GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,103
2 members and 1,101 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 11-09-2008, 04:14 AM
Banned

Do your parents like your girlfriend or boyfriend? Would you break up if they didn't?

This is my first thread and this isn't a real life thing here. It has happened to me before, but right now I'm single so it's nothing recent. If you're in a relationship, do your parents like your girlfriend or boyfriend, husband or wife? Would you break up with your girlfriend or boy friend because of it? Has this ever happened to you?

I think I would have to weigh it out. I would want my familiy to accept who I'm with, but if they didn't I would ask why and just watch for those signs if they came about.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
My parents really like my boyfriend and it makes me really happy. My parents and I are very close so it's important to me that they like whoever I'm dating. However, they are also really good at not letting me know who they like and don't like unless they feel something is really wrong or dangerous, they like me to make my own decisions which is nice. But I can definitely tell that they really like my boyfriend, though my mom didn't at first lol.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceniczip View Post
My parents really like my boyfriend and it makes me really happy. My parents and I are very close so it's important to me that they like whoever I'm dating. However, they are also really good at not letting me know who they like and don't like unless they feel something is really wrong or dangerous, they like me to make my own decisions which is nice. But I can definitely tell that they really like my boyfriend, though my mom didn't at first lol.
They tell me they like all of my boyfriends until it gets to the point where the boyfriend is just a jackass. You can definitely tell, though, that my dad really likes my current boyfriend a lot. He was there for me when my mom died, he's doing really well in life, and my dad was the one who made the suggestion that he and I move in together.

You don't tell your kid to "live in sin" unless you really like the guy!
Old 11-09-2008, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't have a bf now, but my parents LOVED my last one to the point where, when I wanted to break up with him, they tried to talk me out of it. It was a sticky situation, but they really cared for him and my family still asks occasionally if I'd consider talking to him again and rekindling our friendship (even though it ended badly, we were friends first).

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 11-09-2008, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

My parents never expressed dislike of anybody I dated until after we broke up and then my dad would always say "I never liked that kid anyway". I think it was actually his way of being supportive after a break-up. Either that, or he really wouldn't ever like anybody I dated .. the old "Nobody is good enough for my little girl" mentality.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:09 PM

My father took an immediate and intense dislike to my husband. DH was a "heathen" (read: not Catholic), we were having premarital sex (horrors!), and we lived together for a while before we got married.

I married him anyway.

At our wedding, my father refused to do any of the usual father-of-the-bride stuff. He even threatened not to attend at all (I think my mom twisted his arm). Mom walked me down the aisle.

It's my life, not my father's. The decisions I make in life, including my choice of husband, are mine, not his.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

As a parent, I try to find something to like in my girls' boyfriends. I love gypsyboot's beau! They are smart, level-headed girls, and I trust them. Even if I didn't particularly like a boy, I'd keep my mouth shut.

Unless the boy in question were verbally or physically abusing her. Then it's Katy bar the door! (After my grandmother's death I heard about her threatening the HORRIBLY abuse husband of my aunt with a shotgun when he tried to pursue her - go Grandmere!)
Old 11-09-2008, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OHNOITSJESS
my parents hate my boyfriend. or any guy that talks to me for that matter. {yaay for culturally different overprotected only female children.}
They won't even meet him and he is such a gentleman. [It was his idea for me to tell my parents he exists, and to try to get their permission to date him... which failed, but we're still together] But i'm still working him in.... very slowly.
[like molasses on a winter day slow]
Old 11-09-2008, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

My parents haven't met my current boyfriend, but I know they'll love him. I told my grandma all about him and she said "I like him already!" Hahah YES!

I don't think my parents have ever been SUPER opposed to anyone I've dated, but I would take that into consideration if it happened.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

My parents love my wife. When we were dating, it wouldn't have made a difference either way, and it wouldn't make a difference now. It makes things a lot easier, though...
Old 11-09-2008, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNOITSJESS View Post
my parents hate my boyfriend. or any guy that talks to me for that matter. {yaay for culturally different overprotected only female children.}
Sounds like my mom. As much as I love my mom, she is a typical Mexican mother. When I was in HS she told me, "I don't want you dating [insert specific race/ethnicity]. You can have them as friends, but not as a boyfriend."

Well I am partial to dating that specific race/ethnicity that she mentioned. She's met people i've dated, she just didn't know I was dating them. I'm not sure what would happen if I brought home someone I was dating. I guess that is why i'm very hesitant about dating anyone right now (since i'm living at home).
Old 11-09-2008, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamfulSpirit
My parents really like my b/f!! They know that he treats me very well, caring, and really sweet to me. February will be 2 years for us. This year, we decided that for my birthday we were gonna go away out of town (especially since my birthday fell on a weekend that he had off). As a surprise, he called and asked my parents permission to fly me out to Phoenix (where I graduated HS, and went to Arizona State for 3 years)! He's the sweetest guy I've ever met and love him very much!
Old 11-09-2008, 10:12 PM

My parents have usually kept their opinions to themselves when it comes to the people I date. I would like for my parents to love every guy I date, but sometimes they don't. They don't usually tell me though, I find out via my brother or something.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

My parents never expressed dislike until the relationship was over, but I could usually tell. Either way, their opinion didn't matter that much. What did matter was my brother's. If he didn't like the boy, then there would be a dark cloud above me. The current boyfriend I believe is the first or second one he has actually liked. I mean they go out and play pool and get drinks together. This is how I know I am dating a good catch.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:58 AM
GreekChat Member

My parents only met 3 of my lady friends.

1st one: When I brought her home, I had to tell her to put on a sweater or something to cover herself up. My parents said she was nice, but not nice for me. They said she was too fast for me. I didn't listen to them and found out the hard way. They were right..she was a hoe. I should have known that by the way she was dressed when I 1st met her.

2nd one: They both said she was pretty. My mom liked her up until we split, and my dad never liked her from day one. I learned the hard way with that one too. Plus, she slept with too many jokers anyway.

3rd and current one: They only met her once so they really haven't formed an opinion about her yet. The only thing they said (so far) was that she's pretty and seems to be more my speed. Slooooooooow.

ETA: In my past relationships, I never was good at catching some of the games they played on me. My Dad and my brother on the other hand, who I'm very close to can see the games a mile away.
Romans 1:16

Last edited by PrettyBoy; 11-10-2008 at 03:11 AM.