take on an officer position in the alumnae chapter.

If you wanted to expand your horizons more, I would definitely suggest volunteering with a local collegiate chapter or affiliated house corporation board (the board that oversees the local sorority house facility). This is a *great* way to get to know the collegiate women and learn about the business operations of the sorority. Attend regional conferences and convention - so much fun and lots to learn!

Then, if you *really* wanted to up your game in a few years, you can take on one of the higher-level volunteer positions joliebelle mentioned in the link. These will really put you in the thick of it. But, speaking from experience as an AI myself, you will want to have a knowledge and experience base first before tackling a regional director position. BUT, you *are* eligible for all positions all the way up to International President! AIs are full members just like everyone else!

True and Constant
Old 08-31-2016, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

^^ This. I suppose I jumped the gun a wee bit :P Point being...there are so many ways to get involved as an alumna.
Alumnae chapters really are a great way to get involved easily on the local level. I have been Alumnae chapter president for 3 years before getting my RC role.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydancer View Post
Jeni, I really do want to come and be more active. My health is not good some of the time and I don't drive at night. If you could, please put me on your email list if I'm not already on it. I miss being active in the TCU group.
Private message me your email and I'll make sure to get you a copy of our fall calendar. We do have at least three day time events planned and would love to see you!
Old 09-02-2016, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
For a new AI, I would recommend getting involved with your local alumnae chapter for a couple of years to enjoy the benefits of being a sister in our beloved Gamma Phi Beta. This would help you get a lay of the land and get to know your sisters. If you wanted to step-up a bit, you could take on an officer position in the alumnae chapter.

If you wanted to expand your horizons more, I would definitely suggest volunteering with a local collegiate chapter or affiliated house corporation board (the board that oversees the local sorority house facility). This is a *great* way to get to know the collegiate women and learn about the business operations of the sorority. Attend regional conferences and convention - so much fun and lots to learn!

Then, if you *really* wanted to up your game in a few years, you can take on one of the higher-level volunteer positions joliebelle mentioned in the link. These will really put you in the thick of it. But, speaking from experience as an AI myself, you will want to have a knowledge and experience base first before tackling a regional director position. BUT, you *are* eligible for all positions all the way up to International President! AIs are full members just like everyone else!
Thank you so much for this information! This is really great to know how to get involved since it's different being an AI.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliebelle View Post
Hi! Welcome to Gamma Phi Beta!
There are many volunteer roles available via the GPB site:
https://www.gammaphibeta.org/user/vo...teer-positions

I have an RC teammate who is involved with our chapter at A&M Commerce, and can connect you to her if you're interested in possibly working with collegians.
Thank you so much. I've filled out the volunteer form on GPB website. Also, I'm in contact with a few people here at A&M Commerce.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGamma1874 View Post
Thank you so much. I've filled out the volunteer form on GPB website. Also, I'm in contact with a few people here at A&M Commerce.
I'm not certain how close to Dallas you are but I know when I was very active in the Dallas Alumnae Chapter we occasionally did things with the Northeast Texas chapter (I'm guessing this was your sponsoring alumnae chapter?) and Dallas definitely is large has a very robust activity calendar so perhaps attending a couple of events there would be fun to so you can meet more women? They have a couple of weekend events coming up - a State Fair night, Founders Day, etc.

Members are welcome to attend events from more than one chapter and unlike collegians (who are active members in one chapter only) can actually hold membership in multiple alumnae chapters. For example, I'm an officer for Greater Fort Worth and attend most of that chapter's events as that is where I live. But I also occasionally attend Dallas events because I work in Dallas and was active I that chapter for many years when I lived there.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenidallas View Post
I'm not certain how close to Dallas you are but I know when I was very active in the Dallas Alumnae Chapter we occasionally did things with the Northeast Texas chapter (I'm guessing this was your sponsoring alumnae chapter?) and Dallas definitely is large has a very robust activity calendar so perhaps attending a couple of events there would be fun to so you can meet more women? They have a couple of weekend events coming up - a State Fair night, Founders Day, etc.

Members are welcome to attend events from more than one chapter and unlike collegians (who are active members in one chapter only) can actually hold membership in multiple alumnae chapters. For example, I'm an officer for Greater Fort Worth and attend most of that chapter's events as that is where I live. But I also occasionally attend Dallas events because I work in Dallas and was active I that chapter for many years when I lived there.

This is all good information to know! I can't thank you ladies enough. With recruitment going on at Commerce, it's been a struggle to figure out my fit so this has all been most helpful! Is there anyway you can help me get In contact with the Dallas Chapter? I'm really not that far from Dallas. I follow them on Facebook but I would like to reach out to the president.

Thank you again!