GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,335
0 members and 1,335 guests
No Members online

Old 08-31-2017, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

So happy for your daughter and you. Congratulations!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-31-2017, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
That house is breathtaking! I googled John Julian Wilkins, the second owner of the house, and found some interesting information about the house and his family.

Google Books link about the house. A couple other Greek houses are featured in this preview as well.

Looks like the man's grandson and his wife were members of Chi Phi and president of the Interfraternity Council and Kappa Kappa Gamma president, respectively. I'm sure they'd have been thrilled to know the house will host a sorority.
Mr. Wilkins has an impressive history with campus and Greek life at UGA. He was tapped for all the major honor societies on campus, Gridiron Secret Society, Sphinx (highest honor bestowed upon a UGA student), Founder of the Greek Horsemen (highest honor for fraternity men on campus), IFC, SGA, ODK, Phi Kappa. He was truly a BMOC during his era and went on to be just as successful in business and service in the Athens community.

I know several fraternities have been looking at this house on Milledge for years hoping to acquire it (including my own chapter a few years ago), but I had always heard that the owners wouldn't sell to a fraternity. So glad a sorority was able to obtain the property and looking forward to the complete restoration in the near future.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Congratulations to your daughter on her bid to a great organization!
Old 08-31-2017, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Weaver D, congratulations to your daughter on her Alpha Phi bid. Hope you'll stick around and update us from time to time on her experiences in a colony.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-31-2017, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Weaver D, congratulations to your daughter on her Alpha Phi bid. Hope you'll stick around and update us from time to time on her experiences in a colony.
Thank you AZTheta. I will be happy to update the group and plan on sticking around. I wish I had known about this forum earlier. I hope to maybe even contribute to the group every now and then.

Last edited by Weaver D; 08-31-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Oh my gosh! How wonderful!!!! I am so happy for your daughter Weaver D.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:42 AM
GreekChat Member

CONGRATS to her and to you for your support!

In spite of sites and news stories that show Greeks in a negative light and constantly sniping, now and then we all hold hands in our common bonds of being Greek. I'm saying this because of ALL these different organization members (me included) cheering you on and congratulating your daughter.

In this world of negative news, this site shows that good will still exists and can win out!
Old 09-01-2017, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm noticing the house is on the national registry. I wonder if they'll have trouble doing updates.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I'm noticing the house is on the national registry. I wonder if they'll have trouble doing updates.
Plans for an addition to the house were approved this summer - and from what I can tell from instagram - were on display when they were doing interviews for the new chapter.

Last edited by DoctorD; 09-01-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
The architectural renovations were approved by the city historic commission this summer as well as the zoning approval from the city. Architecture firm is local and worked on several historically related projects in town. I've seen the plans and going to be a pretty awesome house. 18K sq ft and house 54 + house director
Old 09-02-2017, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Unloose the confetti!

Congratulations to your DD!!
As a house director, please, for the love of all that is holy, no confetti. Or glitter.

Weaver D: Congratulations to your daughter! This has been a fun feed to follow.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKate1244 View Post
As a house director, please, for the love of all that is holy, no confetti. Or glitter.
LOL!

There is one chapter at my school that sprinkled the floor of their rush room with glitter during open house. (Yes, it was rush back then. Only one chapter had a house at the time, so almost all parties were held in the student center.) Naturally, the glitter would stick to the PNMs' shoes, and they'd track it out of the room. The chapter always cleaned up afterwards.

BUT ... Every year, one other chapter (their main competition during rush) accused them of a rush violation, specifically, giving gifts to the PNMs. Chapters couldn't allow PNMs to take anything out of the room, not even a napkin, as it could be considered a gift. So this other chapter claimed that the glitter chapter was giving the glitter to the PNMs as gifts!

When I was a PNM, I tracked glitter out of the room myself, and trust me, it wasn't a gift - it was the last thing I wanted!

So, every single year, Panhel had to hear the case, and every year, the charges were dismissed. I was my chapter's Panhel rep one year, so I was present for one of these hearings. What a waste of time.

</threadjack>
Old 09-03-2017, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
LOL!

There is one chapter at my school that sprinkled the floor of their rush room with glitter during open house. (Yes, it was rush back then. Only one chapter had a house at the time, so almost all parties were held in the student center.) Naturally, the glitter would stick to the PNMs' shoes, and they'd track it out of the room. The chapter always cleaned up afterwards.

BUT ... Every year, one other chapter (their main competition during rush) accused them of a rush violation, specifically, giving gifts to the PNMs. Chapters couldn't allow PNMs to take anything out of the room, not even a napkin, as it could be considered a gift. So this other chapter claimed that the glitter chapter was giving the glitter to the PNMs as gifts!

When I was a PNM, I tracked glitter out of the room myself, and trust me, it wasn't a gift - it was the last thing I wanted!

So, every single year, Panhel had to hear the case, and every year, the charges were dismissed. I was my chapter's Panhel rep one year, so I was present for one of these hearings. What a waste of time.

</threadjack>

And I chuckled at the statement in bold

@~/~~~~
Old 09-03-2017, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Well why didn't Panhellenic rule that no chapter could sprinkle glitter on the floor?