GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,567
0 members and 1,567 guests
No Members online

Old 11-24-2003, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to opaldragon
Positive article about Greeks in the UNLV paper, the Rebel Yell

UNLV Greeks give back to community during holidays

By Henry Melton

With the Thanksgiving season rapidly approaching, many individuals take this time to think about how they can benefit others and make a difference in the lives of those who need help. However, while many may be thinking now in November, the Greek Student Organizations have been working hard since September.

Within the past six weeks, six fraternities and sororities have celebrated philanthropy by having events to raise money for their distinguished charities. Alpha Delta Pi did Jungle Days to benefit the Ronald McDonald House. Pi Kappa Alpha held the Pikeathalon to benefit Variety Children's Charity of Southern Nevada. Alpha Xi Delta did Xi Man to benefit Holly's Generation Hope, Phi Delta Theta had their Philanthropy event to benefit ALS Lou Gering's Disease. Zeta Beta Tau had the Bouncy House to benefit the Children's Miracle Network. Alpha Epsilon Pi sponsored Throw a Pie at a Pi Guy to benefit the Magen David Adom foundation. Most recently, Alpha Gamma Delta with Battle of the Gods to benefit the Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation.

"It's an amazing thing," says Mark Linn of Pi Kappa Alpha, "to see all the Greeks come together as one and give a little something back to the community."

Between the three fraternities and three sororities so far, a combined total of over $40,000 has been raised in food, clothing, time and monetary donations.

There are many issues with having so many philanthropy events occurring on a weekly basis, one of which being time constraints. "They're fun," says Rachael Dreckman of Alpha Xi Delta, "but are too time consuming with everyone doing them back to back."

Another issue is competition with other Greek Student Organizations for scheduling. Zeta Beta Tau's Bouncy House occurred the same week as Phi Delta Theta's Flantrophy. Along with competition, there is the issue that individual contests inside of the philanthropy, such as gathering heart pins for Pikeathalon or tiaras for Battle of the Gods, to determine a "winner", could ruin the integrity and purpose of the event.

Fortunately, most UNLV Greeks don't see things that way and are actually genuinely interested in helping their fellow man.

"I don't really see it as a competition," said Joe Hurzel, President of Zeta Beta Tau, "if we're all striving for a good cause."

http://www.ryunlv.com/news/566892.html?mkey=1037775

(sidenote: Mr. Melton is gentleman of Pi Kappa Alpha, and Alpha Xi Delta's Xi Man 2003. He's spiffy . )
Old 11-24-2003, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

They left off that Sigma Kappa has sold Lollipops to raise money for alzheimer's participated in the Memory Walk for Alzheimer's and will be holding a senior citizens prom, so the article wasn't completely correct.

another thing is he didn't comment on the BGLO contribution to philanthropy this year either.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree that the article wasn't complete in that it didn't cover all the philanthropies that all the organizations did (along with Sigma Kappa's philanthropy the article failed to mention Sigma Alpha Mu's Bounce for Beats contributing to the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation at the beginning of the semester), but it's positive press for Greeks at UNLV in the Rebel Yell. That doesn't happen very often. I wouldn't say the Rebel Yell is anti-Greek but it certainly isn't pro-Greek. So yes, it sucks that some philanthropic efforts were missed, but yay for positive press.
I wouldn't blame Mr. Melton for not getting everyone's information as some GLOs are difficult to get ahold of to get an official comment for the paper. My feeling is, yet again, yay for positive press.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I wasn't knocking the positive press, because you're right the Yell isn't always very positive just trying to mention the groups that weren't mentioned. Which I have to because one of them is mine.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I understand. Were I in your shoes, I would've done the same.