GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,539
1 members and 2,538 guests
fmanning

Old 02-25-2010, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Sprite Step-Off Update: ZTA and AKA to share 1st place

Step team shares 1st in national finals after racial controversy
http://idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=74077

I dont know if this is old news but I thought it was interesting.
I wonder what the "descrepancies" were.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-25-2010, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Just Wow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xp2k View Post
Step team shares 1st in national finals after racial controversy
http://idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=74077

I dont know if this is old news but I thought it was interesting.
I wonder what the "descrepancies" were.
That's just stupid. It's 2010 and people can't get beyond race. It is stupid that a "white" sorority couldn't be seen as the 1st place organization because some people were "offended" or "upset" that they won. That's pretty pathetic in my mind. The people who made such an issue about it seem just as racist as they claim others to be. Good grief. If I was a Zeta, I'd be pretty pissed.

I'm glad that both organizations did well at this step-off, but to take away someone's "honor" because there was racial controversy says a lot about today's society.

Just "WOW" is pretty much all I can say. Oh, and FWIW (before I get flamed for my opinion) I respect all GLOs and some of my best friends are SGRhos, AKAs and Deltas. I don't really know many Zetas, but the ones I have met have been sweet, as well. I just think that in this day and age people need to see beyond color and be happy that they can share a stage and an incredible talent.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^Agree 100%
Old 02-25-2010, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

From what I've heard, the discrepancies seem to be that ZTA copied AKA's routines, therefore being unoriginal which is not acceptable in any kind of competition, really. And apparently none of the judges were Greek so some feel that they weren't qualified to judge such performances.

True to Gold and Double Blue, our Alpha Xi
Old 02-25-2010, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

And those are "the discrepancies" that will likely be used to "justify" this decision.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I would urge you ladies (als and kappamd) to take a look at the discussion on this topic on the Alpha Kappa Alpha and Delta Sigma Theta boards--if you want to broaden your perspective, that is.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiDMeesh View Post
From what I've heard, the discrepancies seem to be that ZTA copied AKA's routines, therefore being unoriginal which is not acceptable in any kind of competition, really. And apparently none of the judges were Greek so some feel that they weren't qualified to judge such performances.
Actually, it's a good thing that AKA kept it classy. The nerve of one group to compete against another using their steps. In D9 and BGLO world this is a no no for sure. Those outside of the D9 who want to step are welcome to but don't just do the steps, learn about the tradition and the stepping culture. If you respect others, then others will respect you. Has nothing to do with race, at least not from my point of view.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
It's 2010 and people can't get beyond race.
The year has absolutely nothing to do with it. Social dynamics haven't changed.

Quote:
It is stupid that a "white" sorority couldn't be seen as the 1st place organization because some people were "offended" or "upset" that they won. That's pretty pathetic in my mind. The people who made such an issue about it seem just as racist as they claim others to be. Good grief. If I was a Zeta, I'd be pretty pissed.
I haven't seen racism used with this, but whatever's whatever.

Correct, any organization with no real history of stepping, that won because it shocked people and that's all, can't be seen as the 1st place organization. In this instance, it was a "historically and predominantly white sorority." That is also why this news feed is reaching so many people who would otherwise not give a damn about ANY of this stuff. Therefore, it is also reaching people who have absolutely no basis for their opinions and they don't know that stepshow results that are deemed unfair are always challenged. People just have different reasons to challenge these results because they know the nature of the beast.

Sprite and MTV2 knew what they were doing--welcome to the world of race (which is not synonymous with racism). A non-NPHC org that was still predominantly Black wouldn't have received such coverage.

Last edited by DrPhil; 02-26-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That's just stupid. It's 2010 and people can't get beyond race. It is stupid that a "white" sorority couldn't be seen as the 1st place organization because some people were "offended" or "upset" that they won. That's pretty pathetic in my mind. The people who made such an issue about it seem just as racist as they claim others to be. Good grief. If I was a Zeta, I'd be pretty pissed.

I'm glad that both organizations did well at this step-off, but to take away someone's "honor" because there was racial controversy says a lot about today's society.

Just "WOW" is pretty much all I can say. Oh, and FWIW (before I get flamed for my opinion) I respect all GLOs and some of my best friends are SGRhos, AKAs and Deltas. I don't really know many Zetas, but the ones I have met have been sweet, as well. I just think that in this day and age people need to see beyond color and be happy that they can share a stage and an incredible talent.
Just Wow at your comments. Just because you object to something doesn't make you a racist. Sure some people may have those feelings but the majority have legitimate issues with this whole production and the way things were handled, and not just regarding ZTA.

If anyone is to blame it's Sprite and/or MTV and they are just trying now to save face although it's really too late. Many errors and wrong doings occurred during this event even in the regional competitions. My sorors for example, competed against other D9 sororities coming in last place in Chicago when it was obvious that they should've come in 1st or 2nd. Sprite then reviewed the scoring sheet and changed the decision and gave my sorors 2nd place, although some still believed they should've gotten 1st. Errors like this occurred throughout the entire competition from what I hear and everything was very disorganized. Scoring sheets were reviewed several times because of discrepancies. It became obvious to many that Sprite was really only interested in capitalizing on the popularity of the D9. Many also thought that this was only a D9 competition since the D9 was used mostly for advertising and promotion. Many members were shocked to learn eventually that the competition was not a D9 event.

Oh and ZTA's "honor" has not been removed. If Sprite wanted to take away their win and therefore their "honor," they would disqualify the team for doing all D9 steps and for booty popping at the end of their performance, something that D9 orgs were told not to do or they would be disqualified.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
Has nothing to do with race, at least not from my point of view.
Race did three things here:

1) Made people, in general, pay closer attention to the competition and THIS team. That had a social-psychological impact on damn near everyone who was paying attention to this;

2) added insult to injury regarding the results;

3) and; provided a historical reminder of days not too long gone.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:33 AM
Banned

LOL @ some of my bestfriends are _________.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
The year has absolutely nothing to do with it. Social dynamics haven't changed.

I haven't seen racism used with this, but whatever's whatever.

Correct, any organization with no real history of stepping, that won because it shocked people and that's all, can't be seen as the 1st place organization. In this instance, it was a "historically and predominantly white sorority." That is also why this news feed is reaching so many people who would otherwise not give a damn about ANY of this stuff. Therefore, it is also reaching people who have absolutely no basis for their opinions and they don't know that stepshow results that are deemed unfair are always challenged. People just have different reasons to challenge these results because they know the nature of the beast.

Sprite and MTV2 knew what they were doing--welcome to the world of race (which is not synonymous with racism). A non-NPHC org that was still predominantly Black wouldn't have received such coverage.
Exactly. And within the D9, stepshow results are challenged/opinions voiced all the time when members believe scoring/judging was not fair. Race has nothing to do with it.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
LOL @ some of my bestfriends are _________.
And my personal favorite white person comment: "It's 2010 and people can't get beyond race."
Old 02-26-2010, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiDMeesh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappamd View Post
And those are "the discrepancies" that will likely be used to "justify" this decision.
They seem like pretty valid discrepancies to me. Put yourself in the AKA's shoes - lets say your school does/did Greek Sing or some kind of talent competition for Greeks to showcase their skills. You and your sisters have pretty much trademarked something that EVERYONE knows is Kappa material, be it steps, the music, costumes, or whatever. Some other sorority, whether they are new or not or NPC or not, uses your material(s) and wins first place, and you don't. Would you not be highly pissed off? I know I would be.

True to Gold and Double Blue, our Alpha Xi
Old 02-26-2010, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It's reaching me and I still don't give a damn. I'm only here for the trainwrecks.