GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,391
4 members and 1,387 guests
flamboyanttree, Kevin, Xidelt

Old 07-12-2012, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Computers in Europe

I'll be moving to Ireland for grad school in the fall, and I've been trying to figure out if I'll have any problems with my computer and stuff.

My friends who have been in Europe said that I should just re-buy flat iron/curling iron/blow dryer there because of the voltage, but none of them brought computers. The adapter on my laptop says 100-240v/ 50-60Hz (as does my external hard drive). Will I do any lasting damage/wear through my electronics quickly if I use a plug adapter with my laptop and hard drive? (I've been searching on the Asus site, but I can't find anything about being able to re-buy the AC adapter there.) Thanks, everyone!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Your laptop will just need a plug adapter, or once you get there, you can probably find a more permanent cable. If it fits, it'll work just fine. So long as your adapter does 110 and 240/50-60Hz, you're perfectly alright.

If you have a desktop computer, there's sometimes a 110/240 switch on the back near where the A/C plugs in. Just switch it to 240 before you plug it in and you should be fine there.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-12-2012, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Just get a new power cable for your computer. It will work just fine. And yes on the small electrics - don't bring them with you. If you find a local version of Target or K-Mart, or even a thrift store, you can buy that stuff for cheap and it won't take up space in your suitcase.

Just reminding you, ANY medications you take, presciption, OTC or herbal, you want to bring with you. What's legal and available in one country is not the same as in another. I found some stuff that is OTC here was prescription in Dubai, and vice versa. And some stuff that we take for granted is just not available there. But that black and white list won't exist, so plan ahead for at least 3 months worth of stuff.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, Kevin!

DubaiSis- I haven't had any luck tracking down the power cord on the European site yet, but I'm hoping once I get there I'll have better luck! And I definitely don't care about small electronics... One of my sisters living in Germany sent me a list of the meds that I won't be able to get there, so thankfully I've got that sorted It's crazy to think of all of the differences!
Old 07-12-2012, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

As someone who is currently in the UK and writing from her laptop (Macbook Pro), I've had no trouble with my dual voltage stuff. I just use a plug adapter, and all has been smooth sailing. I also have had no trouble with my Kindle charger, for what that's worth.

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 07-12-2012, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm in the Netherlands and I use a plug that you put between your computer and the socket. You can usually pick them up at any major store in the travel department.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
You won't have a problem in Ireland, you'll just need an adapter for the plug. They're cheap as chips, much cheaper in Ireland than in America (EU immigrants have this same issue)

Something to remember: DVD's are zoned. America is Zone 1 (i think?) and the UK is a different one. I think you get to switch zones 5 times or so, and then you have to decide...do you want this to permanently play US dvd's or UK/RoI DVDs?

I got around this by either watching stuff online or using university computers for UK dvd's.

On the medicine thing-- it's not that big of a deal, and this is coming from someone who has a major medical condition. In my experience, pharmacists in the UK/RoI are fantastic resources and will help you find something comparable/ the same to what you're using.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you, everyone!! My friend in Berlin recommended bringing one or two adapters with me, just so I have something when I get there. I guess I'll wait til I'm there to get to buy anymore! Yep, I've resigned myself that at least for this year, I'll be "stuck" with my dvds from home