GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,434
1 members and 2,433 guests
No Members online

Old 08-26-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkprtygirl View Post
she does have a tendency to embellish things and has been known in the past as a bit of a liar.
This.

Don't worry, if she actually shows up at a chapter meeting or something like big/little, she'll get schooled very hard very fast.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhiAnna View Post
We've also had instances where somebody brought their friend as a "date" to a social function if they had just broken up with a boyfriend or something like that. But I can say with a fair amount of certainty that she will not be welcome at exchanges/invites, etc (why whould you want somebody you cut representing your GLO at those events?)
Mixers/Exchanges with a fraternity? No. The guest list is the members of the fraternity and members of the sorority having the exchange.

Dated parties/invites/crush parties? Yes. She should be welcome unless she has done something outrageous that the chapter would ban her from being a guest. That'd be pretty crazy to say "Oh we cut her, she's not welcome at our dated party," because that's like saying, "We cut her, none of our members can be friends with her/seen in public with her." Members of my chapter bring female friends to dated parties all the time, some of whom we cut, some of whom are members of other chapters, some of whom have not gone through recruitment. Like I said, unless she has done something to pose a huge risk management threat, she should be welcome.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Mixers/Exchanges with a fraternity? No. The guest list is the members of the fraternity and members of the sorority having the exchange.

Dated parties/invites/crush parties? Yes. She should be welcome unless she has done something outrageous that the chapter would ban her from being a guest. That'd be pretty crazy to say "Oh we cut her, she's not welcome at our dated party," because that's like saying, "We cut her, none of our members can be friends with her/seen in public with her." Members of my chapter bring female friends to dated parties all the time, some of whom we cut, some of whom are members of other chapters, some of whom have not gone through recruitment. Like I said, unless she has done something to pose a huge risk management threat, she should be welcome.
I wouldn't be so sure. Unless she was taken AS A DATE, no female not in our sorority would be welcome at a formal or date party. She is not a member of the sorority, she has not paid dues to support the party, and she is not welcome unless a sister has brought her as her allotted date.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantASTic View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. Unless she was taken AS A DATE, no female not in our sorority would be welcome at a formal or date party. She is not a member of the sorority, she has not paid dues to support the party, and she is not welcome unless a sister has brought her as her allotted date.
Yea, I know of someone who took her biological sister to a couple of sorority functions as "her date" so that she could go. I don't know the details of the the type of event it was though. I don't think it was a fraternity/sorority mixer, it was more of a sisterhood outing where dates were allowed (not aloud ) to attend
Old 08-27-2008, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantASTic View Post
That's exactly what I meant. Bringing a friend as a date.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorority women are allowed to have friends who are not members of their own chapters, and to do normal "friend" activities with them.

That is probably the message that was convoluted during it's journey.

Sorority member --> Your cousin's best friend --> Your cousin --> You --> GreekChat members

Perhaps your cousin, while visiting her best friend, will fall in love with the members of her best friends sorority. Perhaps the sorority members will see a new side of your cousin and change their minds about extending a bid. Perhaps they will be under total (read: have room to add new members, since there is a ceiling at all campuses called total). Perhaps they will extend a bid, she will accept, and everything will be fine.

Sorority recruitment is a great way to plop hundreds of new members into sorority chapters in less than a week. However, anyone involved in the process would agree that it's not a way to understand any woman at the level we would prefer (character, integrity, etc). With more time, your cousin could end up a member of the sorority and *voi la* be naturally invited to all of the events.

HTH

Last edited by PenguinTrax; 08-28-2008 at 08:02 AM.