GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,219
1 members and 2,218 guests
Xidelt

Old 05-25-2011, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Sophomore Recruitment

I have just decided to go through recruitment this fall. I will be entering my sophomore year of college. Freshman year I chose to participate in various clubs to see what would catch my interest. In the process I was elected into several leadership positions and one honor society. While my resume looks decent, I am concerned that I will get cut simply because I am a sophomore. I am friends with at least a few girls in every house who tell me they'll put in a good word, but I've still heard enough horror stories to make me a little cautious. I'm not rethinking rushing, but I want to know if my fear is valid or just a waste of time.

Although it may not matter, but I am also a minority student. PHA at my school, as I imagine it would be at most has a very small number of minorities, I'm wondering if that could be a helping/harming factor as well, even though everyone says it's "all" based on personality.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-25-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roses1992 View Post
I have just decided to go through recruitment this fall. I will be entering my sophomore year of college. Freshman year I chose to participate in various clubs to see what would catch my interest. In the process I was elected into several leadership positions and one honor society. While my resume looks decent, I am concerned that I will get cut simply because I am a sophomore. I am friends with at least a few girls in every house who tell me they'll put in a good word, but I've still heard enough horror stories to make me a little cautious. I'm not rethinking rushing, but I want to know if my fear is valid or just a waste of time.

Although it may not matter, but I am also a minority student. PHA at my school, as I imagine it would be at most has a very small number of minorities, I'm wondering if that could be a helping/harming factor as well, even though everyone says it's "all" based on personality.
It really depends on your school. At some schools, sophomores have just about the same chances as freshmen and get bids regularly. At others, they get cut heavily and have a hard time.

Generally speaking, it's worth a shot. Worst case scenario: you don't get a bid. At least you tried.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:52 PM
Banned

If class standing a handicap at your school, then there's nothing you can do about it. Instead of worrying about it, take control of the things you can improve such as conversation skills, appearance and highlighting your achievements in a non-bragging way.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Like the other ladies said, it very much depends on the school. I would recommend typing your school into the search bar here and finding out what you can that way. Put a positive spin on the fact that you waited till sophomore year to rush. I rushed as a sophomore and got my happy ending, so I wish you the best in finding yours.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

there may be a low number of minority members in PHC simply because a low number of minority women participate in PHC recruitment at your school. just do the best you can, read the recruitment forums here & get recommendations if they give pnms a leg up on your campus.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I'm surprised nobody has said this yet, but as a sophomore, you should be sure that you have an open mind and consider ALL of the sororities you meet during recruitment, and try that much harder to ignore the "tent talk" you may be hearing from the freshmen.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Regarding your minority status, I would imagine that if you didn't feel excluded in the non-Greek organizations and social life in general, you won't feel excluded during recruitment.

Good luck!
Old 06-01-2011, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with the others, it may or may not be a problem at your school. But certainly as you go through recruitment put the questions out of your mind so that you can put your best foot forward, and increase your chance of a bid, sophomore or not!