GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Delta Pi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,511
0 members and 1,511 guests
No Members online

Old 07-19-2007, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Letters of recommendation

I've been asked by the Panhellenic Alumnae group here to write a letter of recommendation for a young lady attending TCU in the fall. I have never done this, as thing are much more informal here.

Any ideas where to start or a certain format? I printed out the form from EO but it's so small and doesn't really include much space.

Thanks!

Join our pride!
Northern Colorado Alumnae Association - newly chartered!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-20-2007, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I usually type the form (so I can make the comments as long or short as I'd like) then print it, sign it, ship it off, and wait to see how recruitment goes!
Old 07-20-2007, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

You can open the form and fill it out in Word and it will end up going for a few pages. But you can make it as long as you would like.

You can start by entering as much of the PNM's information as you have been given. You may need to contact the PNM to get additional information in order to fill out all of the required fields. But you should have been provided with some kind of resume or fact sheet about her.

I think some people get tripped up by the "Asset to Chapter" section. Just look over her stats. Do you think, based on this she would be a potential chapter officer, a team player or someone who might bring prestige through her involvement in the theatre program, cheerleading squad or outside community achievements? List out your thoughts.

Fill it out, sign it, and send it to the chatper at TCU. Thanks for helping with recruitment by recommending a potential sister to ADPi!
Old 07-20-2007, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for your replies, ladies!

I did the form in Word but also wrote a short letter to attach to things.

Join our pride!
Northern Colorado Alumnae Association - newly chartered!
Old 07-20-2007, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FirstAndFinest
What do you think of sending a picture of a PNM? Is that good or bad?
Old 07-20-2007, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Please, please, please send pictures! Many campuses we do Rec reviews during Spirit Week with a pnm's resume and picture. It helps to get to know them before they even walk through the door on day 1.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

I usually ask for a natural photo (not one of those glamour shots!), and a full length one, if it's an SEC school.

When you think of how many women are going through R, and how little time the chapter gets to spend with each one, ANY help in the rec and/or photo department that helps her stand out is a step in the right direction!
Old 07-20-2007, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I usually send a photo and a letter with my Potential New Member Profiles. The letter highlights different things about the PNM-- where she is from, major, and her strengths and how those might translate into leadership or sisterhood traits as a member of a sorority.

I think the photos help a lot-- there are so many ladies who come through that it's nice, when possible, to be able to put a face to the name when you meet a PNM. It can be very intimidating when there are 100 strangers in your chapter house for a recruitment event... I know the PNMs are nervous, but so are we!
Old 07-26-2007, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I fill out the form from EO, but also put in a personal note from me. I don't always have pictures, but I like it when I do. I am not writing any personal letters this year, only ones from our local Panhellenic.