GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,574
1 members and 1,573 guests
navane

Old 07-31-2011, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

A few Sorority Recruitment questions

Alright, I have been an unregistered lurker here for the past few weeks and today I've decided to register and join this fantastic online community. So after reading I have a few questions I hope you guys don't mind answering. Thankyou.

All right, I'm not going to be rushing for a few years or so because I'm still in highschool all I can think about is the future. And I would love a sorority to be apart of that future. Even though I still have a few years I can't help but to ask some questions.

1. In NPC sororities how diverse would you say they are? And going through recruitment would being an African American put me at any disadvantage?
*I'm not calling anyone a racist at any means its just I know racist or not people tend to be more comfortable around people like them and this has been brought to my concern.

2.In your experience what happens to bidless rushees? In general are do these people have desirable personalities or not? What I'm asking is even if you are a good wholesome fun charismatic girl do you hold a good chance of not getting a bid? And about on average in your experience how many people didn't get a bid

3. Recs, how important are they. Namely at these 4 schools I'm looking at UCSB, UCF, UK, and OSU. Also how competitive is rush here?

4. In your experience how judmental, if judmental at all are sororities? One of my biggest fears is being judged before someone actually talks to me. (I'm not the best looking but I have a good personality)

5. What's bid day like?? What did you do for your bid day?

Thankyou so much and please don't look at my questions as ignorant. I'm new here and to this entire system and I only want to learn
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-31-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuregreekhope View Post
Alright, I have been an unregistered lurker here for the past few weeks and today I've decided to register and join this fantastic online community. So after reading I have a few questions I hope you guys don't mind answering. Thankyou.

All right, I'm not going to be rushing for a few years or so because I'm still in highschool all I can think about is the future. And I would love a sorority to be apart of that future. Even though I still have a few years I can't help but to ask some questions.

1. In NPC sororities how diverse would you say they are? And going through recruitment would being an African American put me at any disadvantage?
*I'm not calling anyone a racist at any means its just I know racist or not people tend to be more comfortable around people like them and this has been brought to my concern.

2.In your experience what happens to bidless rushees? In general are do these people have desirable personalities or not? What I'm asking is even if you are a good wholesome fun charismatic girl do you hold a good chance of not getting a bid? And about on average in your experience how many people didn't get a bid

3. Recs, how important are they. Namely at these 4 schools I'm looking at UCSB, UCF, UK, and OSU. Also how competitive is rush here?

4. In your experience how judmental, if judmental at all are sororities? One of my biggest fears is being judged before someone actually talks to me. (I'm not the best looking but I have a good personality)

Thankyou so much and please don't look at my questions as ignorant. I'm new here and to this entire system and I only want to learn
Most if not all of the things you are asking are going to vary GREATLY from school to school, and you are looking at a quite wide variety of schools.

Sorry if that's a non-answer, but it is what it is.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Not to mention that, "few years or so" in the future, things could change drastically at each of these campuses.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh alright thanks . I didn't know. thankyou
Old 07-31-2011, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't really answer this, because we never had many minorities go through rush at my school. But we did have a few, and they all found homes. This is one of those things that will depend on your school.

Well, do those good, wholesome, fun, charismatic girls have a high enough GPA? Were they involved in a lot in high school? Do they have awesome personalities and communicate well? If your GPA is low, you aren't involved, and you're overly shy, those are things that may work against you. Sometimes bidless rushees will make themselves eligible for COB, sometimes they go through formal rush the next year, or informal rush the following semester. Sometimes they don't want to try again and they figure Greek life isn't for them, and sometimes they find other campus activities that keep them involved. It just depends on the person, and the groups in question. As for how many didn't get a bid, this always depends on the school, and if they guarantee a bid if you maximize your options.

Wow, those are all over the US! OSU... Ohio or Oklahoma? Check out the sticky in the Recruitment section under Sororities called "Schools where you absolutely positively need recs." UCF, I would say yes. UKentucky, a definite yes. I don't know about UCSB. Oklahoma State, yes. Ohio State, it would be nice to have.

Work with what you have! First impressions mean a lot. Make sure your hair looks great, your make-up is subtle but enhancing. Your clothes should fit your body well, but be stylish and appropriate for the day (and comfortable!). If someone judges you before getting to know you a bit, do you want to be her sister? I wouldn't!

This depends on the school and the chapter, but to be generic, the day is filled with fun, getting to know new sisters and new pledge class members. Personally, we had a huge pizza party and spent the day playing ice breaker games and taking lots of pictures.

Quote:
Oh alright thanks . I didn't know. thankyou
It's ok, that's why it's good to ask.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow. Thank you so much. Ill explain my school choices since they're so over the map. Uk is like my safety in state school I can afford and get into. Ucsb is my dream school but its very competitive not to mention expensive for out of state. Ucf is my more rational dream school. And OSU (ohio state) is a somewhat close to home school in case I'm not ready to take that huge leap all the way across the country from home
Old 07-31-2011, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Just a word of caution from my own experience. The schools that were on my wish list from start of Junior year to mid-Senior year bear NO relationship to where I ended up! While my final choice may not have been my best one, the previous "wants" would have been even worse! Oh am I so glad I didn't go to any of them. You'll have plenty of time to get answers specific to the school you chose when it's time to make that decision. And then all the info will be up to date and relevant.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a PNM, so I normally don't say ANYTHING on these kinds of threads, but ITA with the poster above me.

I truly believed I would end up at a completely different school than the one I'm attending. I was sure of this until the end of junior year, which is when I visited my school. I can't imagine being anywhere else.

My sister is younger than I am, and I wholeheartedly encourage her to explore every college pamphlet and brochure she receives. There are so many schools out there; I think it's impossible to be set on where you're going to apply or attend (unless it's actually that point in your academic career).

That's the end of my "lane swerve." I just thought it merited saying.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Aha yes! I do realize these might not be the schools i end up at and by mid year i may have a completely different college in mind so I'll just go ahead and ask you to bear with me with any sorority questions I may have . Thank you guys so much , seriously. The kindness and the willing to help PNMs on this board is a great reflection on the Greek community and no matter what college I end up at or what Sorority I'm in I'll be proud to be Greek.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Just a word of caution from my own experience. The schools that were on my wish list from start of Junior year to mid-Senior year bear NO relationship to where I ended up! While my final choice may not have been my best one, the previous "wants" would have been even worse! Oh am I so glad I didn't go to any of them. You'll have plenty of time to get answers specific to the school you chose when it's time to make that decision. And then all the info will be up to date and relevant.
Sounds exactly like my daughter. She started HS telling me she wanted to go to a particular school, only wanted to apply to that school and thought nothing more about other schools since they were not in her plans. When taking her HS classes she chose those that would get her into that school, did not worry about the requirements for our local universities which she had absolutely no desire to attend. When we did the college tours her junior year, I told her she had to pick more than one school. It was too expensive to travel across country to only look at one. She pick 4, one was more of a nah nah nah to me for some reason (typical bratty teenager). We went to the nah nah nah school first and when we walked away she was in love. Went to second school and she loved it, went to third school (an ivy league) and hated it although the campus was gorgeous. Finally hit her #1 school. She saw it and was not happy at all. Ended up attending and graduating from nah nah nah.

DaffyKD
Old 08-01-2011, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Wow. Thank you so much. Ill explain my school choices since they're so over the map. UK is like my safety in state school I can afford and get into. Ucsb is my dream school but its very competitive not to mention expensive for out of state. Ucf is my more rational dream school. And OSU (ohio state) is a somewhat close to home school in case I'm not ready to take that huge leap all the way across the country from home
"Like" what the deuce?
Old 08-01-2011, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Like, she's a teenager...
Old 08-01-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
"Like" what the deuce?
I thought the days of the state universities in Kentucky were long past being considered "safeties", but then again, what do I know?

OP: good luck with the remainder of your HS career. I hope you do well academically and personally, and achieve your ACT/SAT goals so you can in fact apply and get into any schools you are considering attending in the future!