GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,390
2 members and 2,388 guests
MSKKG, navane

Old 09-06-2013, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Is this a problem????

Im a freshman rushing currently. I have been rushing 3 fraternities this fall but one far more aggressively than the others. I've been to all of the rush events for the house,gotten invited to all of their senior house parties, and talked to a lot the brothers and know a good amount of them on a first name basis. Rush has been going on for a week and there was a invite only golf event today that I was expecting to get invited to but didn't. There are two or three more sober rush events and in the next couple days that I plan on going to and then only invite stuff after that. Bids are getting handed out next weekend. Should I be worried that I didn't get invited to this golf thing or is it not too big of a deal???
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-06-2013, 04:43 PM

Yes, it might be a signal. But, the only thing you can do is to keep going moving on. Make sure the other two groups know you are interested, too.

Also, if you go to the open events for the one that you like the most, do not ask "Why wasn't I invited to the golf event?" or even "How was the golfing event?" Just talk to the guys, act normal, and hope for the best.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 09-06-2013, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Do you golf?
Old 09-06-2013, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Do you golf?
That's what I was wondering, too. They might be doing different activities with different people, but this is out of my lane, so I really don't have any credibility. It sounds like LaneSig gave you good advice!
Old 09-06-2013, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Was this the first non-party "invite only" event? Were a significant amount of people invited, or only a few?

The trick with golfing is that if they have tee times, they may only have been able to select a couple rushees (hell, probably only a couple actives). If it was looser (non tee times, maybe messing around a driving range) and a significant amount of rushees were invited, that is not a great sign. If it's only a couple because of limited numbers, not a problem (necessarily).

Next, how exclusive were the invites to the senior house parties? An invite only party for rushees can go multiple ways. Sometimes we were incredibly exclusive about it, and other times we would virtually tell anybody with a pulse. It depended on what "stage of the game" it was. Look around you and try to think critically (because it can go either way)...did it look like invites were extended to anybody who was interested, or were you requested to keep it "hush" and discouraged from bringing friends?

So...
A) The invite only parties were fairly open (even though they may have been "secret") and anybody with an interest in the house was invited/you would have had no problem bringing a friend or two, and the golf event could be attended by as many rushees as possible. Not a good sign for you. I would try to get in with a couple other houses as "safeties".
B) The invite only parties were very secret and not all rushees who expressed interest in the house were invited. The golf event had limited space due to tee times and only a select few rushees were invited. Not a slam dunk, but a better outlook for you.

The trick with fraternity rush is to read between the lines. Only you know the answers and your campus, but try to ask those questions in your mind and be honest with yourself.

Last edited by DTD Alum; 09-06-2013 at 08:31 PM.