GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,496
0 members and 2,496 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Santa Clara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearly View Post
Is Santa Clara University open for expansion?
I have just learned that they voted to open for expansion. I'm a bit surprised, but evidently the national ladies wanted this. Seems like this Panhellenic is not run locally anymore. It's whatever the national ladies want. Bad decision, IMO.

Last edited by gogoaphi; 05-31-2015 at 11:17 AM. Reason: gave wrong answer
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-14-2015, 09:35 PM

The University of South Carolina-Beaufort is opening for expansion.

Congratulations to Pi Kappa Phi for their recent chartering at the University of Montana.

http://www.kbzk.com/story/29067564/u...new-fraternity

Delta Sigma Phi has been "de-recognized" by California Polytechnic University-San Luis Obispo. This is due to allegations against members of the fraternity that came to light after members of the university football team robbed in-house members for drugs and cash last August. Delta Sigma Phi is planning to appeal.

http://calcoastnews.com/2015/05/cal-...ed-in-robbery/

Sigma Chi has officially closed the chapter at the University of Houston(TX). Closure is due to RMF and hazing.

http://sigmachi.org/press-release/in...ity-of-houston

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)

Last edited by LaneSig; 05-15-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Delta Phi Epsilon has been selected to colonize at Carleton University in Canada! WTG ladies Tearing it up!!
Old 05-21-2015, 02:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Another University of Arizona fraternity bites the dust. This time it's Theta Chi. Hazing. http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/2...uct-violations.

At this rate, there won't be any fraternities left by 2020.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 05-27-2015, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Penn State has withdrawn recognition of Kappa Delta Rho for three years.

Reportedly, university officials have said, “instances of physical and emotionally abusive hazing were uncovered during the investigation, including boxing matches set up between pledges, in addition to drug use and sales within the fraternity.”

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0OC09K20150527

KDR’s national leadership has stated its agreement with the university’s decision, and has expressed an intent/desire to return to Penn State after the three-year period is completed.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/g...at-penn-state/

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/27/us...t-inquiry.html

Last edited by exlurker; 05-27-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Gogoaphi why do you think it is a bad idea? By "national" do you mean the local NPC Alumnae group or the actual NPC governing body? I heard a SCU collegiate sorority member mention specific groups that were being considered but I don't have any details nor have I found anything online to confirm this…
Old 06-12-2015, 10:50 AM

Sorry for the late notice:

Congratulations to Phi Sigma Kappa for chartering their colony at Young Harris College(GA).

The chartering took place in late April.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 08-24-2015, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Mu is presenting at USC-Beaufort. The information is from Twitter.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool sorry for slooow response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearly View Post
Gogoaphi why do you think it is a bad idea? By "national" do you mean the local NPC Alumnae group or the actual NPC governing body? I heard a SCU collegiate sorority member mention specific groups that were being considered but I don't have any details nor have I found anything online to confirm this…

Hi. Sorry that I haven't responded to your question in so long. I kind of checked out for a while and haven't checked this site until now.

I heard that a vote was taken last academic year to open for expansion this academic year (2015-16). I'm not sure, but I think ADPi was just added a couple years ago. The system has grown a lot. I don't think it is time to expand. I would prefer to give it a couple more years.

The housing situation is kind of sketchy and a new group might find that challenging. There has been this weird housing ordinance being batted around the Santa Clara city council which might make it hard for a new group to find suitable housing for their chapter. The city of Santa Clara is not friendly to local business. There are a lot of houses that are owned by a core group of landlords. They make a lot of money renting to greek groups. They get top dollar and demand a lot from the groups. The ordinance proposed to basically not allow more than a certain number of students to live in a house. It's a problem and the landlords have been fighting it. To be honest, I'm not sure where things stand with it. I suspect that there will be some grandfathering of current tenants, but new sororities / fraternities might find themselves locked out.

I always get the impression that the decision to open for expansion was really discussed by the national NPC people and the local delegates were told to fall in line. I kind of resent this kind of heavy-handed decision making in a situation that should consider how the local people feel about it. It might be that the chapter sizes are such that chapters can't handle it meeting space wise and they think that adding a group will make the size of the chapters smaller and easier to manage. I also know that event planning (like for formals) has become challenging as many of the larger venues that can handle 300+ people aren't excited about renting space to a sorority / fraternity. So, there are some logistical issues. But, we seem to work through those things. It's actually a good problem rather than the opposite where you can't afford to do anything because your chapter is too small.

Having said all that, I think that every time we add a chapter, the chapters just seem to get larger rather than smaller. Chapter total seems to just keep going up, up, up. It's not going the other way. There is a lot of latent interest in greek life on this campus and adding a chapter will for sure pull more women into the system. You have to wonder at what point doe we awaken the slumbering giant of the campus administration who clearly intended to see greeks die off rather than flourish.

Santa Clara women are really wonderful and perfect for sorority life. There are just a lot of challenges that will make it difficult for the next group in the door.

My opinion. For what it is worth.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
The University of South Carolina-Beaufort is open for expansion.
According to Instagram and the interwebs, Alpha Gamma Delta is presenting there today!
Old 08-25-2015, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartUGA View Post
According to Instagram and the interwebs, Alpha Gamma Delta is presenting there today!
Phi Mu and Alpha Omicron Pi are also presenting.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

^Which was posted in the 2015/2016 colonies and expansions thread
Old 08-25-2015, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
^Which was posted in the 2015/2016 colonies and expansions thread
. . . and being discussed here. To the best of my knowledge, it is still 2015.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:12 PM

It's 2015 but we're already in the 2015/2016 school year. I always thought the threads went by school year instead of calendar year.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Based on Twitter:
Southern Illinois has formed an extension committee @SIUGreeks @PanhellenicSIUC