GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,464
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, zmaondarko7769
» Online Users: 2,480
2 members and 2,478 guests
FSUZeta, MSKKG

Old 08-31-2011, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Sophomore Rush Questions!

Hello ladies! I am a sophomore at a school in DC, and I am thinking about rushing this fall. I have a few questions as I have not been able to find any info on my that is relevant to me. My school has quite a few chapters and the minimum GPA to rush is 2.3. I have looked at each chapters website and none say what the minimum gpa is to pledge, only to rush. I currently have a 2.48 gpa, which I know is not ideal, but my second semester freshman year improved greatly from my first semester. I also am involved in two student organizations.

I tried calling the Greek Life office to see if they maybe could tell me some more information but unfortunately have not been able to talk to anyone directly. So I am going here first, then maybe I can actually contact someone in the Greek Life office.

Should I even go through with recruitment? I would honestly love to pledge any of them and I have a completely open mind about which chapter I would join, I trust the system. I know there are many threads like this on here but my school isn't as competitive but is growing so any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by fire2therain; 08-31-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-31-2011, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

You'll know the first day. Groups generally do their scholarship releases the first day. Your Greek Life office can tell you more.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Each chapter will likely have its own GPA which may be higher than what is listed by the Greek Life office (that GPA is typically the minimum GPA acceptable for recruitment).

Be prepared to be released from many chapters; that is NOT an impressive GPA for a sophomore. Your first semester GPA was low (from what you've written) and perhaps you can explain that if your second semester GPA was significantly higher. I'm talking about second semester being well above a 3.0. However, you might not make it past the first round of parties at many chapters, simply because you are competing with so many other women with much higher GPAs.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-31-2011, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I know that I will get dropped from most of the chapters, and I do know that my GPA isn't impressive for a sophomore. I guess I am just nervous and anxious as I'm not sure if I want to rush if I'm just going to ultimately get dropped from each chapter based on my gpa alone. But I will definitely reach out to greek life again. Hopefully I figure something out! I still have over 3 weeks to decide.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Your school isn't competitive in the sense that there's a strong idea of "right" and "wrong" chapters to join, and I don't believe sophomores are at much of a disadvantage, but it is competitive in the sense that your school attracts very bright, accomplished students, so your GPA may be a serious detriment. If you are willing to pay the fee for recruitment and you are emotionally prepared to be released from all chapters, give it a try. At least you'll know it's not personal.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire2therain View Post
I know that I will get dropped from most of the chapters, and I do know that my GPA isn't impressive for a sophomore. I guess I am just nervous and anxious as I'm not sure if I want to rush if I'm just going to ultimately get dropped from each chapter based on my gpa alone. But I will definitely reach out to greek life again. Hopefully I figure something out! I still have over 3 weeks to decide.

I was asking the SAME question just a little over a month ago. I didn't consider my GPA stellar, and I'm sure it was part of the reason why I was cut from some chapters during recruitment (in fact I know it was certainly the reason for one house, but thats besides the point). In the end I received a bid from the #1 house in grades. If they want you, they'll take you no matter what you look like on paper. Houses know what they want. Thats the only way I can explain what I saw happen during recruitment at my school. Some girls with great recs or high GPAs were cut, others received bids. Its confusing, but go through recruitment. At the very least its a memorable experience. There is nothing else like it.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I advise at your school. With your GPA, you should prepare for heavy cuts -- but the only GPA requirements I know for certain are my own group's. It's possible that you're above the cutoff for some chapters. I would tell you to go through recruitment, but only if it won't personally devastate you if you're released by all of the chapters.