GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma

Old 05-03-2003, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Question National or International?

I was just wondering how many of the NPC sororities (or IFC fraternities) are international? i notice alot of people on GC call them nationals. if your GLO is international, where and when did it become so?
Gamma Phi Beta became an international sorority in 1919 at the University of Toronto, Canada.
Old 05-03-2003, 01:53 PM
Unregistered-

Alpha Gamma Delta Fraternity became international in 1917 also at the University of Toronto when the Tau Chapter was established.
Old 05-03-2003, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
TKE is international. CanadianTeke likes to point that out alot too. lol
Old 05-03-2003, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

KD's only national.

Once we get all the answers to this, it would be nice to have one complied list.
Old 05-03-2003, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Tri Delta became international at the University of Toronto in 1930.
Old 05-03-2003, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

International

Alpha Phi's Xi Chapter at the University of Toronto was installed in 1906, thus making Alpha Phi and Interenational women's fraternity.
Old 05-03-2003, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

DG's first international chapter was also at the University of Toronto, so we are also international!
Old 05-03-2003, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
Phi Mu has initiated members living all over the world, but as far as i know we only have chapters in the United States. There might be a alumnae chapter in another country somewhere that I don't know about though.
Old 05-03-2003, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Sig is international....but we're still in the habit of saying natinal (trying to change, but old habits die hard)

We went International in 1930 at teh University of Manitoba - chapter now inactive.

For a fairly complete list of international(us/can) orgs visit http://www.canadiangreeks.com . They have lists of current GLOs in Canada as well as GLOs that used to be present.
Old 05-03-2003, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

We used to have alot more sororities at U of T, i think there were 12-15 but alot of them closed when the university bought out the land that the sorority (and frat) houses were built on to build a new (2nd largest in Canada) library. They closed back in the 50's i think. we also used to be recognized by the university back then, but due to one of the sororities not allowing an african american woman to join, they disaffiliated with us.
i know that we definitely had Delta Gamma, Alpha Phi now lives in their old house though. i think we also had Kappa Alpha Theta, but i'm not sure.
Old 05-03-2003, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
Theta Delta Chi went international in 1901, the installment of Zeta Deuteron Charge at McGill University in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
Old 05-03-2003, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Delta Phi Epsilon has been an international sorority since we established the Epsilon chapter at McGill in 1922.
Old 05-03-2003, 05:16 PM
wreckingcrew

Sigma Nu is international.

Our Zeta Delta chapter was founded at the University of Toronto in 1949.

It might have been before then, i'm unfamiliar with the names of some of the schools on our list. I'm sure ktsnake knows for sure.

Kitso
KS 361
Old 05-03-2003, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: My random musing on this thread!

Quote:
Originally posted by decadence
I've noticed a lot of people call them nationals here, even when they may have chapters in Canada - force of habit I guess. Most of what are called internationals seem to be bi-nationals (I don't think that's actually a real word ) in that they're only in the US and Canada. Hopefully they will spread out more in time, so everyone can enjoy what rich benefits fraternity and sorority life has to offer.

...Decadence.
Yeah that's so true...sometimes i feel like i'm a radical when i tell my sisters to say international, but that's ok...

as for spreading to other coutries; that would be interesting...I was just on MSN with a French friend - i told her i was going to a sorority conference, sorority? what's that?...ummm there's no word in french for it, it's like a woman's org at university...

Similar situation couple years ago talking with my brother and his japanese girlfriend...tried explaining it to her...they typed it into their English-japanese translator thingy and the result was "women's club"....just not the same meaning...

So, there's definitely a culture gap that would have to be jumped before expansion
Old 05-03-2003, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AAgammagirl
We used to have alot more sororities at U of T, i think there were 12-15 but alot of them closed when the university bought out the land that the sorority (and frat) houses were built on to build a new (2nd largest in Canada) library. They closed back in the 50's i think. we also used to be recognized by the university back then, but due to one of the sororities not allowing an african american woman to join, they disaffiliated with us.
i know that we definitely had Delta Gamma, Alpha Phi now lives in their old house though. i think we also had Kappa Alpha Theta, but i'm not sure.
Yes, ma'am! There was Theta and plenty others, like DG and ADPi.
Go here: www.canadiangreeks.com for all the goodies!