GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,334
1 members and 1,333 guests
acg233

Old 10-18-2008, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Questions for Newbie

Hey everyone.. this is my first year at SMU I transferred in as a sophomore. At my previous university I did not rush because it was not a big greek life but i am pretty sure I want to rush in January. I am thinking of either theta, Kappa Kappa Gamma, or DG.... can you guys give me some of your thoughts on the 3. Also I have no idea what the process is... how do you get started, find a sorority, get chosen to be in one and what do i need. I read somewhere about letters of rec... is that true? Also do i need to know someone in the sorority... thanks for the help... i am very confused!
Old 10-18-2008, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 10-18-2008, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

do you have any suggestions for me???
Old 10-18-2008, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=54403

Start there. It has stuff about rec letters. As for knowing someone... I'd say you wouldn't have to. I joined a sorority where I didn't know any one, instead of the two that I did. That was my campus.
Read the rest of the threads. There are certain threads near the top of the recruitment forum that are called stickies (like the link above) that will help answer all of your questions. Now as for your school. I have no idea what SMU is or where it is. Also, since it is your first year at your college, it is a better idea to not be set on any certain sorority. Each chapter is different on every campus. Chances are that other GCers are unfamiliar with your campus.

Last edited by WCsweet<3; 10-19-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

SMU is VERY competitive. The fact that you are already a sophomore probably doesn't help you.

By limiting your options, you are lessening your chances of getting in ANY sorority with an attitude like that.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, so all of the abbreviations for schools is confusing. Which SMU is this? In my part of the world, this could be St. Martin's University, though I've never heard it called that. Is this Southern Mississippi or what?
Old 10-18-2008, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe it's b/c I'm from Texas, but when I see "SMU" I think Southern Methodist University which has FR in Jan.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
Okay, so all of the abbreviations for schools is confusing. Which SMU is this? In my part of the world, this could be St. Martin's University, though I've never heard it called that. Is this Southern Mississippi or what?
Southern Methodist University...

otherwise known as...

Southern Millionaires University

which is pretty much inundated with Yankees, but whatever.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 10-19-2008, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

SMU is very competitive. Recs will be a must at that school even if they are not advertised as such.

You may not know anyone in the houses now, but you should be able to meet some sorority women by January through classes, clubs, and the dorm if you live in one.

Contact the Greek Life office for the answers to many of your questions that are specific to your university. They will be able to help you.

And as been said before, do not go into recruitment with your options limited to just a few houses.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, ditto on the competitiveness of SMU. Being a sophomore is going to be somewhat of a hindrance. Be sure you are able to explain during the semester, when you meet sorority girls, etc that you are a TRANSFER and why.

Also, DO NOT, DO NOT go around telling anyone what groups you are interested in. Be open and willing to consider them all. The groups you mentioned are going to be very limited on the number of sophs they take.

Are you from Texas? If so, get in contact ASAP with a local panhellenic alumnae group from your home area. If not from Texas, then it is still something you should do.

Like mentioned above, read all of the stickies at the top of the recruitment forums and some of the archived threads. Pay close attention to what is said about competitive southern schools - this pertains to you.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:27 PM

I'd caution you against getting set on any particular chapter, especially since you're a sophomore and a transfer (which puts you at a disadvantage at a school like SMU).

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, do not give out any more information about yourself on this forum. If actives at SMU read this board and figure out who you are, you may sabotage your chances of getting in any sorority. No one would want to extend a bid to a PNM who has already stated a preference for other houses. Just read all the threads as others have advised you to do, and lay low as far as posting goes. Use the search function also. You may find some helpful recruitment stories by doing that.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
I was asked IN MARCH to do a recommendation on a young lady at SMU. You need to line up recs - and fast.

You may be in for a rude awakening during formal recruitment if you limit yourself only to three groups. Give all of the groups an equal chance. You have to decide what is more important to you, being Greek or being "top tier." Frankly, 20 years from now, I think you'll find that the experience of being Greek, especially at a school like SMU, is far more valuable than joining only a "top tier" group. Give all the groups a chance and don't drop out if you don't get one of the three that you've prematurely decided on.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=54403

Start there. It has stuff about rec letters. As for knowing someone... I'd say you wouldn't have to. I joined a sorority where I didn't know any one, instead of the two that I did. That was my campus.
Read the rest of the threads. There are certain threads near the top of the recruitment forum that are called stickies (like the link above) that will help answer all of your questions. Now as for your school. I have no idea what SMU is or where it is. Also, since it is your first year at your college, it is a better idea to not be set on any certain sorority. Each chapter is different on every campus. Chances are that other GCers are unfamiliar with your campus.
Generally good advice, WCsweet<3. It is true that even at competitive schools, a PNM can get a bid somewhere without knowing anyone. However, specific to SMU, a transfer sophomore who doesn't know anyone is unlikely to get a bid to a top tier chapter. By most accounts, at least two of the ones the OP listed would qualify as top tier.

And there are GCers from SMU on this board. SMUAlphaChi posts occasionally. Maybe she'll pop by. I believe there may be a DG too?

My advice:
1. Meet sorority women in your classes, activities, through friends, and while out. If they don't know you, why would they fight for you?
2. Behave yourself while out. Don't do anything stupid.
3. Get recs.
4. Give each of the 8 chapters serious consideration. Then again, it's your loss if you want to only focus on the 3 you mentioned.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Get those recs, consider ALL of the chapters, and start talking to other women in your classes NOW: i.e. "I'm sorry, can you tell me what the professor just said about the next quiz?" (later) "Is this your major?" (later still) "Do you live on campus?"

...that last question in particular should get the ball rolling. Be friendly. It will help you.

Good luck!