GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,948
0 members and 1,948 guests
No Members online

Old 07-01-2003, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

When I first moved up here to NC, Vera was everywhere-in TX I had never even heard of her. I thought the patterns were ugly as sin. I totally didn't understand it at all-I was like, give me my Kate Spade any day. But I have to admit...I got sucked in. My pattern is the now-discontinued Provincial Red. I've got the Teeny Paddy, and am buying the hanging organizer, travel cosmetic bag, and the Hampton-and she's coming out with new ones in July!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-01-2003, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

A little preppy even for my taste...they are cute though.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GMUBunny Send a message via Yahoo to GMUBunny
Ewww.... I wouldn't be caught dead carrying one of those bags. The patterns bare a striking resemblance to the fabric used on the Bible covers with straps that everyone in my family makes. It's definitely country, hick country. I do see where the diaper bag thing comes from. Blah... definitely not for me. I prefer to not look like I just came out of an episode of the Beverly Hillbillies

Proud mommy of Tiernan Vincent 8-8-05 and Gwendolyn Iona 12-13-07!
Old 07-01-2003, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to White_Chocolate
i think that there's far too many designer purses to settle for a quilt that i could probably make myself.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:26 PM

sure sign of trendage

I saw some Vera knockoffs today in Kaufmann's that put the FUG in FUGGGGLEEEE! The prints were terrible.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee
I think I'll pass on the bags. Some of the accessories look nice though.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not a fan, either. I think they look like diaper bags, or at least like something a middle-aged suburban matron should be carrying- not a college girl. I just don't think they're that cute on younger people.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by twinstars
I think they look like diaper bags, or at least like something a middle-aged suburban matron should be carrying- not a college girl. I just don't think they're that cute on younger people.
You took the words right out of my mouth! They're just too fuddy-duddy for my taste; as long as I don't look stupid trying to look cute, I'm not about accessorizing like I'm leading the soccer caravan. My friends from home are all about stuff like this, but then again, they were buying out Chico's at 18. So, to each her own...
Old 07-01-2003, 08:23 PM

Munchkin, what's a Chico???
Old 07-01-2003, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
Chico's is a store, there's one on Walnut street actually.

Also a funny thing about the diaper bag resemblance- one of the national officers, who isn't necessarily super-trendy, bought a Vera Bradley. Her friends asked her if she had made it, because she apparantly made diaper bags that looked just like it when her children were babies.

I just thought that was hilarious
Old 07-01-2003, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
It's a store that sells "elegant resort wear," it always seemed to me to be aimed at women in their late 40s/early 50s who traveled for leisure rather often and on a whim. Their stores tend to be located in well-heeled resort areas and suburbs, and occasionally a large city. Nice clothes, to be sure, but I have some years until I'm ready to wear them.

Last edited by Munchkin03; 07-01-2003 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Munchkin03
It's a store that sells "elegant resort wear," it always seemed to me to be aimed at women in their late 40s/early 50s who traveled for leisure rather quickly. Their stores tend to be located in well-heeled resort areas and suburbs, and occasionally a large city. Nice clothes, to be sure, but I have some years until I'm ready to wear them.
That's a pretty apt description - my upper-middle-finance-executive aunt loves Chico's - and jetting off to Bermuda on a whim.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:43 AM
GreekChat Member

I love Veras! It seemed like everyone in my chapter had one, though for a while we all claimed a pattern and got a little upset when others started catching on to the craze. Initially it was just a sorority member thing, then everyone at UF had one. I got my mom and sister into it, now I think I have one in just about every new pattern that comes out. Though red bandana is my original fav. Anyway, somehow you can match the bags to whatever clothing you're wearing, since some of the bags are "dressier" than others. Clearly you wouldn't take the paddy bag along to a business meeting, though the new cosmopolitan, I believe it's called, would be appropriate since it resembles a briefcase. So there you go, that's how us southern girls do it, bless your heart...

Tara
I have a Phi Mu castle...
Old 07-02-2003, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MoonStar17
Any Phi Mu's out there remember an Aglaia that came out about a year ago (maybe less cant rememeber) that had Vera similar luggage on the back with monogramed letters??
there was a garment bag and a small carry on bag i think a cosmetic bag too...i remember seeing all the patterns, they were red and thinking they were not pink and how if they were i might have gotten it..LOL

does anyone know if this was Vera or Vera similar??

its funny i had been on a trip with my boyfriend and i needed a tote bag to throw some things in to go to the beach, pair of sandals etc..and i went to marshalls since it was near by..they had this little bag that looked very much like the blue vera handbag (the lil square one) when i came out of the store he was like.."whats with the diaper bag?!" lol...

i thought it was cute and it had been on clearance for 4.00 dollars...so for the beach it was just right..my sandals fit right inside.. im sure its not an original vera but everyone who sees it says they are ugly

i only use it for lil outings where i need a slightly larger purse.
i didnt know they were becoming a big craze.... miami doesnt seem to pick up on these "southern girl" trends

oh well
Old 07-08-2003, 02:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Well I gave in to the Vera Bradley craze and I ended up buying the Petal Power Tote and Petal Power Tie Backpack both in Pink. Anyone who knows me knows how much I love pink and I figure I can use the tote for books in the fall. I also bought both because I am taking a trip to DC in August and I thought they would be good for when I'm out and about!

I've seen the petal power patterns in purple and turquoise from working in retail (customers always have new and exciting purses!) so hopefully the pink is as cute!

Jess