GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,720
1 members and 2,719 guests
Cookiez17

Old 01-31-2014, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Appeals Process?

Hi all,

I know this won't be a popular opinion, but I want to appeal a sorority decision.

Hear me out. So I am a junior and a new sorority is colonizing at my school. There were 2 info events and one 15 minute interview that was required to join. I went and signed in to both of the optional events. So if they checked attendance, I clearly showed my interest.

During my interview, I dressed in business casual (as they said to), brought a resume, and had an awful interview. The interviewer (from the sorority HQ) seemed to make a quick judgement of me and was disinterested in what I had to say about myself. During the interview she didn't even look at the resume I brought. All in all, she was very cold and slightly unprofessional, and I went out feeling weird about the experience.

When I found out I didn't get a bid I was not exactly surprised based on the interview experience but I was disappointed. My friends who didn't have the same interviewer all got bids. My question is, is there any hopes of appeal? Since I am a junior I feel this is my last chance at Greek life. Thanks for any info.

-Sad GDI
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-31-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy000 View Post
Hi all,

I know this won't be a popular opinion, but I want to appeal a sorority decision.

Hear me out. So I am a junior and a new sorority is colonizing at my school. There were 2 info events and one 15 minute interview that was required to join. I went and signed in to both of the optional events. So if they checked attendance, I clearly showed my interest.

During my interview, I dressed in business casual (as they said to), brought a resume, and had an awful interview. The interviewer (from the sorority HQ) seemed to make a quick judgement of me and was disinterested in what I had to say about myself. During the interview she didn't even look at the resume I brought. All in all, she was very cold and slightly unprofessional, and I went out feeling weird about the experience.

When I found out I didn't get a bid I was not exactly surprised based on the interview experience but I was disappointed. My friends who didn't have the same interviewer all got bids. My question is, is there any hopes of appeal? Since I am a junior I feel this is my last chance at Greek life. Thanks for any info.

-Sad GDI
I can only speak for my own sorority, but there is no appeal process for those who do not receive bids. Chapters are also not permitted to discuss with you why you did not receive one. I would imagine that the same holds true for other sororities.

I will say that I'm sorry you did not receive a bid. That's tough. Take some time to relax, cry, whatever helps you get through it.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Not everyone receives a bid to a colony. Colony recruitment =/= automatic bid. Showing up to something and signing in does not demonstrate interest. Also, the two info sessions and interview are part of the process. They are not requirements that if you automatically fulfill them, you are invited to pledge. The membership selection process is left up to the colonizing team. If you don't get a bid, there is no appeals process. Your only other option is to go through formal or informal recruitment next year on your campus.

Some things to consider when evaluating your experience: How are your grades? Are you involved on campus? Did you show enthusiasm and engagement in the interview? Did you connect with anyone from the colonizing sorority during the information sessions? How was your appearance? How was your attitude?
Old 01-31-2014, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I know that not everyone receives a bid. I'm saying I was a qualified candidate, and everyone I've spoken to is absolutely shocked I didn't get a bid.

I will only say that I did everything right except that interview. My GPA is above the average, I am extremely involved on campus + volunteering off campus, I connected with alumni who came to colonize. I took nothing for granted and I went through the entire process.

So the only thing that stands out to me as not great, was the interview. I just feel I was judged in the interview before being able to express who I am. I was one of the last interviews and it almost felt like she was tired of interviewing women.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
You can't 'appeal,' in the sense that you can have her decision overturned or something, but you might be able to try again in the future, or, if you are willing to eat some humble pie, contact someone in the group to thank them again for the opportunity and express your continued interest. It's possible that women have turned down bids or that space may otherwise become available, and they'd be willing to meet with you again.

Keep in mind that I know neither the campus or the organization you are talking about, and every situation is different. That said, if you REALLY think this is your last chance to be Greek, you have nothing to lose by sending along an email.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

DeltaBetaBaby,
That's exactly the steps I have taken so far. Emailed them not to complain, but just to ask if there will be any more bids given out if people don't accept. They have not responded yet, but I don't know if that's legal anyway? I don't know how new colonies are allowed to give out bids.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Ask if they will have open recruitment next semester.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I know that not everyone receives a bid. I'm saying I was a qualified candidate, and everyone I've spoken to is absolutely shocked I didn't get a bid.

I will only say that I did everything right except that interview. My GPA is above the average, I am extremely involved on campus + volunteering off campus, I connected with alumni who came to colonize. I took nothing for granted and I went through the entire process.

So the only thing that stands out to me as not great, was the interview. I just feel I was judged in the interview before being able to express who I am. I was one of the last interviews and it almost felt like she was tired of interviewing women.
First, I have to say that you may feel you were "qualified" but you don't even know what criteria the organization is looking for. You have no idea what kind of mix they were trying to create with the women that they chose to offer bids to.

I guarantee you that there were LOTS of qualified women who interviewed and not all of them received bids. Being qualified doesn't get you membership.

I am very sorry that it did not work out for you. You can't always get what you want.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

You wouldn't happen to be at the University of Pennsylvania, would you? The timing seems just a little coincidental for the ADPi recruitment occurring there now, but I may be mistaken.
Regards of where you are, colony recruitment is not a given. You may have been the most amazing girl with every credential under the sun, but a good chapter cannot be made of a hundred girls who are all Susan B. Anthony meets Mother Teresa--when my chapter was colonized, over 400 women interviewed and 200 girls received bids. I'm certain at least one of those 200(+) women rejected had a great resume but the team could not take everyone, and sometimes group cohesion/unconscious cues mean more than if someone looks good on paper.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that appealing the decision would be the very worst thing you could do. You don't know why you didn't get a bid, and probably never will, so you have no leg to which to stand for an appeal. Besides, you will be immediately labeled as "the chick who wanted to appeal".

Even though colonies will take upperclass women, they don't want too many. The national organization doesn't want to be recolonizing within another four years. Yes, they need juniors, but certainly not as many as freshmen or sophmores.

If you really want this sorority, do your best to become friends with some of the new colony members. When they have either formal or open recruitment, go for it. They may not have the same "problem" with you that the interviewer did. Or maybe they will. You'll never know, unless you try.

I actually know of one case when this was the exact scenario. The woman waited until formal recruitment, knew enough of the sisters, and got a bid. She ended up being on Homecoming Court, and the national office was fairly impressed with her tenacity.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
DeltaBetaBaby,
That's exactly the steps I have taken so far. Emailed them not to complain, but just to ask if there will be any more bids given out if people don't accept. They have not responded yet, but I don't know if that's legal anyway? I don't know how new colonies are allowed to give out bids.
This is not what DeltaBetaBaby suggested. She suggested that you send an email something like this:

Dear ABC sorority,

Congratulations on your new colony. I wanted to thank you for the opportunity to meet some of your (inter)national officers, learn more about the colonization process, and learn more about ABC sorority. I understand that in the next few weeks, some new members may discover that they are not able to continue their membership. If a new member should have to resign, I would love to be reconsidered for a spot in the colony. I wish ABC at Old State U the very best.

Sincerely,

Daisy000

Then, let it go. In this type of email you have been gracious and shown that you are still interested. That is all you can do.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:06 AM

^^^^aaack good grief no!!! That's basically like saying "I know you old bats probably made some huge mistakes with some of these idiots you took and they'll be jumping ship soon." Not only that, the laying in wait aspect is very unattractive. It's like the Seinfeld where Jerry and Elaine were waiting for the couple to break up so they could pursue them themselves.

Will people leave the colony? Of course. Might that open up an opportunity for you? Of course. But for the love of all that's holy, be discreet about it. Keep an ear to the ground and get to know the colonizing sisters- at this point, THEY are your route to a bid. If you tried to get in thru the national after they have all been chosen, it would be as honeychile says - you would be "that chick who appealed" and probably only grudgingly accepted as a member.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
I'm staying tuned for the sequel thread in 2 years when the OP doesn't get the job she wants.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Thinking that it is as important, if not more so, to learn how to handle and accept rejection, as well as success.

Thankful that when I didn't get picked for the cheerleading squad in 7th grade, I figured out quickly that (1) I probably should not be an 8th grade cheerleader and they knew what they were doing when they picked the squad because I did not look like any of the cheerleaders they picked even though I was qualified and everyone was upset that I didn't get picked (2) I was good at other things and I needed to be doing those instead (3) it was not the end of the world. Took that experience with me the rest of my life, and the payoff has been huge.

Sometimes you think that is your ship, but it's not. Let it sail on and see what's on the horizon.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 02-01-2014, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Thinking that it is as important, if not more so, to learn how to handle and accept rejection, as well as success.

Thankful that when I didn't get picked for the cheerleading squad in 7th grade, I figured out quickly that (1) I probably should not be an 8th grade cheerleader and they knew what they were doing when they picked the squad because I did not look like any of the cheerleaders they picked even though I was qualified and everyone was upset that I didn't get picked (2) I was good at other things and I needed to be doing those instead (3) it was not the end of the world. Took that experience with me the rest of my life, and the payoff has been huge.

Sometimes you think that is your ship, but it's not. Let it sail on and see what's on the horizon.
For some reason, when people like you and 33girl speak---it always impresses me and I think people should listen to the advice of both of you. This was said really well and it is good to find other avenues of spending your free time.