GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,321
1 members and 2,320 guests
naraht

Old 11-24-2014, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Elections Aftermath Frustrating Me

Recently, our Fraternity had elections for some of our higher ranking chairs. I ran for the position of our New Member Educator, and it was a position that I felt like with all my heart that I should belong in. It came time of the election, and there was only one guy I was up against. I was fully prepared with a list of my qualifications and what I would bring to the position, while my opponent was not.

When it came time to the discussion on the candidates (they sent us out of the room, but I learned what was discussed latter), I had massively positive critiques while my opponent had negatives. I had better time management, better availability to plan and lead the education process, better grades, better knowledge and understanding of the history of the Fraternity, better character towards the pledges, and an overall better platform to work off of. My opponent was the opposite of this by what was said in the discussion.

Yet, I lost.

In the past, when I see that my opponent was more qualified for the position, I have given them my full support. I give them all my notes, all my ideas, and I continue to act as if I was in the position, giving the Fraternity the full support it needed. However, this time around, it wasn't the case. I was more qualified than the other person, by what the Fraternity discussed, and the only reason that would explain why I lost is because the other guy is more popular in the Fraternity and Greek Life than I am. He's the sweetheart for a Sorority, and people drool at his name. It doesn't matter that he's screwed most of the positions he's been in, or that his grades aren't good, he's tight on availability, he doesn't know the history or meanings behind the Fraternity, and many other things alongside the necessary qualifications to be a good New Member Educator. To add onto what was stated in the opening of the paragraph, contributing to the position will not work. I have given my notes and support to this guy before, and he has chosen to disregard everything about it for one reason or another. In addition, he also tried to tear me up during the questions portion of my speech, so it's pretty clear what he thinks of me.

It makes me sick right now feeling like the reason I lost was because I was not popular enough. Right now, I just feel like all the hard work I put into the Fraternity was thrown into the trash for consideration of who could make them laugh more. I do own a house that the Fraternity frequently uses, especially for their education events, and the thought has been rolling around in my head of closing it off to them. I honestly don't know where to go from here. Input?
Old 11-24-2014, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

It is understandable that you are disappointed with and confused in regards to the election. Sometimes the best candidate doesn't win, and your suspicion that your opponent was elected, not on merit, but based on popularity is feasible.

As to whether or not you make your home available for fraternity functions, why don't you wait until after the beginning of winter semester to make that decision? Your feelings won't be so fresh and you will be able to see things more clearly.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
As to whether or not you make your home available for fraternity functions, why don't you wait until after the beginning of winter semester to make that decision? Your feelings won't be so fresh and you will be able to see things more clearly.
That does sound like a good idea. I have an internship, plenty of studying, and good times with friends to get my mind off of the elections over the winter. Perhaps it would be good to revisit this when the Spring Semester boots up, because right now I just feel hurt and cheated by what happened.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I lost the same position, which I was slated for, to the sister who was the current New Member Educator (she decided at the last minute that she wanted to continue on in the position). I was elected from the floor to another exec. position, but I was really disappointed because I had always wanted to be NME. I'm friends with her on FB and 30 years later, I'm still a touch resentful, because I don't think she knew how much I wanted that position! I can understand that it hurts now, but you sound like just the kind of person your fraternity really needs, and I bet you'd be a great advisor some day. People don't always appreciate the hard workers who get things done. Since my disappointment, I've served in many volunteer positions, including NME advisor to a chapter, so I guess I finally got my wish. Hang in there! Elections can definitely bring out these feelings...you aren't alone!
Old 11-24-2014, 10:14 PM

Welcome to life. It sucks sometimes. Qualified on paper doesn't always mean you get what you want or deserve.

Maybe your personality is such that they thought pledges wouldn't be able to relate to you and would drop. Quite frankly, you come off a bit supercilious in your post.

And if you want every single brother to say "phew, we definitely made the right decision" - practice sour grapes and close off your house. If there's a better definition of "sore loser" I would be hard pressed to find it.

Things happen for a reason. You never know what is coming along and it might be something great you couldn't take advantage of if you'd been saddled with this position.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
And if you want every single brother to say "phew, we definitely made the right decision" - practice sour grapes and close off your house. If there's a better definition of "sore loser" I would be hard pressed to find it.
Interestingly, there are a whole host of reasons you probably shouldn't host pledge activities at your house...but this is a bad one.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Interestingly, there are a whole host of reasons you probably shouldn't host pledge activities at your house...but this is a bad one.
I'm guessing he's at a school that doesn't have large (or official) fraternity houses or big pledge classes. We had meetings at my pledge mom's house a couple times. We weren't doing anything more than reading out of a pledge manual and taking quizzes, so I honestly fail to see the problem. It's a better and more private environment than a student center or classroom.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I've never been popular, and have experienced this same situation countless times. You can continue to let it frustrate you (which is ridiculously tempting) or you can move on and find a different way to contribute. Take on a Little, go out of your way to make the new members feel welcome, offer to help them study for their tests, etc. - without stepping on toes (which WILL make it worse).
Old 11-25-2014, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

I had a similar experience. I ended up dropping down and running for another office, where I killed it. There's no shame in losing an election. If there's a NME committee make sure you're on it and make sure you follow the lead of whoever has been elected. If this person drops the ball, QUIETLY pick up the pieces and make sure everything turns out okay. People will notice without you letting them know what happened.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-25-2014, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I'm guessing he's at a school that doesn't have large (or official) fraternity houses or big pledge classes. We had meetings at my pledge mom's house a couple times. We weren't doing anything more than reading out of a pledge manual and taking quizzes, so I honestly fail to see the problem. It's a better and more private environment than a student center or classroom.
You're right. I was thinking about housed chapters, and wondering just what they'd be doing off campus that they couldn't do in the house.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

We don't have Greek houses, but students can apply in groups to try and get a house owned by the college. This is how the Greek groups on campus try to get a house. I happen to have a house with a large basement, and this is why the Fraternity uses it for just about everything

I didn't like how some of the actives were jerks to me during the pledging process, so I made a promise to myself that I would never be mean to a pledge. I always told them where I was, I was always kind to them, and I did in fact help a number of them out on occasion with their homework and Fraternity lesson studying. This semester, I heard that the pledges held me in really high regard, especially my little brother, and that made me incredibly happy to learn of. Thus, I do not think they didn't pick me because my attitude wasn't in the right place.

Now that it has passed by more, it still hurts to think about what happened. What's in the past though is now in the past, and I can't change what has happened. I'll still continue to be nice to pledges and do everything I can to make sure they have a smooth education experience. Given that said, due to how popularity in most cases severely swayed the vote, I am now highly discouraged from giving it my all in my Fraternity, mainly because popularity would win out over hard work, good goals, and qualifications. I do know there are places where these things pay off, such as the professional business environment I'm going into, but my Fraternity is not one of those places at this moment.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Popularity is always going to play a role, even in the professional world sad to say. You need to ask yourself now though what is more important for you. Is it recognition, or is it that the fraternity succeeds?
Old 11-26-2014, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Popularity is always going to play a role, even in the professional world sad to say. You need to ask yourself now though what is more important for you. Is it recognition, or is it that the fraternity succeeds?
This.

If you're expecting to graduate college and magically escape popularity contests/favoritism, you're going to be in for a rude awakening. Reputation, social standarding, and relationships are ALWAYS going to matter. The standards for what counts will change (some), but most of the time, there's still going to be someone getting recognition for someone else's work, simply because of who they are. You can accept it and move on, or you can struggle with it your whole life.

And trust me, I'm looking in the mirror as I say this.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:07 PM

If anything, it gets WORSE in the professional world.

What was your main reason to be pledgemaster? To make an impact on the young men coming up after you in the fraternity? You can do that (it sounds like you have already done that) without holding that office, or any office. I know it's hard to see ahead right now, but trust me, you reap the rewards of loving and giving to your GLO years down the road.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthWindu View Post
This semester, I heard that the pledges held me in really high regard, especially my little brother, and that made me incredibly happy to learn of. Thus, I do not think they didn't pick me because my attitude wasn't in the right place.
I would like you to do EVERYTHING to show that you are worthy of being held in the high regard of this class. Do not give them a single reason to question or change their opinion of you. Show that YOU are the bigger man and keep a positive attitude about your fraternity. Your actions will change your attitude.