GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,143
4 members and 2,139 guests
KSigkid, oncegreek, Xidelt, Zae_TheCreator

Old 08-03-2021, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolene View Post
I miss the days of professors not trying to tell me how to think and let me figure out things on my own. Now, neutral, moderate, or slightly conservative opinions are not allowed. My bro in law did get punished when at uni for a paper he wrote that the professor didn't like due to point of view. He took it to the department and won.
Bad on the prof for punishing disagreeing viewpoints, but profs should be allowed to challenge opinions and make students think through their positions on things.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-09-2021, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the much bigger issue is that people are much less accepting of other opinions, much less willing to listen, learn, grow and accept. I work at a very liberal urban institution of higher education. I won't lie, the faculty isn't as tolerant as they like to think - and that stems beyond our local and national politics, it's become an issue with our international students as well.

IMO, people create echo chambers for themselves. Then when they encounter differing opinions it's a shock to the system and must be "wrong."

But this idea of "surveying" is horseshit. So many issues with it. And I don't like that we're becoming this "monitor and tell on!" society at the expense of privacy, intellectual freedom, etc. Let's call a spade a spade. Whether it's a tip website, a survey, or whatever, it's a form of social surveillance, whether we are comfortable with the idea that it exists in America or not.