GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,450
2 members and 1,448 guests
bmilesqtivaov13, naraht

Old 09-27-2006, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Legacy Question

Hi ladies! I'm very interested in rushing this semester. I have a question regarding being a legacy. I am a legacy to a chapter at my school(XYZ for our purposes), but I'm not sure that is where I belong. I plan to meet the sisters during rush week (which is next week), but what if I decide that I don't want to pref XYZ? Since I've listed that I'm a legacy on my recruitment registration, will other sororities still be interested in me? Or am I better off not listing my legacy information?

Any advice you have would be helpful! Thankss!!

Last edited by JerseyGirlx3; 09-30-2006 at 02:21 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-27-2006, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Feel free to list your legacy info. Having been involved for Panhellenic recruitment, most chapters won't care too much if you're a legacy. The only one that will take much consideration in it is your legacy chapter.

And don't feel that you have to join that chapter. You'll be much happier in the end if you make the decision for yourself (even if you do decide that chapter is for you).
Old 09-30-2006, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADPi Conniebama
I don't know how "cut throat" your university is but at some schools, some sororities might take into consideration your legacy status for another sorority.

If you are a legacy from that PARTICULAR CHAPTER of XYZ then, (AND I AM ASSUMING RIGHT NOW) understand that the other sororities will more then likely take that into consideration during, second or third night releases. If however your mother/grandmother/sister went to another University then it won't matter so much - BUT my advise to you is . . . GET A REC for all of the other sororities so you are letting them know that you are interested in them as well.

If you do that then the other sororities will know that you won't be just taking up a "slot" only to choose your legacy chapter in the end.

Did that make sense? I hope so.

OOO also let me tell you what I saw alot of this year. ALL of the sororities had legacies and it was easier for us to see if the pnm was only interested in their legacy chapter if they only put that relation on ICS. SOME of the legacies (for all of the sororities) would put for example

Mother XYZ Univeristy of North Alabama
Cousin ABC University of Texas
Cousin PDQ University of Alabama
Sister MNO Auburn University

Heck some girls put down when their Father was in a fraternity (I don't know exactly what that mattered, except that we knew they knew something about the greek system)

Hope it helps and have a great time.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Just to reinterate what Connie just said, if your sister is currently a sister of XYZ, then some other sororities won't give you a chance, while others will compete all the harder. If no one knows your mother-sister-whatever, then be sure to list your legacy status! Women who are legacies have a better chance of knowing what all being in a sorority entails, from duties to dues, and most GLOs like to see that.

Most importantly, have fun and good luck!
Old 10-01-2006, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much for all your advice! I ended up listing my legacy info, but I've checked out all the other sororities on campus as well. Turns out that I don't think I'm going to be visiting my legacy chapter this week during rush, as I've found two others that I fell in love with! Hopefully my being a legacy to the one chapter won't make a difference in my chances of getting a bid from the other two. Bid day is next Sunday, so I'll keep you posted!! Thanks again!
Old 10-01-2006, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I had a friend who listed his legacy (a brother legacy living in the house) and he got cut from every fraternity except for the legacy and low tier houses, so it is kind of a big deal.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I think a big part of it is where you go to school and what kind of Greek system your school has. If you go to school with a competitive recruitment in the South, listen to honeychile and ADPi Connie Bama. If you go to school, say, in the Northeast, I can tell you that legacy status is a whole different situation.

The ICS recruiter program that we use for registration only shows who is a legacy to our sorority. We don't know if other women are legacies from other sororities unless we know their sister personally or the legacy tells us flat out. Even if my chapter knows a PNM is a legacy to another sorority, she has no advantage or disadvantage over other PNMs.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I also don't think there's anything wrong with saying something like "Well, I'm an XYZ legacy, and my mother/sister/aunt had a great time as an XYZ, but I'm really excited to consider other options, too."
Old 10-02-2006, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Or, " I really want to find the chapter that's right for me"

Just like some at schools they cut legacies from other chapters, at other schools, they like stealing legacies from each other.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm curious to know...which sorority did you end up joining??
Old 10-14-2006, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

As it turned out, I got preffed by my #1 sorority, AND got a bid from them the next day. I'm excited for my new member period, and working towards being a sister of GAMMA PHI BETA! (not my legacy chapter lol)
Old 10-14-2006, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

CONGRATULATIONS to you and G Phi B. That is amazing-so happy for you! <3