GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,041
0 members and 1,041 guests
No Members online

Old 08-21-2002, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Great another person who ASSuMEd.FYI I attended school in Alabama for 2 years before I transferred so guess what? I do know what Alabama is like because I LIVED THERE.Open your eyes sweetheart.
I'm not debating this issue with you. Obviously, you consider yourself an expert on the subject. Surely after two years, you have seen everything and met everyone in the whole state. I'm certain that your opinion is not biased in any way and that you would never be guilty of stereotyping any group, least of all white southerners.

I have lived in Alabama for 22 of my 27 years, and not all of those years were lived out in the sequestered environment of a college campus. I'm sorry that the experiences you had while here in this state led you to believe that every single person who lives here is a racist jerk. I lived in a northern state for a while (I won't say which one because it's irrelevant). While I lived there, I noticed much more segregation in general than I have ever seen here in AL.

Either way, bickering back and forth on an internet message board isn't going to solve anything.

When did you attend the U of A and which GLO were you a member of?
Old 08-21-2002, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Actually, neicy81, if you go back and read my original post, I never once said anything about you personally. I didn't say you had or had not visited anywhere, only that most people don't know what it is like to live here and that the great majority of people who have not visited the South get their images of life here from movies and television shows which do not often portray life in an accurate manner. I really wasn't quoting anybody in particular, and I didn't take notes on who said what in which post. I was only remarking on the general consensus on this message board which seems to be that Alabama is a racist place full of bigots who dress in blackface, burn crosses and won't let an African American woman join our sororities just because of her skin tone.

Again, I'm not going to debate you on the racial issue. I wasn't referring specifically to you and I certainly didn't post that as a personal attack. I just wanted to voice my opnion on the subject.

Furthermore, you can definitely hold an opinion of something after a year or two. As a matter of fact, you can form an opinon of anything and anyone in only a few minutes. (I, for example, have now formed an opinion about you without even having met you). But to have an informed opinion is another thing entirely, and I think that you have, as you so eloquently put it, ASSuMEd wrongly about the people of this state. You also ASSuMed that I care about what you think of me as a person. I don't know you, and your opinion doesn't rank too highly in my book. All I can do is say what I know or believe to be true.

Quote:
How do you know the African American woman wasn't rejected because of her race?Were you there?Did you personally reject her?Or did you call one of the members and just took their good hearty word?
I was there. I can't speak for every house, but at my house her being dropped had nothing to do with race. She was a junior, she was incredibly rude and she had a bad reputation. She got cut. You seem terribly familiar with the issue... were you there? Do you know, without a shadow of a doubt, that it was a racial issue? Have you ever actually met Melody Twilley? I am "ASSuME"-ing that were not there, that you are not a member of an NPC sorority at UA and that you have not met her in person. Perhaps you should stop ASSuME-ing and open YOUR eyes, sweetheart.

Goodnight, all. Have a great rest of the week!

Last edited by Bama_Alumna; 08-21-2002 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-21-2002, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: That's enough.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bama_Alumna
...I don't have a rebel flag in my yard, I don't drive a pickup truck, I don't know anyone who talks like Forrest Gump,...
None of those things are racist. While the stigma attached to the aforementioned bares negative connatations, also, therein lies another prejudice: the idea that a rebel flag, pick up truck, and heavy, retarded southern accent precede ignorance.

I know you all feel strongly about whatever, but please refrain from the degradation of others feelings, beliefs, values, heritage, blah etc. blah.
Old 08-21-2002, 08:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Laws vs. Morals

Quote:
Originally posted by IvySpice
To denounce the blackface Halloween costumes is not to denounce freedom of expression.

I don't believe that anyone has suggested putting anyone in jail because of their expression. Certainly these men had a First Amendment right to wear the clothes they wanted to wear, and we don't want to the government to prevent them from doing so. (As long as the expression is not a threat; threats are not covered by the First Amendment.)

Those of us who are denouncing these ignorant, cruel young men want, instead, for the world to hear a thousand antiracist voices for every racist voice. We want racists to know that these expressions will earn them the moral contempt of thinking people.

They have a right to wear blackface (or a white sheet); we have a right to condemn this choice, and the chooser, as racist and worthy of our disgust.

Ivy
Exactly right, IvySpice. Everyone has a constitutional right to demonstrate his or her stupidity to the rest of the world. And the rest of us have a constitutional right to call them on it.
Old 08-21-2002, 08:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to zchi2
Question

People act like she only came out to rush once. She came out twice. And from looking at the list of greek organizations in PHC, I don't understand why NO ONE decided she was "good enough" for their sorority. I don't know about your sorority, but a lot of times people aren't just going to come out and say "let's not pick her because she's black." But lets not act like that wasn't on people's minds. I wouldn't be surprised if people were looking hard for bad things about her, so they could feel justified in not giving her a bid.

And also saying that black people don't usually come out to rush is a problem all in itself. How many minorities in general are in the IFC and PHC? If you can count them, then it's a problem. Apparently the IFC and PHC climate in Alabama is not welcoming to minorities and that is why very few come out to rush. Well I forgot, there were three or four biracial people (who were probably very light skinned) who were privilege enough to get a bid through out the entire history of the greek system at Alabama so no one can't possibly think the greek system is racist, Right?
Old 08-21-2002, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Alabama Omega

What's up group?! We've somewhat diverted from the original topic of this thread. I'm a lifetime native of Alabama..

Born in Birmingham... raised in Birmingham... schooled in Birmingham.. Pleadged in Birmingham.. and an Alum of the University of Alabama in Birmingham.

I'm also an local officer of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity whose very close to the Sigma Delta Chapter of Omega Psi Phi at Auburn U.

The Bruhs were the 1st Black Fraternity on the yard at Auburn (founded May 19, 1972) and are very visible and active on campus.

I state this to be factually correct.. The Fraternity in QUEStion that wore our Frat shirts DID NOT HAVE PERMISSON nor RECEIVED SAID SHIRTS FROM US !!! The Fraternity just purchased those shirts from the campus bookstore for their lampoon.

When the Bruhs found out about the Halloween episode, they went to said Fraternities house and retrieved our shirts from them.

Although we have freedoms, you must have permission to use / wear Omega Psi Phi letters if you're not a member of the Fraternity.

The dressing up for halloween portraying lynchings and such is legally defendable but morally incomprehensable.
Old 08-21-2002, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to uluvdisRED
Re: Re: Re: Re: What are you saying?

Quote:
Originally posted by neicy81

It's NOT funny.Blackface isn't funny at all considering this isn't 1920.I guess I should put on whiteface and go to Abercrombie and Fitch, use the word like no less than 20 times in one sentence and walk around with a surfboard and sandals in 20 degree weather.Yes that would be funny FYI.
The reality is that the greek system is greatly segregated, and Alabama for many is the last bastion of Dixie. Speaking from experience, Alabama isn't the most African-American friendly place to be. But the division is not only in Alabama, we're divided in cyberspace as well. For instance, how many of you have gone to any of the BGLO forums and participated in conversation?
Old 08-21-2002, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to uluvdisRED
Re: Alabama Omega

Quote:
Originally posted by Swamp Thang
What's up group?! We've somewhat diverted from the original topic of this thread. I'm a lifetime native of Alabama..

Born in Birmingham... raised in Birmingham... schooled in Birmingham.. Pleadged in Birmingham.. and an Alum of the University of Alabama in Birmingham.

I'm also an local officer of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity whose very close to the Sigma Delta Chapter of Omega Psi Phi at Auburn U.

The Bruhs were the 1st Black Fraternity on the yard at Auburn (founded May 19, 1972) and are very visible and active on campus.

I state this to be factually correct.. The Fraternity in QUEStion that wore our Frat shirts DID NOT HAVE PERMISSON nor RECEIVED SAID SHIRTS FROM US !!! The Fraternity just purchased those shirts from the campus bookstore for their lampoon.

When the Bruhs found out about the Halloween episode, they went to said Fraternities house and retrieved our shirts from them.

Although we have freedoms, you must have permission to use / wear Omega Psi Phi letters if you're not a member of the Fraternity.

The dressing up for halloween portraying lynchings and such is legally defendable but morally incomprehensable.
Whoa! These cats actually had your pere on?!
Old 08-21-2002, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Let's get back to the issuse at hand.

I am an African American that is in a NPC sorority. I have visited Alabama many times. I absoultely love it there. I have found that Alabama is one of the most friendly states that I have ever been. With that said, I must say that Alabama has it problems just like any other state with racisim. Yeah, it my be a little more divided in certain parts of Alabama. Espically (sp?) when it comes to college campuses. The fact that UA has yet to offer a bid to any African American, just floors me.

When I went though rush the first thing that came in my mind is what if they don't like me. Not if, what if they don't like me because I am black. But when I went through rush at my school it was the first time that any African Americans went through and to have 3 that says a lot. I know that my campus is not the size of UA (actually is a lot smaller).

But have they done things to promote multiculturalism within their rush? It sounds to me they haven't. It sounds like they like it the way it is. And they want to keep it that way. What if UA had 50 African Amrerican females to apply for rush? Would all the chapters cut them because of something petty? I think they might. But the chapters what to make quota, so they might not cut them then. Just because someone is a junior does not mean that they cannot rush. Look at all the times (here on GC) that someone who is an upperclassman and we tell they to go ahead and rush and be upfront with them about your class status. To cut someone because they are a junior is very petty. Who's to say they cannot give you one good year? I know that you pointed out that she was rude too. Can you give me/us some rude things that she did? Or would that violate your voting procedure? I know you were there we weren't.

As for the Houston female. I am completly upset with her. How can she be so navie about her sisters? If they can use the N word in front of her and then say that they don't think of her like that. They do! For them to say it in front of her shows that they have NO RESPECT for her at all!! Like Houston said they are denying her other part.

I must be very fortunate that one of my sisters has not used that word in front of me. Everyone knows how I feel about that word, and if they said that word in front of me out of anger of what someone else did to them. I will not speak to them anymore, because I have lost all respect for them (because I do not use that word at all). I just really suprised that she has yet to lose respect for some of her sisters. Because that is very offending.
Old 08-21-2002, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Neicy - please get a clue

>>I'm sure you are not so naive as to not know that Alabama is one of the most racist states in the world<<

I have no idea where you got your statistical information on this subject, but I have a news flash for you - racism is EVERYWHERE. It most probably even exists in your enlightened Chicago, IL.
I am an Alabama native, and YES, racism exists here, but I have also travelled extensively, and Neicy, racism exists in every part of the world, and it isn't only limited to black vs. white. For you to make snap assumptions about a part of the country to which you have never been is fairly small-minded and bigotted of you, don't you think?
Old 08-21-2002, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Red face

My issue with this is: If UA has the racial problems that they claim to have, how on earth can a MULTICULTURAL sorority
survive on that campus?

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 08-21-2002, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to zchi2
Re: Neicy - please get a clue

Quote:
Originally posted by oldhasbeen
>>I'm sure you are not so naive as to not know that Alabama is one of the most racist states in the world<<

I have no idea where you got your statistical information on this subject, but I have a news flash for you - racism is EVERYWHERE. It most probably even exists in your enlightened Chicago, IL.
I am an Alabama native, and YES, racism exists here, but I have also travelled extensively, and Neicy, racism exists in every part of the world, and it isn't only limited to black vs. white. For you to make snap assumptions about a part of the country to which you have never been is fairly small-minded and bigotted of you, don't you think?
Neicy said she was there for two years!!
Old 08-21-2002, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kevlar281
Quote:
Originally posted by neicy81
I said it is one of the most racist states.
Just so I am clear where is Texas on that list?
Old 08-21-2002, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

my apology

>>Neicy said she was there for two years!!<<

My sincere apology - let me rephrase. Neicy, for someone who is not a resident of Alabama and who's experience in Alabama was on a college campus, you make a wide array of blanket assumptions.
Racism, hatred, small-mindedness, they are everywhere, and they are most certainly not limited to southern states.
Old 08-21-2002, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PotentialPledge
Not to discount what Neicy has said, but there is a stigma on the south that probably will never be undone. Im from DC and I go to school in Mass. I think the people up there have stereotypes of the south. They say they dont like yankees, they say the south hasnt gotten over the civil war. I couldnt believe I was hearing this stuff from those people. I convinced one of my good friends to go to Emory for grad school, and she loves it. Yes, I have experienced racism in the Alabama, my mom is from Decatur and Huntsville areas, but I have also experienced racism in the north like Massachusetts. Moreover, I have met some great people that were white in Alabama and all over the south. Racism is ubiquitous (sp?), and I think we as youths of the nation need to start tearing down the walls and barriers. These are just my thoughts.