GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,489
0 members and 1,489 guests
No Members online

Old 12-17-2003, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Post (Article) Af-Am Sororities @ Princeton

http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/arc...ews/9034.shtml

Black sororities divide University administration wary of Greek life

Sam J. Cooper
Princetonian Senior Writer

Photo by Jonathan Williams
(Expand Photo)
Rachael Bernard '04 shows off her Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority jacket. She is a member of one of three historically black Greek letter organizations active in Princeton and nationwide.

Aside from the Greek letters in their names, Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta and Zeta Phi Beta have little in common with other fraternities and sororities. Entry rituals don't feature alcohol or hazing. Members must have a Grade Point Average above 2.5 as well as a commitment to community service and two strong letters of recommendation. And most significantly, all members are black.

There are several such Greek organizations that claim a special place in campus life at the University. Members say they are a sanctuary for black students who feel uncomfortable in eating clubs and joining other fraternities or sororities.

"It's tough for any minority to exist here," Delta Sigma Theta Sorority member Theri Pickens '05 said of Princeton. "It's vitally important that we all have a way to get through the University. It's tough socially and a lot of people realize they need guidance."

But the role these groups play on campus creates a tricky situation for Princeton. As the University explores ways to curb the influence of Greeks on freshmen through a new committee on "the freshman experience," administrators remain torn over how to support the mission of historically black sororities on campus.

Some say they appreciate much of what the black Greeks do on campus, such as attracting minority students and delaying rush events until after students have settled into classes, but simultaneously want to avoid violating the University's longtime policy against sanctioning fraternities.

Pickens feels it is her obligation to tell the campus about her organization's community service projects, missions and values.

"I'm taken aback when some of their members question whether my sorority exists," she said referring to Kappa Kappa Gamma, Kappa Alpha Theta, Delta Delta Delta and Pi Beta Phi. "I get all kinds of questions outside the black community."

She speaks openly, instead of assuming the often secretive behavior typical to Greeks, about the significance of why her bed in Scully Hall is draped in quilts and linens of red and white — her official sorority colors.

The mentoring that Pickens says she benefits from is one of the central roles played by these historically black sororities on Princeton's campus.

"I joined a sorority because I had a general interest and the social benefits it would allow me," Rachael Bernard '04 wrote in an email.

Bernard is "a proud member" of the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority, which was first founded in 1908 by nine women at Howard University to become the nation's oldest Black Greek Letter organization. The Princeton chapter was founded in 1985 and shares members with Westminster Choir College.

"Princeton can be hard to navigate socially, and for me, my sorority made my time here at Princeton really enjoyable," Bernard said.

Bernard said she was drawn to her particular group because it offered a social experience based outside of Princeton's social bubble. Instead of focusing on partying, the group primarily offered community service opportunities and chances to interact with other black students at Princeton and other schools.

"The draw for my sorority was that it was outside of the typical Princeton experience," Bernard said. "It was not a part of the social scene here."

The conflict of the administration lies in how to support the black sororities without supporting all selective groups.

"While I do recognize the importance and value of Greek organizations to those students who are affiliated, whether they are in historically black or white groups, I think the issue for Princeton is that we do not want to recognize or encourage groups that are exclusive,'' said University Vice President Janet Dickerson. "It is difficult for us to enforce our policies selectively."

President Tilghman, when asked about the future of fraternities and sororities on campus, reminisced about her own college experience. At Queen's University in Canada, she said, it was a "really nice place" without them.

'Unchosen contacts'

"Fraternities and sororities are so active so early in the academic year that they counter that educational intent of the residential colleges," Tilghman said. She criticized the early timing of rush activities for many fraternities and sororities on campus for counteracting the random pairing of students in the hopes they will find accidental acquaintances and "unchosen contacts" — borrowing a phrase from Woodrow Wilson.

"There's a real tension here that I have been trying to understand between comfort that comes with associating with people with whom there is a lot of social understanding and education of reaching out to people. That tension is much greater for minority students," she said.

Tilghman praised the "sister-to-sister" mentoring program orchestrated by the historically black sororities. And appreciating the presence of minority-focused sororities on campus despite the fact that Greeks are not officially recognized by the University, she encouraged them to linkup with organizations such as the Black Student Union or the Carl A. Fields Center to promote their activities.

In September, Tilghman appointed Dean Kathleen Deignan head of a new committee to examine "the freshman experience." The committee, which also includes Dickerson, will consider the opinions of students, faculty and administrators. The role of the Greek system in freshman year will be one of the main issues discussed.

Tilghman said she hopes there will be changes to come as the committee learns more about Greek life and examines how and why freshmen flock to these groups.

Postponing rush, Tilghman said, until the second semester of freshmen year or even sophomore year — as many schools do — would be "a modest step in the right direction."

"If [freshmen] are left to their own devices for a semester, they will make a much more informed decision," she said, speaking to the vulnerability of first semester freshmen and the current tendency to make an immediate social commitment.

Tilghman said first semester freshman year is "the wrong time" for rush.

Historically black sororities on campus only let sophomores rush.

Change will also come with the opening of Whitman College, Tilghman said. "Whitman College is going to fulfill a request that fraternities and sororities provide — getting to live with and spend time with upperclassmen," she said. "These things don't change overnight."

Robert Hollander, a former Master of Butler College, said that during his tenure in the 1990s, administrators occasionally discussed how black fraternities' presence on campus in essence shielded traditional fraternities from some University crackdowns.

The reasoning: If the University were to abolish fraternities, the black fraternities would go down with the others, an undesirable situation for an institution trying to attract minority students.

Whether or not that's entirely true, Hollander said, many administrators admired what black Greeks were doing on campus, and were less than enthusiastic about the rowdiness of their white counterparts.

"When I was master, some people, whether well informed or not, said to me that the administration . . . did not want to make frats 'illegal' partly because it felt the minority organizations were of a different order and character from the non-minority ones,'' Hollander wrote in an email.

'A very deep sisterhood'

Despite the support of some administrators, the historically black Greeks have struggled in recent years to keep membership high.

Historically black fraternities and sororities first appeared on campus during the 1970s and 1980s. Many students choose to join these specific groups and continue membership beyond graduation because "it summons a certain amount of respect within the black community," Pickens said of what she described as a "very deep sisterhood."

"A lot of the benefits of joining remain outside of Princeton," she said.

While the number of members increased until the late 1990s, during the last five years Princeton membership has declined, members said. Today, membership for all of the black Greeks stands around 20, though members say they expect a planned membership drive to boost numbers.

Chanel Lattimer '05, for example, was manning a table for Zeta Phi Beta in Frist Campus Center last month, and simultaneously selling raffle tickets for the March of Dimes and talking to potential members.

These groups also share events and members with several neighboring colleges.

It's a close-knit group between the schools, with meetings held every few months at The College of New Jersey in Trenton, mostly to discuss protocol.

Lattimer said she would like to see her sorority increase ties with traditionally white sororities on campus, with activities that emphasize the community service and networking aspects of Greek life that are sometimes overlooked.

"I know that some of the white sororities and frats they do some kinds of community service things and breast cancer awareness,'' Lattimer said. "If we show them that we're more than just about parties, then the administration would have to listen and we might be able to get ourselves recognized.''
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-17-2003, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Post I also saw the article

And it was a good read. For some reason, it triggered a thought about, of all places, Xavier University in Cincinnati -- I don't think they recognize NPC/NIC orgs., but I do think they recognize NPHC orgs.

I also wonder whether Princeton could be sued because they don't sanction other GLOs, but seem to be in a gray area with NPHC groups.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

here's the thing: yes we are historically african-american but not exclusively so there really is no need for the administration to be in such a quandry

I Stay Woke!!
Old 12-18-2003, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I personally wasn't a big fan of this article because they made WGLOs sound like crap. I must have missed all the alcohol and hazing while I was at track practice or something.

I have an Af-Am friend who goes to Princeton and she says Greek Life isn't a big deal there - their eating clubs are a MUCH bigger deal.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

based on the name, i have some idea but what exactly is an eating club?

I Stay Woke!!
Old 12-18-2003, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

for Xavier/Cincinnati, they do recognize NPHC Greeks but it took them awhile to allow BGLOs on the yard.
as far as a university/college being sued, if it's a private institution, can they be sued successfully?
Old 12-18-2003, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Quote:
Originally posted by WenD08
for Xavier/Cincinnati, they do recognize NPHC Greeks but it took them awhile to allow BGLOs on the yard.
as far as a university/college being sued, if it's a private institution, can they be sued successfully?
I'm glad that you spotted this. I was hoping that you'd come here and give some clarity on the Xavier thing. And it's a good question about whether a private university could be sued successfully...lawyers, anyone?
Old 12-18-2003, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MeezDiscreet
My understanding of it is basically a dining club for junior/senior students, who don't eat on campus. However, they have "initiations" which are basically drunken hazing rituals, and also throw huge parties - like Better than Ezra has played at my friend's club before. Some of the clubs are selective and you bicker (rush) to get into them, and then get tapped (get a bid) to join. My friend bickered a club and didn't get tapped, so she then joined a non-exclusive club where basically you sign up and are in.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Eating clubs are also discussed in Our Kind of People by Lawrence Otis Graham.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steeltrap
I'm glad that you spotted this. I was hoping that you'd come here and give some clarity on the Xavier thing. And it's a good question about whether a private university could be sued successfully...lawyers, anyone?
Sure. As long as the plaintiff could show (not saying they could, but if) that BGLO's, despite no actual ban on non Af-Am members, were nearly or completely exclusively Black and were being granted a status not offered to their White counterparts on the basis of race, that is a sustainable lawsuit, IMO. Because the most obvious difference is race and if they are drawing the line around all the orgs in a certain group and not looking case by case, some one might choose to challenge them. I think that applies more to Xavier if they recognize BGLO's and will not recognize NIC/NPC orgs than Princton.

As for Princeton, my understanding is they do not recognize any GLO's and are debating how far that should extend based on the impact of minority students if they were to not only not recognize them but ban them from campus. Many city wide chapters (in my experience) are not recognized by the university but are acknowleged to the extent that they may have activities on campus.

Last edited by Kimmie1913; 12-18-2003 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Soror:

For more on this ever important club (yeah right) read:

http://etc.princeton.edu/CampusWWW/C...ing_clubs.html
Old 12-19-2003, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Soror, you hit it on the head. A city-wide chapter, as opposed to a campus-based chapter does not necessarily require recognition by the university to initiate students from a particular university. It does impact them in hosting events on campus, but there are other ways of reaching potential membership.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kimmie1913

As for Princeton, my understanding is they do not recognize any GLO's and are debating how far that should extend based on the impact of minority students if they were to not only not recognize them but ban them from campus. Many city wide chapters (in my experience) are not recognized by the university but are acknowleged to the extent that they may have activities on campus.
In general, I don't see what the big debate is all about. Either recognize all Greeks or don't. The orgs will survive and the people who seek them out will find them!

I also take issue with the title of the article which implies that the sororities themselves are actively causing division. From reading the article, it appears that the school admin is unsure about what to do about the entire situation.
Old 12-20-2003, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

From the original article I inferred that the university's problem with WGLO is the fact that they "rush" new members as first semester freshmen which interferes with adjusting to college life - whereas for most NPHC org's you can't "pledge" until you are a sophmore and have already made the adjustment. (I put the terms in quotes because they are used differently between groups).

Does anyone know would it be illegal for the school to state that you can't participate in greek activities until you are a sophmore across the board? Wouldn't that solve the problem?
Old 12-20-2003, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stardusttwin
From the original article I inferred that the university's problem with WGLO is the fact that they "rush" new members as first semester freshmen which interferes with adjusting to college life - whereas for most NPHC org's you can't "pledge" until you are a sophmore and have already made the adjustment. (I put the terms in quotes because they are used differently between groups).

Does anyone know would it be illegal for the school to state that you can't participate in greek activities until you are a sophmore across the board? Wouldn't that solve the problem?
It sure would solve the problem, but my guess is that's not their only problem. A lot of schools have deferred rush where you can't rush until you're a second semester freshman, sophomore, etc.
Old 12-26-2003, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Combination fraternity/dining hall/dorm. They are social clubs that have dining facilities and lodging facilities. Here is a link to some of the eating clubs. Some have picture links. http://www.princeton.edu/Siteware/EatingClubs.shtml