GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,630
2 members and 1,628 guests
flamboyanttree, gatordeltapgh

Old 02-27-2015, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Havana View Post
What's being torn down: BBHN, Evermann, Campus View?
BBHN, in stages we were told.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
???
I was kidding. IUSigKap is my go to on all things IU. Her sources have to date been irrefutable.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
I know that the housing being torn down is married student housing for students with or without children. There is a high percentage of international students living in the buildings, but it is not exclusively international. I saw children playing in the snow in that housing area, and they were not international.
Where will the university be putting the married student housing? Or is less of it needed going forward?

I've been in Bloomington twice in the last few weeks (for reasons unrelated to Greek Life), so now I actually understand when people name areas of campus :-)
Old 03-01-2015, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought the concept of "married student housing" had long since passed into oblivion as a current consideration on campuses.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrubies View Post
A lot of women decide to drop out of the process if they don't get their desired houses, the desired houses tend to be the most exclusive with smaller pledge classes.

Also, the only reason the unhoused chapters seem successful and have similar sized chapters it is because most do informal fall and spring recruitment. The retention rate for unhoused chapters isn't very high.
If a chapter has at or close to the size of other chapters, it *is* a successful chapters. Not all chapters are strong in formal recruitment, that doesn't mean they aren't good, strong chapters.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
If a chapter has at or close to the size of other chapters, it *is* a successful chapters. Not all chapters are strong in formal recruitment, that doesn't mean they aren't good, strong chapters.
Exactly. Just looking at the Facebook pages for some of these newer, unhoused chapters, the only thing they SEEM to be is happy, growing groups.

Participating in informal recruitment doesn't make these chapters any less successful than the ones that only do formal. How you even compare these things at a campus like IU, I don't know. Their quotas are all different. So let's say Sorority A (housed) sets their quota at 40, and Sorority B (unhoused) sets their quota at 65. Each makes quota. Then Sorority B has 15 new members drop. Which sorority is more successful? And what if Sorority B gains 15 more new members through informal recruitment, all of whom end up staying? Which sorority is more successful then?

And let's face it - there are at least a few girls who are dropping these chapters simply because they don't have a house. Does that mean that a chapter isn't successful simply because they don't currently have a place to live together?

Until we hear about a chapter truly struggling to gain and keep new members, I wouldn't consider any of them to be "unsuccessful".

@~/~~~~
Old 03-01-2015, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I thought the concept of "married student housing" had long since passed into oblivion as a current consideration on campuses.
I was just thinking this myself. I don't know that there are many married students at more traditional campuses like Indiana or Clemson, and if there are it's much easier for them to just find a house or apartment off-campus.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Back when these married student housing buildings were built, there were not nearly as many apartment building on campus as there are now. There really weren't that many places that a young married couple could afford to live either and these buildings were cheaper than apartments. The married couples often relocated due to the GI Bill or one of them was in grad school and the other was either not pursuing a degree or finishing up an undergrad degree. Over the years, more international students with families came to IU for the business school or graduate degrees in science, business, or law.

Married student housing requests began to dwindle as more and more apartments were built in town. One of the married student complexes shut down several years ago. I think BBHN is only one of two complexes left on campus.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Actually, most of the complexes are still there. The big difference is that they're not just for married/grad students anymore. Now anyone who's lived in one of the dorms for a year (or transferred in after a year at another college) and is over the age of 19 can live in one of those complexes.

(That still seems weird to me, as do the facts that Eigenmann is no longer an over-21 hall and Forest is coed. And now only three of the dorms aren't air conditioned - back when I started, only three and a half had AC! But I digress...)

Last edited by Sister Havana; 03-02-2015 at 05:08 PM.