GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,637
1 members and 1,636 guests
No Members online

Old 10-24-2012, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Yet another question about AI

I apologize in advance if everyone is sick of AI questions, but this seems to be the best place to ask.

I am turning 40 this year, and I am looking to add additional community service to my life. I am not only looking to serve young people, I am looking to serve a quality organization through volunteering. I enjoy working with college students, I like the idea of sisterhood, and I like philanthropy.

I'm Ivy League educated, professional, high GPA and involved in my community. I am also involved in my professional organizations.

I have no reason as to why I didn't rush in college, if anyone is going to ask.

I would like to serve a Greek organization, however I don't know anyone who is an alumna. I know that I need to be nominated for AI, but does anyone know if there is a "mentorship" program for people like me? Are any alums looking to mentor an initiate, or is that something alums tend to shy away from?

I know that this is an Internet forum, and I can tell you that I'm not an axe murderer until the cows come home, but I honestly am looking for a new community/philanthropic experience. I'm not looking to go to formals or parties.

I would appreciate honest, respectful dialogue. Thanks!!
Old 10-24-2012, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I would look into community based sororities, such as Beta Sigma Phi. As far as NPC sororities go, you don't really "seek membership" as an AI, as it is a very special honor that few are given. While some groups may state on their websites that they are open to alumnae initiates, it is usually required that you either be a legacy or have some other existing special relationship with the group.

Last edited by glittergal1985; 10-24-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

: )

Thank you for your reply. I did not know that there were "non-academic" sororities out there.

I appreciate your time and your help!
Old 10-24-2012, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

That being said, thank you for wanting to mentor collegiate greek women. If you have a particular skill or talent, you might consider contacting the campus Panhellenic near you to tell them you would be glad to put on a workshop for a chapter. The sororities hold regular enrichment workshops and are always looking for speakers to talk about things like interviewing, dressing for the workplace, dining etiquette, networking tips, career day type activities, health and nutrition, grad school admission tips, etc.

In my experience with AI's, in addition to initiating legacies or someone with a tie to a chapter, we have also AI'd women who live near our more rural chapters where we lack alumnae who are able to mentor and advise chapters.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by glittergal1985 View Post
I would look into community based sororities, such as Beta Sigma Phi. As far as NPC sororities go, you don't really "seek membership" as an AI, as it is a very special honor that few are given. While some groups may state on their websites that they are open to alumnae initiates, it is usually required that you either be a legacy or have some other existing special relationship with the group.
This is not true for all groups, at all. We definitely discourage women "shopping around" for AI, and/or trying to become an AI because she didn't get the collegiate experience, but if an outstanding woman were to approach an NPC group, there are at least a few that would be open to the idea.

I think that GC has had so many crazy PNAI's come through, that we have totally soured on the idea, but if membership is truly a lifelong experience, it makes sense that we allow great women to join post-college when they really bring something to our organization.

adpiucf's advice is good: if you have something special to contribute, do that. If you form a relationship with a chapter, perhaps in time, AI would become a logical next step.

Last edited by DeltaBetaBaby; 10-24-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
That being said, thank you for wanting to mentor collegiate greek women. If you have a particular skill or talent, you might consider contacting the campus Panhellenic near you to tell them you would be glad to put on a workshop for a chapter. The sororities hold regular enrichment workshops and are always looking for speakers to talk about things like interviewing, dressing for the workplace, dining etiquette, networking tips, career day type activities, health and nutrition, grad school admission tips, etc.
This is a WAY better way to mentor/help collegiate Greek women and will earn you far more respect than trying to AI "to add additional community service to [your] life" ever would.

Also, if you are in a capacity where you need to hire people and/or find groups of volunteers, reach out to your local campus's Greek community. Many sororities and fraternities now have community service requirements from either the school or their national organization. You can help each other.

If in doing either of these things, you would develop a long-lasting tie with a particular group and are OFFERED AI, that's another story. But "campaigning" or "searching" for it is considered by many to be, well, crass.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't mean to crass, just the opposite, actually. I know zero about the Greek community and came here for insight. I appreciate the help.

I reached out today to my alma mater to get some volunteers for a group that I work with. We had some girls from a local sorority there before, and I wasn't able to get to know them because I work in a different capacity. They did wonderful work, though, and I admired their strong bonds.

Kudos to all of you who found your sisterhood in college. It must have been a lovely experience!!!
Old 10-24-2012, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

It is, and continues to be. If you want it, feel free to at least try. Research the various sororities, and see if you can figure out which ones have alumna chapters in your area. There's no point (well, little point) in seeking AI in a sorority that has minimal presence where you are. Most/all of the NPC sororities have a spot on their website that shows all the collegiate and alumna chapters.

If you read through the AI threads, keep in mind as DeltaBetaBaby said, there are some crazy women who really don't get what alumna membership in a sorority is all about. You don't get to re-live running to your chapter or fraternity parties. And we've had one or two women on here who were obsessed, really sick women, who were interested in AI because of their obsession with a particular collegiate chapter. So as you read through, be aware of why some posters go bonkers over any AI question. But it can be a fulfilling opportunity. It is a rare opportunity but not unheard of. Let us know how it goes if you do decide to pursue AI.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I just wanted to update.

I've been speaking to a wonderful group of women who are open to the idea of initiating an alumna. I can't say anything else, but just know that I am enjoying the "getting to know you" experience and look forward to going to an event.

Thanks to all who posted supportive notes for me. It is appreciated.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus73 View Post
I just wanted to update.

I've been speaking to a wonderful group of women who are open to the idea of initiating an alumna. I can't say anything else, but just know that I am enjoying the "getting to know you" experience and look forward to going to an event.

Thanks to all who posted supportive notes for me. It is appreciated.
Oh, GOOD LUCK!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Oh, GOOD LUCK!
::goofy grin::
Old 10-26-2012, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I didn't mean to crass, just the opposite, actually. I know zero about the Greek community and came here for insight. I appreciate the help.

I reached out today to my alma mater to get some volunteers for a group that I work with. We had some girls from a local sorority there before, and I wasn't able to get to know them because I work in a different capacity. They did wonderful work, though, and I admired their strong bonds.

Kudos to all of you who found your sisterhood in college. It must have been a lovely experience!!!
I understand the novelty and potential excitement the thought of becoming an alumna member of an NPC sorority, but there seems to be a common thread among "seekers"- the woman's great interest in expanding her own, or improving the current breadth of, the service performed within the alumnae chapter - both feeling a bit off the mark.

Every alumnae chapter/association of every NPC organization may operate differently, but in my local alumnae association of my NPC organization, perhaps 15% of our "usual" activities fall under "community service" or National philanthropy, compared to maybe 50% social (usually a meal is the major part of just about every event), and the rest "business"/ritual/Panhellenic/etc.

It sounds noble to seek membership with a strong personal commitment to service, but it's not necessarily what such groups are all about. There are so many great groups out there who DO focus on that sort of thing.

I just wanted to give you (collectively) a heads up. I do hope you find what you are looking for.

Last edited by ree-Xi; 10-26-2012 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Late night hospital, dark room, fat thumbs on iphone
Old 10-27-2012, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree with you, ree-Xi, to an extent. But I think it depends on what your definition of "community service" is. I don't do a lot of true community service with the Junior League, but I still consider my work there to be volunteer work. I'm currently serving on a committee that is focused solely on internal operations, but I find the same value in that work as when I've been ladling up food for a meals-on-wheels type of program.

With Gamma Phi, I do a lot of volunteer work, as opposed to purely social. So it is definitely possible, if that is what the alumna member wants to do. For the seven day period of last Monday through tomorrow, I have done or will do the following: attend a chapter meeting and speak to the members, attend alumnae exec meeting and give my officer's report, meet one on one with an advisee to go over an upcoming event, attend a social dinner, pick up a t-shirt I bought to support a chapter's philanthropy, attend an advisory board meeting, and send a bunch of emails to recruit alumnae volunteers for an upcoming chapter event. Admittedly, this is a *much* busier week than normal, because of the time of year and the positions I hold, but it's a good example of what an alumna initiate can do that is volunteer work rather than purely social. Even if it isn't traditional "community service."

OP, I wish you the best of luck!
Old 10-27-2012, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree 100%, pbear19. I am not a member of an alumnae chapter at this time, but I am very active as a volunteer for Alpha Sigma Alpha. I put in several hours a week of "service" to my volunteer team, my District, alumnae, and alumnae chapters.

I expect my alumna experience to evolve throughout my life, offering opportunities for social and service activities as part of an alumnae chapter and as an individual, but at this particular season of my life, I am not participating in any social activities and many service opportunities. Every alumna is going to have a different experience, and at least in Alpha Sigma Alpha, a woman has many options and can make an appropriate choice based on her needs, desires, commitments, and talents.

I also see what ree-Xi is saying though. You probably aren't go to join the sorority and immediately jump into a Special Olympics event. (Although I do know a terrific ASA who has made the Special Olympics that absolute passion of her life.)

Be a Volunteer!
Old 10-28-2012, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I apologize in advance if everyone is sick of AI questions, but this seems to be the best place to ask.

I am turning 40 this year, and I am looking to add additional community service to my life. I am not only looking to serve young people, I am looking to serve a quality organization through volunteering. I enjoy working with college students, I like the idea of sisterhood, and I like philanthropy.

I'm Ivy League educated, professional, high GPA and involved in my community. I am also involved in my professional organizations.

I have no reason as to why I didn't rush in college, if anyone is going to ask.

I would like to serve a Greek organization, however I don't know anyone who is an alumna. I know that I need to be nominated for AI, but does anyone know if there is a "mentorship" program for people like me? Are any alums looking to mentor an initiate, or is that something alums tend to shy away from?

I know that this is an Internet forum, and I can tell you that I'm not an axe murderer until the cows come home, but I honestly am looking for a new community/philanthropic experience. I'm not looking to go to formals or parties.

I would appreciate honest, respectful dialogue. Thanks!!

Another way to add volunteer service would be by joining your local Junior League. I have been a member of Junior League for 5 years now and I absolutely love it. Alot of the members are greek, but just as many aren't. The AJLI (Association of Junior Leagues International) has a great website with tons of information about what Junior League is about and locations of Junior Leagues around the world.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt