GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 2,107
1 members and 2,106 guests
FSUZeta

Old 11-08-2000, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
There used to be a cool class here called: How to lie with statistics. . .

I'm not a Bush supporter but it may be unfair to lambast him for some of the problems he no doubt inherited in his state.

It would be better to analyze the steps he took to change the problems and whether those steps had impact.

I also was a Nader supporter . . .

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-08-2000, 02:51 PM
c&c1913

Isn't it ironic that in all of the 50 states of this union, the one state that will/can determine the president is governed by the candidate's brother? Hmmm.... what a coincidence.
Old 11-08-2000, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

The winner has not even been determined yet, and so many of you are saying its already a conspiracy! What if Gore wins - will you still be thinking that? I have stated from the beginning that Bush is my choice based on my perception of the ISSUES. That is what matters - not stats, not myths, and not personality conflicts. Like I said before - it is out of our hands now. Its ironic to me that George was declared the winner, Gore conceeded, and then all of a sudden its a recount...hmmm...
Old 11-08-2000, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

It's also ironic that Florida went to Gore...then undecided...then to Dubya.
And ol' Jeb (Dubya's brother ) is the governor of Florida. Something is rotten in FLORIDA...
But seriuosly though...I can't wait for this to be over so that I can start my pissing and moaning at whom ever get's it ...I can do that BECAUSE I VOTED!!!!

[This message has been edited by Franny Granny (edited November 08, 2000).]
Old 11-08-2000, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow

Here is a link with interesting facts about the electoral college:
www.policy.com/news/dbrief/dbriefarc770.asp.
If this link doesn't work you can go to www.policy.com and do a search on electoral college.

[This message has been edited by MIDWESTDIVA (edited November 08, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by MIDWESTDIVA (edited November 08, 2000).]
Old 11-08-2000, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Totally Apart from the issues.....is anybody scared at all about what an uneducated man George W. gives the appearance of being. While he did his undergrad at Yale, and masters from Harvard, Daddy bought his way into both institutions where he graduated with sub-par grades. The man can't even put together a grammatically comprehensible statement without the aid of his speechwriters. Is this the man we want representing our nation to the world. Under Democrats, the nation has prospered for the last 8 years. Hopefully, the missing ballot boxes will appear, the mismarked ballots will be corrected, and Gore will be elected.

[This message has been edited by NewInFL (edited November 08, 2000).]
Old 11-08-2000, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I just feel sorry for minorities and any of us other "special preferences" people if G.W.B. gets in.
Us negras better run for we are back down south and not by choice if you get my drift.
Old 11-08-2000, 10:09 PM

Who is a member of the fraternity that has done the most to fight the attacks from radically liberal school administrators on the Greek system? Who believes that the people should control the government, not the other way around? I'll give you a hint - it ain't Gore.

On a lighter note, what was Dan Rather smoking last night, and is it legal in the U.S. or Canada? He out-Dennis Millered Dennis Miller.
Old 11-08-2000, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl:
On a lighter note, what was Dan Rather smoking last night, and is it legal in the U.S. or Canada? He out-Dennis Millered Dennis Miller.
I was rolling when he was talking to the analysts, and they kept saying "if this" and "if that" - and then out of no where he kinda yelled "yeah - yeah - yeah, and IF frogs had sidepockets they'd carry handguns, but they don't so let's forget the if's" - I love it! Too funny!
Old 11-09-2000, 12:35 AM

As a Florida resident, this is all extremely fascinating. My state is the focus on what will happen in our country for the next 4 years. I am so glad that they are doing a recount. I do not agree with EVERYTHING that Gore stands for but I think he is the lesser of two evils. After reading those Texas statistics, it's very scary to think that Bush might be our next president.
Old 11-09-2000, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree!! I was just discussing this issue with a coworker this morning. It is an unfair and unjust system. The president should not get ALL the electoral votes for a state where only 50.1% of the people voted for him. It is possible (and I beleive it has already happened) where the candidate who receives the majority of the popular vote LOSES because of the electoral vote process.

Quote:
Originally posted by AXO Alum:

As far as the election goes - I think it says a lot that Al had already conceded to George, and then recanted. I will say that regardless of the winner, I am anxiously awaiting the Constitutional Amendment that will abolish the Electoral College. I have never met anyone who approved of our current process, and would be happy to hear from anyone that does. I think it should be the popular vote. The voice of the people.

------------------
mccoyred

Dynamic
Salient
Temperate
Old 11-09-2000, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AXO Alum:

As far as the election goes - I think it says a lot that Al had already conceded to George, and then recanted.
That doesn't say anything at all. The Bush and Gore camps got their information from the same place the rest of us did, the media. Some major news papers went so far as to release early editions announcing Bush the winner. When Gore conceeded, he was under the impression that Bush won, just like Dewgirl was under the impression that Bush won when she created this thread. I think we need to get rid of media coverage of the "results." They're misleading. How much sense does it make to say someone is the "winner" when less than 90% of the votes are tallied. It's stupid and leads to confusion, like we have now. The RESPONSIBILE thing for the media to do, since we all knew it was going to be a close race, would be to get ALL the facts before they declare or project a winner, including getting an absentee ballot count. As it stands now, it may be days before we know who really won this election. Several other states are following Florida's lead and recounting the ballots. CNN reported a worker in a day care center that was used as a polling place in Florida found a box of ballots that was left behind. This is far from over.

Old 11-09-2000, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

The voice of the people has spoken and Al Gore has won the popular vote nationally, by a good 200,000 votes. Even if Dubya wins Florida, it will not be enough to give him the popular vote nationally.
I think that everything going on in Florida (and Missouri) is suspicious and a travesty on the part of the system to say the least.
It is reminiscent of the types of gerrymandering that took place before the passage of the voter's rights act. I quite frankly am disgusted and don't doubt for a moment that Jeb had a hand in this. Something needs to be done, they can't just get away with this kind of corruption.
AXO Alum- We have all heard the statistics speech before. As a Christian doesn't your bible tell you that vengeance belongs to God?
Old 11-09-2000, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
I won't get into my personal beliefs and details about who I think should (and will) win, but, let me say this about the election results:

WOW

Regardless of who wins this election, and I believe it could still go either way (the miracle of statistics and the Electoral College)...think of the history we are living to see...the closest race since 1960, possibly one of the closest races EVER (though I believe I heard Thomas Jefferson won by one vote way back when...). This is definitely something you can tell your children and grandchildren about. It reminds me of the Dewey/Truman race and the Cleveland paper goofing.

I still hope things turn out the way I voted, but, if not, wow, what a ride. Even with the media's trying to call the race early by goofing on Florida, twice thus far (watch this to become a true issue in the NEXT election - calling states two minutes after polls start to close in the state), it was a night to remember. New Mexico, snow and all, might still turn a surprise, as may Oregon.

My vote? Again, I won't go into specifics (though many of you know) - I look at voting this way: the ballots we cast our votes on are not pure white paper. They are stained with the blood of those who gave their lives in defense of our country and what our country stands for, to allow us to have the freedom to vote. However any of you voted, doesn't really matter as much as the fact that YOU DID VOTE, and validated their sacrifice in defense of the Constitution and the people.

Now, since I didn't get ANY sleep last night as a result of work and trying to watch election results....good night.

[This message has been edited by LXAAlum (edited November 09, 2000).]
Old 11-09-2000, 04:03 AM
GreekChat Member

My favorite quote from Dan Rather:

"And Bush has...uhm, I can't see how many votes has...so we'll just move on"

Apparently, he couldn't read the graphic, so he just skipped over it.

I swear, the man sounded drunk last night