GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Events Is your organization hosting an Event or do you know about an upcoming Event and would like to get the word out? Post all Event related information here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,503
1 members and 2,502 guests
LaneSig

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-20-2016, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Just Because We're The Bottom Tier..

I attend pretty much every Greek event possible from philanthropy dinners to fundraisers to vigils to parties. I do this not to be a kiss-ass, but because I love my chapter enough to sacrifice a little sleep and Netflix. Just because we are the bottom tier, that doesn't mean we have to act like our stereotype. There are only a handful of sisters that help raise the standard of excellence in our chapter, and it shows.

I have severe social anxiety but I can still put on a good face and talk to others in a normal and effective manner. We attract lazy and unmotivated girls during recruitment because of our appearance. Sisters are scaring off our wanted PNMs by being too interviewish or not interested enough in their lives. They rely too much on back pocket questions and we've suffered from consistent disaffiliation. We are no better than any other human, but the goal is not for us to convince PNMs that we are worth their time. PNMs should see that themselves. We at least need to look like we're selective- not desperate to meet a quota. Then once they accept their bid, give PNMs what they thought they'd receive and more!

People like options even if they don't take advantage of all of them. Variety is key. Stop selecting girls that are spitting images of our stereotype. We don't have to be the chapter that feels sorry for people who were going to be bidless in recruitment. There's a reason why they were bidless. The effort that we put in shows. If we are dressed extremely relaxed all of recruitment week because "heels are uncomfortable", then put in some Mr. Scholl's and suck it up! You don't like wearing makeup? Put on some mascara and lipstick at the least! The point isn't heels or makeup, but bids should be earned by showing you have what it takes and are willing to sacrifice a little to be in your chapter. It helps weed out the weak (in this case the unmotivated/undedicated) and more respect for your chapter because you worked to get in there.

Like I said earlier, my chapter isn't very social, so Greeks look at me dumbfounded when I show up to their door and say what sorority I'm in. My sorority doesn't go out or talk to other Greeks. My sorority isn't supposed to have attractive or fit girls. My sorority is supposed to be bottomdwelling and not even considered competition in recruitment. I say screw that! Even if it's just me and my future little, we are going to keep awesome grades, hopefully take up exec positions, and enjoy the rest of college with wellrounded women- whether our chapter joins the bandwagon or not. The bottom tier doesn't have to mean a lesser experience!

*It's not for every school, but my definition of bottom tier is the commonly accepted definition*