GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,414
2 members and 1,412 guests
No Members online

Old 09-10-2007, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

he will become a dirty bird?

ich werde das nie verstehen

aber, ich will gern zulernen von deutsche "fraternites" (studentbrudershaften?)

does anybody remember the name of the German fraternity that the one guy who used to post here was in? It had four colors on the coat of arms and they wore tri-colored caps on their heads, and dressed in uniforms with swords.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU OX Alum View Post

ich werde das nie verstehen

aber, ich will gern zulernen von deutsche "fraternites" (studentbrudershaften?)

does anybody remember the name of the German fraternity that the one guy who used to post here was in? It had four colors on the coat of arms and they wore tri-colored caps on their heads, and dressed in uniforms with swords.
Hm, donīt you remember this colours? The description of his cloths is not very precise, because almost every fraternity has the so-called "Chargenwichs", you described.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAPital PHINUst View Post

Well, ich bin verde ein schmutzinger vogel sein *lol*
Okay, there are 2 options to correct this sentence:

- Ich bin ein schmutziger Vogel. (I am a dirty bird).
- Ich werde ein schmutziger Vogel sein. (I will be a dirty bird).

As the second sounds a bit crazy, I guess you meant the first one.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaGermany View Post

Crazy as it is, it's actually the second version.

Look up the phrase "I'll be a monkey's uncle". It's the same thing, but more commonly used.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU OX Alum View Post
Hint: Substitute "monkey's uncle" for "dirty bird", and you will get the jist of what the phrase was supposed to convey. Again, it was a phrase that the late comedian George Gobel used to say as a signature trademark line.

I got the German version from a old (1975) episode of Jeopardy whereby the category was "Foreign Phrases" and the $60 clue was the phrase I mentioned. Hence my post.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

They say you know you're in trouble if your jokes have to be explained. *lol*

Last edited by KAPital PHINUst; 09-10-2007 at 01:44 PM. Reason: AlphaFrog clarified the jist of the sentence.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
"Verde" is Spanish.
"Schmutzinger" is a surname.

What he was TRYING to say was "Ich bin werde ein schmutziger vogel sein".

Not that it's any funnier. And I think the sentence structure is still a little weak.
*lol* Thank you for clarifying. While I haven't actively spoke German save for a few phrases here and there since high school (over 15 years ago), I think I did a pretty darn good job for a rusty guy like myself. *makes pseudo-dignifed facial grimace*
Old 09-10-2007, 02:02 PM

Ach du lieber.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

VictoriaGermany,

I just wanted to tell you this is one of the most interesting threads I've read in awhile! Thank you so much for sharing!

The sorority I am a member of actually opened a chapter in Manheim I believe in 2003, but has since closed. I can find more information if you are interested.

I look forward to reading more about greek life in Germany!

Old 09-10-2007, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

How do they learn about history and traditions of their new sorority? In Germany, one member of the sorority is responsible for the education of new members. She will give them regular lessons (once a week or once every fortnight). As I mentioned in another post: At the end they will have to pass an exam to proof they know enough about the sorority. As long as you are not fully accepted, you will only wear a ribbon with 2 colours. This will show other members of fraternities or sororities, that you are not fully accepted. And as long as you are "Fux/Fuchs/Fähe...", you are not allowed to visit other corporations on your own.
If you do so, the members of the other corporation can catch you and your sisters or brother have to buy you off with a lot of beer
There is a new member program developed by each NPC sorority that teaches the new members the history and symbols of their group. A new member educator is elected by the chapter and is advised by an alumna. They teach the new members and administer a test to assure that the women are ready for initiation. A lot of what is important to these sororities can only be learned after initiation. Ritual is the heart of each of these groups, and only initiated members can know the ritual. We hope members will continue to learn throughout their lives rather than just during their new member periods.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-10-2007, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Sorry, donīt know what you mean with "top side".
Topside, usually means on of the aircraft carrier... But, in this context, you had requested that we PM you. So, I was unsure if you wanted us not to post anything on your Thread.

I do, find your statements TRES INTERRESANTS!!!

Quote:
There are sorority sisters of your in Germany? Cool! Do you think thereīs a way to get in touch with them? Maybe one of them is interested in giving a speech about sororities in the US?
My sorority has - as the only sorority in Germany - the goal to pratise and support the English language as it is the new "lingua franca". We therefore would love to have someone here to give us a lecture - even if it is in English
Well, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. is the first sorority organized for and by Black women at Howard University in Washington D.C. Since, most of our ancestors in America were enslaved 500 years ago, there was a necessity 100 years ago to be formed, although not every single member is Black. Our motto is "To be of service to all mankind". We arose out of necessity to serve our communities. Overtime, we developed our own personal characteristics, just like everyone else here.

I misspoke, the chapter is near Heidelberg. The website is here.

I do not know how far you are from the area, but, feel free to contact them on new ideas... Also, we are not the only US originated, ethnically based sorority there, there is Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.

The US has gone through trying times. I think some things have changed for the better. These organizations still exist for reasons that may not be clearly apparent. One thing I have seen through Greekchat, that we are all in this together, yet we need our distinctions because humanity needs all peoples' perspectives and cannot excel if one's is suppressed...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 09-11-2007, 05:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihearttrisigma View Post
VictoriaGermany,

I just wanted to tell you this is one of the most interesting threads I've read in awhile! Thank you so much for sharing!

The sorority I am a member of actually opened a chapter in Manheim I believe in 2003, but has since closed. I can find more information if you are interested.

I look forward to reading more about greek life in Germany!

Mannheim? Too bad they closed down. At the end of September members of several German sororities will meet in Mannheim to share experiences and have a lot of fun together.

As we do not have any umbrella organisation for sororities in Germany, we set up an annual event which will be in another city every year. This year it will be in Mannheim.

Donīt know how much you are in contact with your sorority sisters in Germany. If they are interested to meet the German sororities on the DVT (Damenverbindungstreffen), please let me know and I will give you further details.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post
I do, find your statements TRES INTERRESANTS!!!
Thank you I also have to thank you all for your posts. As soon as I have more time (currently I am preparing for an exam) I will visit all the sites to recommended me.

Quote:
Well, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. is the first sorority organized for and by Black women at Howard University in Washington D.C. Since, most of our ancestors in America were enslaved 500 years ago, there was a necessity 100 years ago to be formed, although not every single member is Black. Our motto is "To be of service to all mankind". We arose out of necessity to serve our communities. Overtime, we developed our own personal characteristics, just like everyone else here.
Hey, thatīs definitely something to be proud of! As I mentioned before, the German sororities are quite young. There have been sororities (the first one was founded in 1899) before the wars and they were formed for similar reasons: the first women at university organised in sororities to support each other.
There is a website showing parts of an exhibition about the first women at university in Germany. Here, it is mentioned, that some professors refused to teach as long as there are women in the room or that the first female students felt quite uncomfortable as men started to whistle when they entered the room.

After the 2nd World War, the situation for women in Germany changed a lot. First they had to build up the country and later their role was more to stay at home and care for husband and children.

So the first "new" sorority was founded in 1976, the TTDV Ferra Floris. It is has a textile-technical orientation.

Quote:
I misspoke, the chapter is near Heidelberg. The website is here.

I do not know how far you are from the area, but, feel free to contact them on new ideas... Also, we are not the only US originated, ethnically based sorority there, there is Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
Ah, Heidelberg Yeah, there are a lot of Americans near Heidelberg.

Unfortunately, I do live in the North of Germany, but we have plans to visit friends from another sorority which is located in Heidelberg. (They meet up in the most famous studentsīcorporations pub "Schnookeloch". It is decorated with old pictures, colours and typical items of the corporations from Heidelberg)
Thanks for the link.

Quote:
The US has gone through trying times. I think some things have changed for the better. These organizations still exist for reasons that may not be clearly apparent. One thing I have seen through Greekchat, that we are all in this together, yet we need our distinctions because humanity needs all peoples' perspectives and cannot excel if one's is suppressed...
Thatīs right.

By the way: I like your signature Our motto is a quote from Aesop: "Hic Rhodus, hic salta!". As determination is one of your principles, this sentences should remind every sorority sister so show what she is really able to do. Hm, itīs difficult to translate it. I hope you understand what I mean.

The Latin language is integrated in the German studentsī corporations life. Most corporations have latin principles, e.g. scientia, religio, patria.... We also use single words or phrases during celebrations, e.g. "Silentium" to make the attendees shut up.
By the way: Our celebrations/rituals are nothing we keep in secrecy. There is only one event which externals cannot attend: the so-called "Convent". It is the meeting of the active/inactive members of the corporations where all kind of organisation stuff as well as punishment etc. is discussed.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihearttrisigma View Post
VictoriaGermany,

I agree. Thanks for starting the thread, VictoriaGermany.

My own (possible) German connection: I am a brother in Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia Fraternity, a social fraternity for men with a particular interest in music. We were founded at the New England Conservatory (Boston) in 1898, and our original name was The Sinfonia Fraternity (or often simply, The Sinfonia). Fraternity lore has it that the name was suggested by the director of the Conservatory, who suggested that the newly-forming group adopt the name of an organization he had belonged to when he was a student in Leipzig.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I agree. Thanks for starting the thread, VictoriaGermany.
Thank you , I am happy to share my experiences with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
My own (possible) German connection: I am a brother in Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia Fraternity, a social fraternity for men with a particular interest in music. We were founded at the New England Conservatory (Boston) in 1898, and our original name was The Sinfonia Fraternity (or often simply, The Sinfonia). Fraternity lore has it that the name was suggested by the director of the Conservatory, who suggested that the newly-forming group adopt the name of an organization he had belonged to when he was a student in Leipzig.
Wow, thatīs interesting! I just checked, but unfortunately, couldnīt find any information about Sinfonia Leipzig on the web. Possible, it doesnīt exist anymore.

Thanks for writing about music-oriented corporations. I almost forgot to mention that we have them as well . There is one umbrella organisation with fraternities and unisex corporations in Germany. All Corporations have their colours, but they do not wear them. We are in contact with a sorority from Hamburg which was founded last year and entered the umbrella organisation this year in May. Itīs the first sorority in this organisation.

Beside this, there are the so-called "Sängerschaften". They are also involved in the academic fencing tradition and I guess in most cases their members sing in a choir. Unfortunately, fencing with sharp weapons and singing in a choir doesnīt fit together very well, therefore more and more Sängerschaften have to close down.

I can only imagine the standing American studentsīcorporation have. In Germany, it is always hard to find new members to keep the idea of a life-long friendship alive.