GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Zeta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,568
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, Weaponxcq
» Online Users: 2,231
0 members and 2,231 guests
No Members online

Old 08-05-2001, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Inactive anyone???

Ok ladies, I have a dilemma. I have been a sister for 3 years. And have loved every minute of it, until the last 8 months. At the rate my chapter is going, we will be the worst on campus, and we have a tradition of being the best. No offense to anyone, but e-board is run by newly initiated sisters. Non executive board members are treated like crap (especially the older ones) and I think it is safe to say 80% of our chapter wants to disaffiliate. I don't think that I should have to, I don't want to. Does anyone know of a way that I can go temp. alum. or am I stuck???? Please help!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-07-2001, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

That's sad to hear about your chapter. I always thought you needed to be a member for at least a year to be on e-board? You know, so the sister would know how things run. Have you every thought about talking to sisterhood and plan a sisterhood event. Sometimes when our girls are having bad times sisterhood events bring us together in the end. You should try that if you can. Our house has a huge sisterhood event before school starts and makes us stronger as a whole. That's the only advice I can give you. Good luck and let me know how things work out.

Old 08-07-2001, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks ladies for your ideas. The funny thing is, both sisterhood events and weekend retreats happen every semester. We do the brainstorming session and everything. It just doesn't work. Our campus is not a greek campus, it's not a anything campus. We have the lovely status of being a commuter campus. But I did talk to my CCD today. And she told me that they are completely going to work around my job. Which was the root of my problem. Since I am working a real "career" type job and not a waitress at bar, they will work around. Thanks again ladies. By the way, this message board thing is great!
Old 08-08-2001, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Goofydz,

Sorry to hear that your chapter is going through a rough time right now. Going alumna isn't the answer, though. Being a Delta Zeta means sticking with your sisters through good times and bad. To have a strong sisterhood, everyone has to make a serious effort to work together. Running away from the chapter will only weaken it. Instead, why don't you and your sisters plan a weekend retreat? While you're there, have a brainstorming session about what is good about your current chapter and what needs to be changed. Most importantly, make it a rule at the session that no one is allowed to complain about the problems unless they do two things: 1) say something positive about the chapter first - something specific, not just "I really like Suzie." and 2) offer a solution to the problem the person is complaining about. That way, the whole brainstorming event won't become a negative thing and you can return to school with a lot of ideas on how to fix your internal problems. Also, take a stuffed turtle with you and make a rule that only the person holding the turtle is allowed to speak. That will prevent people from talking out of turn.

During the retreat, play some bonding games with your sisters. One of my favorites is to take white paper plates and fasten a piece of string to each plate so that the sisters can wear the plate as a necklace around their necks. (The plates go on their backs so that they don't know what is being written until the end of the activity.) Give everyone crayons and instruct them to write one thing that they like/admire about each sister on her plate. When every plate has a comment from every sister, get in a circle, pass your plate to the person on your left, and then go around the circle reading your neighbor's plate out loud. This is an activity that brought huge smiles to my pledge sisters' faces while we were on our retreat. And, from reading the plates aloud, we were able to learn some things about our sisters that we may not have known.

I hope this helps you out a little. I know that some years in DZ are better than others. I experienced extreme highs and lows during my time as a collegiate, so I can certainly sympathize. But please don't go temporary alumna. Don't give up on your sisterhood - those girls need you and your strength INSIDE the collegiate chapter, not outside.
Old 08-14-2001, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Please let me know how everything goes with your sisterhood retreat if you do have one