GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,221
2 members and 1,219 guests
Cookiez17, Phrozen Sands

Old 11-29-2017, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

not in college but still want to pledge. Is it possible?

I still would like to join a fraternity but I am 37 and i am not in school. Back when I was in school I didn't get the chance to pledge. I ended up leaving school started working. Now that my kids are older I feel like this would be a good time to try and join a organization where I can be of service. I have already became a Mason but the amount of division that is in Masonry has really turned me off of the organization. I know most of your BGLO you must have a degree to pledge grad or city chapter but I am wondering if there any other organization out there that I can look in to that don't require a degree.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-29-2017, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you have friends in any NIC fraternities? Some of them do alum initiates.8
Old 11-29-2017, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think I've ever heard of an NIC group actively seeking AIs. It might be an honor we confer on a long time faculty adviser--and it's not really AI, it's just plain 'ol initiation. You pay the fee, you get the badge.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-29-2017, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trying2get-n View Post
I have already became a Mason but the amount of division that is in Masonry has really turned me off of the organization.
Don't know what you mean by division. But there is typically a lot of disagreement in male social fraternities as well. Keep in mind that these organizations are for college kids. I have only heard about special situations where college professors who are/were a long-time faculty adviser to a chapter sometimes being initiated. But for the situation you describe for yourself - no I would not encourage you to seek such membership.

From what I've seen (from a distance), joining the Masons is pretty darn close to the male social fraternity experience. Years ago, I had to drive past the Masonic Lodge in downtown Dallas, Texas each Saturday and Sunday. I saw their new (and mostly middle-aged) members standing in a line in the parking lot doing all kinds of weird stuff at the direction of what appeared to be (in fraternity lingo) a pledge trainer. I would always immediately flash back to my college experience as a lowly fraternity pledge.

Edit to add: I guess I should have completely read your question. There are a lot of fraternal organizations out there that may not have the same type of limitations that college fraternities have (or they may have more). Suggest you start your search here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...l_fraternities

Last edited by PhilTau; 11-29-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I get the feeling that a service organization may be a better fit for what you are looking for. There are so many out there and many offer great social opportunities also.

Anyway if you really want to pursue pledging a social fraternity, some things to consider... you will be hanging out with people much much younger than you, with even bigger differences and priorities. Your pledge brothers will be literally half your age. You will be getting to know, and perhaps answering to, actives who have a much narrower world view and far less wisdom than you. Are you OK with that? Do you think you will find a fraternity at your local school that will be comfortable with a 37 year old hanging out at social and service events? Do you really want to go out serenading 18-22 year old women? Or tailgate with kids who weren't alive when the Super Bowl Shuffle was a thing? Or endure the type of music college kids these days enjoy at parties? (lol) Will you find a lot in common with a group of students worrying about midterms and class projects? Do you really want to fork out the dues that these kids pay every semester?
Old 11-29-2017, 03:28 PM

^ He isn't a student so your point (and entire post) is completely moot. RIF.

I am guessing by division in Masonry, he doesn't mean within his chapter but between chapters and the national org running things.

OP - I would look into community organizations besides the Masons. Maybe something more locally based. Or volunteer for an organization or cause that appeals to you. It is never too late to find good friends you can create lifetime bonds with - and sometimes that happens in the most unlikely of places and situations - but as far as the experience of being a collegiate fraternity member, that ship has sailed.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I understand that he isn't currently a student, my assumption is that he wants to pledge a fraternity and be an active member (not alumni), and hence undergo the activities of pledgeship in order to do so.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I don't think I've ever heard of an NIC group actively seeking AIs. It might be an honor we confer on a long time faculty adviser--and it's not really AI, it's just plain 'ol initiation. You pay the fee, you get the badge.
Ditto for us.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAggie View Post
I understand that he isn't currently a student, my assumption is that he wants to pledge a fraternity and be an active member (not alumni), and hence undergo the activities of pledgeship in order to do so.
But he can't do that if he isn't a student. It isn't permitted.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAggie View Post
If you find an NIC fraternity which is willing to take pledges who are non students, run. There is nothing legit going on there. Speaking for Sigma Nu (and it seems Pike is the same), if you are being initiated as an alumnus, we just initiate you. You do not pledge with us because by that point, the opinion of the chapter and in our case, our High Council is that you should simply be initiated. Upon initiation, you will be considered an alumnus as you will be a non-matriculate member. But it doesn't sound like OP is really looking at NIC organizations, and if he is, he shouldn't get his hopes up.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-29-2017, 04:40 PM

^^ditto with Sigma Chi

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 11-29-2017, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

He specifically mentioned grad/citywide chapters for NPHC, so I don't think the NIC experience (alumnus or otherwise) is going to provide what he is seeking.

To the OP - The people I've spoken to say that the closest experience to the NPHC grad/alumni experience is that of Masonry, so I'm not sure if there are a ton of other similar organizations that would be like it. What are you hoping to get out of your involvement? That could help posters point you in the direction of an organization that fits your needs.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
He specifically mentioned grad/citywide chapters for NPHC, so I don't think the NIC experience (alumnus or otherwise) is going to provide what he is seeking.

To the OP - The people I've spoken to say that the closest experience to the NPHC grad/alumni experience is that of Masonry, so I'm not sure if there are a ton of other similar organizations that would be like it. What are you hoping to get out of your involvement? That could help posters point you in the direction of an organization that fits your needs.
True - I just assumed he simply wanted to wear letters. Kind of creepy if he wants to hang with college guys on a peer level.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all the reply's. To start off no I would not want to go through the same process 18-22 years old do. You are right I have nothing or very little in common with undergrad members of a fraternity. And to go around trying pull young ladies that are my daughter age is out of the question. So the just of what I am really searching for is to Join a Group of men that exemplify real brotherhood. I had a friend of mine that is in my masonic lodge that just pledge grad chapter Alpha and he said it is pretty much the same it is just the brotherhood in Alpha was on another level. That is what I want to be a part of. To wear what ever para and not be judged or questioned why am I wearing something that look like a frat be cause we masons don't do stuff like that. I know its do and don'ts to every Org but it just seem like in masonry it is to many. So mainly looking for a group grad or city-wide that exemplify the true aspect of brotherhood nation-wide.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trying2get-n View Post
Thanks for all the reply's. To start off no I would not want to go through the same process 18-22 years old do. You are right I have nothing or very little in common with undergrad members of a fraternity. And to go around trying pull young ladies that are my daughter age is out of the question. So the just of what I am really searching for is to Join a Group of men that exemplify real brotherhood. I had a friend of mine that is in my masonic lodge that just pledge grad chapter Alpha and he said it is pretty much the same it is just the brotherhood in Alpha was on another level. That is what I want to be a part of. To wear what ever para and not be judged or questioned why am I wearing something that look like a frat be cause we masons don't do stuff like that. I know its do and don'ts to every Org but it just seem like in masonry it is to many. So mainly looking for a group grad or city-wide that exemplify the true aspect of brotherhood nation-wide.
Just curious.... how far away from you from obtaining a degree?