GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,136
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PoodleDeNovo24
» Online Users: 1,001
3 members and 998 guests
flamboyanttree, MethrenLusia

Old 01-01-2012, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

My Retro 80's "Planetary" Rush Story

Since I have always enjoyed reading the recruitment threads, I decided to share my retro thread. I went to a large university in the south that had a semi-competitive recruitment back in the day. My family was not greek so I didn’t really know anything about sororities until I arrived on campus. I thought about going thru rush as we called it when I was a sophomore, but didn’t do it (a decision I later regretted). I went through my junior year in the Fall of 1988 – back then juniors were not ‘free’ like they are now and many chapters would not take juniors at all. While it has been more than 20 years, I still remember most of the details of my rush experience as I have a very detailed memory.

There were 9 chapters on campus when I rushed and my code names are as follows:

Mercury
Venus
Earth
Mars
Jupiter
Saturn
Uranus
Neptune
Pluto

I had some recent alum friends in Saturn and I thought they were so cool and that was the group I had in my head that I wanted to be when I began rush. I also had an alum friend through my part time campus job who was an advisor to Mars. They had colonized the year before, and this was going to be their first formal rush. I had also made some really good friends in Jupiter through my campus job. The only bad things were that one of them was a senior, one was a rho chi, and the other was the Panhellenic officer in charge of rush that year. So three Jupiters that knew me well were either recent alum or were disaffiliated.

So I was so excited about rush and finally the first day arrived – Open House was the day we visited all 9 sororities. It was August, very hot, and we had to walk around the men’s fraternity quad as the parties were held in their on campus lounges. I had this hot pink sundress and wore casual white low heel shoes. It was a very dressy sundress and I did not wear hose but that was the only day I didn’t!

The chapters I visited in order were:

Pluto – This chapter had a party reputation at that time and I knew one girl in the chapter from a class. She was nice enough, but going into the party I did not see myself as a Pluto. However, the girl I talked to was really super and I liked her a ton. We had a great time chatting and I remember her name was Alli. She totally changed my impression of Pluto and I was pleasantly surprised that I had a good time.

Mercury was the next chapter. I did not like this chapter at all. They did not have a good reputation, were the smallest chapter, and the conversations here were really awkward and these girls were just trying too hard. They always had posters in our dorms for rush parties every semester and I had mentioned this to one of my alum friends and she explained why they were always recruiting.

Earth was the next chapter. I only knew that my first cousin’s second cousin on the other side of her family had been an Earth and quit. Her advice was to be careful they were backstabbers and did not respect that she had to study for her major. When I went to this chapter and got all the ‘usual’ questions (major, year, where do you live, etc.), I told her I was a junior. I will never forget the look on this girls face – she looked at me like I had a disease. So once that happened, that party was over for me as she made me feel very uncomfortable.

Neptune was next. I knew nothing at all about this chapter except that they were also smaller and recruited every semester. These girls were really nice. I had a good time here and enjoyed talking to them. I was surprised to learn they had only been on campus for 3 years at that point. One of my friends I was rushing with (who totally wanted to be a Jupiter at the beginning of rush) pledged Neptune.

Uranus was next. My next door neighbor in my dorm the prior year had pledged Uranus. We also had a class together. She was very nice and l liked her, but I didn’t know anything really about Uranus except that the members either were very preppy or sort of granola (one girl on my hall who was a Uranus never wore shoes). Seemed like there was not a lot of in between. The girl that rushed me was a varsity cheerleader, so she was the peppiest of them all when she did the door cheer. I also briefly saw my prior year dorm neighbor. Nothing really stood out to me about this group except that they looked at me oddly for being an upperclassman.

Venus was the next party. One of my high school friends had pledged Venus. They had a reputation for being sort of the beauty queen sorority and going in I did not think I would fit in here. However, I talked to three or four girls and they were very laid back and I had a good time at this party.

Saturn was next and I was really excited since this was a group I had 3 rec’s for. I knew three recent alums and I thought everything about Saturn was really cool. So I went into the party with high expectations and smiled my best. The girl that picked me up at the door had this big teased hair and she was really flaky. She drug me around that party physically – grabbed my arm and pulled me around. I wanted to say – ‘stop yanking on my arm’, but I just tried to go with the flow and be courteous, smile, and answer questions while being polite and see if I could keep from being yanked around anymore. To the girl’s credit, I told her I was really excited to be there and she kept saying something like ‘Oh, let me introduce you to so and so I want to be sure you get to meet more girls’. I did appreciate the thought even though I didn’t like being pulled around.

Mars was the next to last party of the day and I was happy to go there since I had that alum friend that was working directly with the chapter. I don’t remember who I met that day, but I do remember they were wearing dresses in three different colors – their two colors and white. Was really glad to go to Mars – they were great!

So as luck would have it, my very last party of a hot late August day was Jupiter – the chapter I wanted to go to the most. The girl that rushed me was named Alice and I told her I knew my two friends from work who were not affiliated that year. It freaked her out a little bit, but I told her I worked with them. My cousin had also told me about one of her friends from her hometown that was a Jupiter. Many girls from this town went Earth but my cousin’s friend went Jupiter. We ended up finding her during the party and I was so happy to have sort of a connection. Turns out that on this day there were two other Jupiters I knew! There were two girls I had met my freshman year and I knew that one of them was in a sorority, but didn’t know which one – one had pledged as a sophomore but remembered me from our freshman class. The other girl was a senior and I used to work part time where her dad worked. So there were two more Jupiters that I already knew and that made me feel great!

So that was the end of Open House. In those days, we did not rank the chapters or fill out any paperwork at the end of the day. The next day, we had to meet with our Rho Chi group and see who invited us back for Round 1 parties.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

So the next day I went to meet with my Rho Chi group – for Round 1 we could attend up to 7 parties.

My invitations were from:

Pluto
Mercury
Neptune
Venus
Mars
Jupiter

I was disappointed that I only had 6 invitations for Round 1, but my rho chi was great and said that many groups don’t take juniors but not to worry to keep an open mind and have a good time at the parties. The great news was that I was going back to Jupiter and Mars and was very happy that I was going back to Venus and Pluto. I was interested in learning more about Neptune, but I knew that I did not want to be a Mercury. I think my biggest disappointment was not getting an invitation back to Saturn. However, I remembered my experience the day before and also that there were other groups I was really excited about potentially joining. Plus, I was really excited to go back and see Pluto and Venus as going into rush I did not expect that I would be a fit with either of those groups.

I don’t remember the order of these parties with the exception of the first two. Since we didn’t have houses and the rush parties were held in campus rooms they had to spread the Round 1 and Round 2 parties over two days. The first day of Round 1, I wore a dressy red dress with hose and back heels.

At that time, there were skits at both Round 1 and Round 2 so I was interested to see what they were all about. My first party was Pluto and I wasn’t really sure what to expect in terms of conversation. The party was ok, but the skit reinforced the negative stereotype I had about Pluto and so I was disappointed after having met a great girl the day before. During the conversation, we began talking about classes and there was a Pluto who had the same weirdo teacher that I did for Government. While talking about this kooky guy and what he did during class one day, I knocked my drink out of my hand and spilled coke all over myself. How embarrassing. I was mortified. Needless to say, I was not going to be surprised if I didn’t get invited back to Pluto.

After that party was over, I had a break which was good since my dress needed to dry off. I was ready to drop out after one party that day. I think the only thing that kept me from going and finding my rho chi to drop out was that I had Jupiter next and Jupiter was the group I was super excited about going to. I also knew I needed to press on and not drop out because I had one bad party. So I went to Jupiter and had the best time EVER! The theme was a 50’s/60’s party and the girls wore letter sweaters with the Jupiter letters on them. They had skirts and had their hair pulled up and wore keds shoes. It was really cute and their skit was a lot of fun. I told the girl rushing me after the skit that I enjoyed it so much I was ready to get up and start dancing myself! I didn’t realize it at the time, but telling them how happy I was to be there and how much I enjoyed their skit was a really good thing. It was honest, but I later learned how important it was to convey those things. So I left there with even more conviction that Jupiter was a leading group that I wanted.

I remember the Venus Round 1 party as well. The girls wore ballroom dresses in pretty pastel colors and the skit was a play on Cinderella with the fairy godmother granting the wish that the rushee could be a Venus too. The girl that rushed me was so pretty and polished and my high school friend also stopped by to say hello which I really appreciated. I didn’t know that I was really the ‘Venus type’, but had a good time at their party and enjoyed meeting more girls there.

I don’t remember the details about the Mars party except that I met a great girl, Stacy, and learned that the chapter president for Mars, Leigh, was a girl that I knew from Elementary school and her mother taught school with my mother. There was also another Mars that I had been to second and third grade with before my family moved. Nancy had mismatched the year before (back before you were guaranteed a bid if you got invited to Pref) and had become a charter member of Mars. So I still had Jupiter as my number 1, but Mars was right behind as I had some built in connections and had also met other great girls I really liked.

I did go to Neptune and I met super girls and could certainly see myself there. However, I wasn’t ‘in love’ with this group like I was Jupiter and Mars.

I went to Mercury as well to finish Round 1. I did not like any of the girls I talked to and their skit was not on par with any of the other groups I visited. They seemed to be off on their own path which was fine, but when you are comparing to other groups you have to compete and they were not competing with similar skits/dress etc.

So after Round 1 was over on Wednesday, we started class on Thursday and had no rush. Round 2 would be over 2 days (Friday/Saturday), so I had to wait until Friday to get my invitations back for Round 2.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

So the next day I went to meet with my Rho Chi group – for Round 2 we could attend up to 4 parties.

My invitations were from:

Mercury
Neptune
Mars
Jupiter

The first names I looked for were Jupiter and Mars and I was ecstatic to see them both on my invitation list!! I was not surprised to have no invitation to Pluto after spilling my drink on myself at the party. But I sort of hoped to be invited back to Venus again and was a little bummed not to have one. However, after I talked to my boyfriend at the time he asked if I really thought that was a group I could see myself in and the honest answer was not really. While the Round 2 parties were also over 2 days, I had 3 parties on Friday and only 1 on Saturday.

I had Neptune, Mars, and Jupiter on Friday and Mercury on Saturday. I wore a blue silk dress with black heels for my Round 2 parties. Before my parities began on Friday, I asked my Rho Chi what to do if I really wanted a bid from one certain group – I really wanted Jupiter and asked her what to do. She told me to make sure I complimented their party, skit, and asked about getting involved in the chapter.

I remember the Jupiter party in detail – it was so pretty and it was a New Year’s Eve themed party with a countdown to bid day. I did exactly what my Rho Chi said to do and was as sincere as I could be because I really wanted Jupiter.

I also had a good time at Mars and could totally see myself there. These girls were down to earth and I just had a good time there. They were still a strong #2, but they were #2 as I didn’t think anything could beat Jupiter.

I had a good time at the Neptune party – again I liked these girls and I knew I could be happy there but I wasn’t in love with this group like Jupiter and Mars.

The worst part about Round 2 was that I had only 1 party on Saturday and had to get all dressed up to go to my least favorite chapter. I actually met a girl I liked a lot at Mercury and their skit was much better in terms of how they presented their chapter. It was a Broadway type skit and was very classy and really showcased the talents of the chapter girls. However, it could not change my impression and this was not a group I saw myself in.

So again, no ranking or paperwork after parties and I had to wait for my Rho Chi meeting on Sunday afternoon to find out who invited me for Pref.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

waiting with bated breath for the conclusion. things seem to have gone well for you and i love the detail(also impressed that you can remember the detail-i sure can't).
Old 01-02-2012, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
My money (guess) is on Mars.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

So it was finally Sunday and I went to go meet with my Rho Chi group. While we were waiting for our Rho Chi to hand everything out, my boyfriend who had walked with me over to meet my group showed up and sat across from where we were sitting. I couldn’t figure out why. Later on he told me that he was downstairs in the university building where other groups were meeting and girls were crying all over. He was making sure I was ok as he was worried I would be upset with my invitations.

So my Rho Chi finally handed everything out to us and my invitations to Preference were from:

Mercury
Neptune
Mars
Jupiter

So this was an easy decision to make – I knew exactly where I wanted to go for Pref – Jupiter and Mars!! Needless to say I was absolutely thrilled. I was so close to being a Jupiter I could taste it!! So after filling out my bubble sheet as to where I wanted to go, I left to go get ready for Pref. I had been in a wedding earlier that year and I had a semi-formal type of satin dress to wear that nite.

When I arrived to get my schedule, it had my party schedule as Jupiter for Party 1 and Mars for Party 2. Uh oh, I was not happy that I would have the Mars party second. I wasn’t sure what I would experience at the Pref parties, but I wanted Jupiter fresh in my mind before signing my pref card. Our first party was also delayed significantly as there was a horrible tropical system moving through the area and the weather was so bad they were worried about putting 600 women on buses and leaving campus. Since we didn’t have houses, Pref parties were held in off campus locations within 10 miles and we had to ride the bus to Pref.

I have no idea what time we actually got on the bus to go to the first party, but it was just pouring and my shoes and the bottom part of my dress was wet. Oh well, everyone was pretty wet! So I went to the Jupiter party and my rusher was Alice that I had met the first day! I was so happy to see her again, we had clicked right away that first day and she was my heart sister. While we were chatting I told her how exited I was to be there and nervous all at the same time. She told me not to worry as she was sure things would be fine. Then she looked a little worried as she realized she probably shouldn’t have said that. They had us all in one room to hear the Pref ceremony at the end. It was nice, but it wasn’t especially moving and I left a little disappointed and worried again since I had Mars second and I had been so into Jupiter all week I wasn’t sure what would happen.

So back to campus to wait for another bus and go out in the rain again to Mars was next.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I am rooting for Mars....
Old 01-02-2012, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
:::singing::::

Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like
On a, Jupiter and Mars...
Old 01-02-2012, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

So I got on the Mars bus for Party 2. When I walked in it was beautiful. The girls were wearing formal dresses in a bright lovely color. Of course, this was back in the day when everyone wore the same dress as you could mandate that uniform costuming. The Jupiters had been wearing all black – it was very formal and nice, but this bright lovely color was warm and inviting.

The girl that got me was Stacy that I had met earlier in the week and I was so happy to see her. We had really clicked and it was great to see her again. She told me she had to fight to pref me as Leigh the chapter president also wanted to pref me. Of course that would have made it hard since she conducted their ceremony! So we had our food and I chatted with Stacy. It was great. For the ceremony, they brought us all into one room where the rushees were seated in chairs in a semi-circle facing the front of the room. Our heart sister stood behind us. I don’t remember what was said, but at some point, our heart sister gave us the flower they were holding (the sorority flower) for us to hold. It had this small card attached to the stem and on the card was attached a very small pillow and pinned to the pillow was their pledge pin. I thought that was the coolest thing! Wow – we got a pin to wear as a pledge?! Cool. Would I get that at Jupiter too if I went Jupiter? What a moving ceremony. Then they gave us all a piece of their dream cake. We could have one bite and then we had this satin pouch to put the rest of the piece of cake into. We then had to put it under this pillow and they hoped our dream was the same as theirs.

I left there so turned around and mixed up. Mars had this amazing moving ceremony. I had been a Jupiter girl all summer, all week. I really liked Mars, and their pref was the best no doubt. It was the best party, my second party, and now I was all confused for the silent bus ride back to campus.

The worst part was getting back to campus and waiting for everyone to get back and be in the huge ballroom so that we could all sign our Pref cards together. As I sat there waiting for all of the girls to come back and be given a card to sign, I thought about what to do. For the first time all week I had a real decision to make and it was the most important one. Most all of my choices had been made for me as the only groups I dropped were in making my Pref decisions. But here I was, thinking what to do, what to put first Jupiter or Mars. Instead of thinking which one I wanted the most, I thought about which one I would be most disappointed to not get. If I put Jupiter first and didn’t get them, would that be worse than putting Mars first and not getting them? The other thing I also considered was that I had been wanting Jupiter all week and I didn't need to be swayed by just one party.

When I thought about who I would be most disappointed to not see on bid day and how I had been leaning all week, I knew when I got my card what I wanted to do. I got the Pref card and filled in the bubble next to Jupiter for First Preference and Mars for Second Preference.

I turned in my card, and we all went back to the dorm. It was really late, and my suitemate and two girls down the hall joined me and my roommate in our room for pizza. What was funny is my suitemate and I had both preffed Jupiter and Mars and had both put Jupiter first. The two girls down the hall had preffed Venus and Earth and had both put Venus first. It was 11:30 or so before the pizza arrived and we had the best time chilling out and relaxing after a hectic week.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

oh my gosh....i feel so silly. i know that you are a kappa, but i am on the edge of my seat to read the ending!
Old 01-02-2012, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

So bid day finally arrived and we had to wait until late in the afternoon to get our bids. Waiting until 4:30 or 5 was so hard to do. My suitemate and I decided we’d walk over together to the university union where we were to pick up our bids. On the way over, girls were talking about how they were so glad they didn’t get a call from their Rho Chi and knew for sure they had a bid. I wasn’t even remotely thinking about a mismatch. I had not received a call, but I didn’t even think about it.

As we walk over, we pass the women’s quad where all of the sororities have gathered to wait for the pledges to run over. I hear the Jupiter’s singing, that’s when it hits me – I really want Jupiter so badly now. I had no doubts before, but now I tell my suitemate that if I don’t get Jupiter I’m going to just die. This is the moment I am so dying to see Jupiter on that bid card!

So we go into the large ballroom and all of the Rho Chi’s are standing on chairs and waiting for us to find them. I am searching and searching and can’t find mine. My suitemate has already found her Rho Chi and has seen her bid – she wants to tell me but I ask her to wait until I find my Rho Chi.

During the week, we all had to guess what our Rho Chi was. Mine was so laid back and unpretentious I guessed Jupiter and I was hoping that she was a Jupiter for obvious reasons! So here I am looking and looking and can’t find her – when I do find her she is wearing a Venus jersey! While I was so surprised, she sees me and says with a huge smile on her face “Martha, you are going to be so happy!”. She was so excited for me and knew just what I wanted!

So I get my card and rip open the envelope and inside it says that I got:

JUPITER!!!

Also known as Kappa Kappa Gamma!!!!!!!

My suitemate then tells me she is a Kappa pledge too!! So we both go over to the quad together and join the Kappas for bid day!! While I’m on the quad celebrating, I see my friend Stacy with the Mars girls (also known as Alpha Chi Omega) and felt kind of bad. I did feel a small twang of regret because I did like the girls I met there. However, I knew I had made the best decision for me and I never looked back. I also saw the other girls on my hall during Bid Day on the quad and both are Earth's and are new pledge sisters.

The next day I got a call from my AChiO alum friend and she said she and Stacy and Leigh were wondering where I went. She was happy for me and I told her how much I did like AChiO, but in the end I needed to go where my heart was. I would have been happy of course if I was an AChiO without a doubt if that’s how it worked out.

The first week after pledging my heart sister decorated my dorm room door. I was the first one with a decorated door on my hall. I also got a lovely card and decorated cup with Kappa stuff from my Rho Chi. She said she knew I was disappointed she was not a Kappa, but she encouraged me to make Kappa the very best. Kris was a great Rho Chi – I was so lucky! I knew if I had tried to drop out after the spilled drink on myself she would have encouraged me to stay in. I have given the advice she gave me during rush to other girls who have gone through. What questions to ask, how to show enthusiasm for the chapter, what to say during the party to let the members know you are interested.

So my rush story had a very happy ending and I have been so happy that I am a Kappa Kappa Gamma ever since!
Old 01-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

hooray!!! i loved it!
Old 01-02-2012, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
hooray!!! i loved it!
So glad! It was fun to write it all down and think about my rush experience again!!!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

great story
Old 01-03-2012, 05:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Nice story and it is funny that I was also kind of holding my breath waiting for the happy ending which we all knew was there. Duh.