GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,419
2 members and 1,417 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 06-05-2007, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

AOE2AlphaPhi's Retro Recruitment Thread

I'm going to join the trend of the retro recruitment threads as soon as the current ones are finished, but I have time now, so I thought I'd give you my introduction. I went through formal recruitment in Winter 2007 as a Freshman. I go to the University of Puget Sound and we have defered rush, so I had a lot of preconcieved ideas about the chapters when I started, and they affected me more than they should have during the process. UPS has four sororities:

Alpha Phi
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Pi Beta Phi

but I'll be calling them by the names of handbag designers, because I just started a job selling handbags and I need to work on remembering designer's names, so in no particular order, I'll call them

Kate Spade
Cole Haan
Francesco Biasa
Chloe.

Recruitment at UPS is 4 days. The first and second days we go to all the chapters. The third day, we go to three and the final day is preference. The next day is bid day.

I still have my journal, as it was only a few months ago and I'm excited to share my story with you all!

I believe in friendships formed at the spring time of my youth...

Phi Alpha Delta
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-05-2007, 07:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Yay! A Syracuse Triad story!
Old 06-05-2007, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
I am excited about this one for a silly reason! In High School, I got tons of mail from this school soliciting me to go there but in a million years, I would not have gone 3,000 miles away of college (first generation college student). I later visited friends at Washington St in Pullman (Sig Kap and AGD!) and saw that the state of Washington (UPS, WSU or U Dub) would have been a great place for this girl from "Lawn-Gisland" to go to school. I went to Hofstra instead (and lived there even thought it was only 20 miles from my house).

So, I await your story!
Old 06-05-2007, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

hooray. can't wait to read your recruitment story!!
Old 06-05-2007, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOE2AlphaPhi View Post
I'm going to join the trend of the retro recruitment threads as soon as the current ones are finished, but I have time now, so I thought I'd give you my introduction. I went through formal recruitment in Winter 2007 as a Freshman. I go to the University of Puget Sound and we have defered rush, so I had a lot of preconcieved ideas about the chapters when I started, and they affected me more than they should have during the process. UPS has four sororities:

Alpha Phi
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Pi Beta Phi

but I'll be calling them by the names of handbag designers, because I just started a job selling handbags and I need to work on remembering designer's names, so in no particular order, I'll call them

Kate Spade
Cole Haan
Francesco Biasa
Chloe.

Recruitment at UPS is 4 days. The first and second days we go to all the chapters. The third day, we go to three and the final day is preference. The next day is bid day.

I still have my journal, as it was only a few months ago and I'm excited to share my story with you all!
Oh my, a story from my own little alma mater.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

i leave GC for a weekend because i'm travelling and i return to not two, but seven recruitment threads in progress (retro, but still, it's a looooong way to august!)

can't wait to hear more!
Old 06-05-2007, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, I know I said I would wait to update, but I have a day off today and my next one isn't for kind of a long time, so I'll just introduce my feelings about each chapter going into recruitment. I had a semester at school to watch the girls and see what I thought about the way they looked and acted, and to listen to what my friends thought about them. My boyfriend was (and is) on the track and cross country teams, so I had spent a lot of time with his friends, very few of whom were Greek, and who had very strong opinions about the sororities. I was also rushing with three of my friends, Sally, (my best friend) and our friends Jane and Elizabeth (I changed their names because I rushed so recently and I don't know that they'd want their stories broadcast on the internet) and they had strong opinions already formed too. So as I began recruitment this is what I thought about the chapters:

Kate Spade-The girl who hosted me when I spent the night at UPS and her roommate were both in Kate Spade. They didn't have a big presence on campus, which I didn't like, but all the girls I had met were really nice and involved in a lot of things on campus. A Sally and Jill had completely written off this chapter and planned to cut it first, but Emily and Nora, the girls I knew were so great that I wanted to give it a chance. Elizabeth also knew a few Kate Spade girls and felt the same way as I did.

Cole Haan-I'm not exactly sure why, but I was convinced that I was going to be a Cole Haan as I started recruitment. I hadn't had any girls from this chapter in my classes last semester, but they had a strong presence on campus and the boys on the track team told me they were cool girls. There were a few Cole Haans in the Aerobics class I had just started taking, and I had almost no contact with them, but they seemed nice. I had an image of these girls as smart pretty brunettes, which was also how I saw myself, and I was SURE I'd be a great fit. Sally and Jill were also really excited about Cole Haan.

Francesco Biasa-I knew the most Francesco Biasas. Jen, a senior who I had made friends with in my Art History class, Erika, a really friendly girl who I liked in my International Relations class, and who I saw a lot at my job in the Business School, and Laurel, a senior who had led my orientation were all in Francesco Biasa. I absolutely loved these girls and Francesco Biasa definately had the biggest presence on campus, but I was unsure that I would fit in. All the cheerleaders were Franesco Biasa, and they had a reputation for partying more than I did. My boyfriend's track friends told me this house was kind of obnoxious, but also that they thought I'd fit in (they didn't say it like it would be a good thing,) one of the boys on the track team was dating a Francesco Biasa and they liked her. My aerobics class had about 7 Francesco Biasas (including Jen!) but I hadn't talked to any except Jen. Elizabeth really didn't want to be Francesco Biasa, and Jill and Sally weren't as excited about it as they were about Chloe and Cole Haan.

Chloe-If I wasn't a Cole Haan, I thought I'd be a Chloe. I had one Chloe in my International Relations class and I liked her. We'd hung out at a few parties. They had a good presence on campus and it seemed like each Chloe I met was different. The boys on the track team said these girls were the coolest girls on campus, but they didn't think it was where I'd be, because a lot of athletes were in Chloe, and I'm really not athletic. I was really excited to go to Chloe, and so were Sally, Jill and Elizabeth.

SmartBlondeGFB, you probably already know what every chapter is, but the story would have been super boring if I hadn't said this stuff, so I'm sorry about that!

Denise_DPhiE, UPS sent me a huge amount of mail too and I had insisted that I would not go there because of the amount of stuff they sent me. Obviously I changed my mind when I visited.

Phi Alpha Delta
Old 06-05-2007, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey I was about to go to UPS!
Old 06-06-2007, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ok, I know I said I would wait to update, but I have a day off today and my next one isn't for kind of a long time, so I'll just introduce my feelings about each chapter going into recruitment. I had a semester at school to watch the girls and see what I thought about the way they looked and acted, and to listen to what my friends thought about them. My boyfriend was (and is) on the track and cross country teams, so I had spent a lot of time with his friends, very few of whom were Greek, and who had very strong opinions about the sororities. I was also rushing with three of my friends, Sally, (my best friend) and our friends Jane and Elizabeth (I changed their names because I rushed so recently and I don't know that they'd want their stories broadcast on the internet) and they had strong opinions already formed too. So as I began recruitment this is what I thought about the chapters:

Kate Spade-The girl who hosted me when I spent the night at UPS and her roommate were both in Kate Spade. They didn't have a big presence on campus, which I didn't like, but all the girls I had met were really nice and involved in a lot of things on campus. A Sally and Jill had completely written off this chapter and planned to cut it first, but Emily and Nora, the girls I knew were so great that I wanted to give it a chance. Elizabeth also knew a few Kate Spade girls and felt the same way as I did.

Cole Haan-I'm not exactly sure why, but I was convinced that I was going to be a Cole Haan as I started recruitment. I hadn't had any girls from this chapter in my classes last semester, but they had a strong presence on campus and the boys on the track team told me they were cool girls. There were a few Cole Haans in the Aerobics class I had just started taking, and I had almost no contact with them, but they seemed nice. I had an image of these girls as smart pretty brunettes, which was also how I saw myself, and I was SURE I'd be a great fit. Sally and Jill were also really excited about Cole Haan.

Francesco Biasa-I knew the most Francesco Biasas. Jen, a senior who I had made friends with in my Art History class, Erika, a really friendly girl who I liked in my International Relations class, and who I saw a lot at my job in the Business School, and Laurel, a senior who had led my orientation were all in Francesco Biasa. I absolutely loved these girls and Francesco Biasa definately had the biggest presence on campus, but I was unsure that I would fit in. All the cheerleaders were Franesco Biasa, and they had a reputation for partying more than I did. My boyfriend's track friends told me this house was kind of obnoxious, but also that they thought I'd fit in (they didn't say it like it would be a good thing,) one of the boys on the track team was dating a Francesco Biasa and they liked her. My aerobics class had about 7 Francesco Biasas (including Jen!) but I hadn't talked to any except Jen. Elizabeth really didn't want to be Francesco Biasa, and Jill and Sally weren't as excited about it as they were about Chloe and Cole Haan.

Chloe-If I wasn't a Cole Haan, I thought I'd be a Chloe. I had one Chloe in my International Relations class and I liked her. We'd hung out at a few parties. They had a good presence on campus and it seemed like each Chloe I met was different. The boys on the track team said these girls were the coolest girls on campus, but they didn't think it was where I'd be, because a lot of athletes were in Chloe, and I'm really not athletic. I was really excited to go to Chloe, and so were Sally, Jill and Elizabeth.

SmartBlondeGFB, you probably already know what every chapter is, but the story would have been super boring if I hadn't said this stuff, so I'm sorry about that!

Denise_DPhiE, UPS sent me a huge amount of mail too and I had insisted that I would not go there because of the amount of stuff they sent me. Obviously I changed my mind when I visited.
Even though I left there in 1992 yep I have a pretty good idea (I have been an advisor for them recently). The reps haven't changed much.

KunjaPrincess needs to read this....
Old 06-06-2007, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm reading, I'm reading.

I think I know who they are too LOL
Connect. Impact. Shine
Old 06-06-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
My boyfriend's track friends told me this house was kind of obnoxious, but also that they thought I'd fit in (they didn't say it like it would be a good thing,)
LOL this is up there with "OH MY GOD YOU LOST A TON OF WEIGHT YOU USED TO BE BIG AS A HOUSE!!"
Old 06-06-2007, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm also eagerly awaiting more in this thread, since I know a number of people who've been in the greek system at UPS.

I think if I was in our chapter at UPS, I'd have a hard time not doing "What can brown do for you?" shirts.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Yep, G-Phi has "What can double brown do for you?" sweatshirts, with the word "double" inserted with a carrot editing symbol over the UPS logo. They're really cute! I'm definately a little jealous.

Phi Alpha Delta
Old 06-06-2007, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yep, G-Phi has "What can double brown do for you?" sweatshirts, with the word "double" inserted with a carrot editing symbol over the UPS logo. They're really cute! I'm definately a little jealous.
Oh, I need to see if they have any extras......
Old 06-06-2007, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise_DPhiE View Post
I am excited about this one for a silly reason! In High School, I got tons of mail from this school soliciting me to go there but in a million years, I would not have gone 3,000 miles away of college (first generation college student). I later visited friends at Washington St in Pullman (Sig Kap and AGD!) and saw that the state of Washington (UPS, WSU or U Dub) would have been a great place for this girl from "Lawn-Gisland" to go to school. I went to Hofstra instead (and lived there even thought it was only 20 miles from my house).

So, I await your story!
LOL you ended up going to like the uber lawnguylin school (sorry, when i hear LIU, i think of Flatbush ave and junior's cheesecake, not whatever is out there by CW Post)

/hijack