GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,255
1 members and 2,254 guests
zamesyandext578

Old 10-10-2002, 12:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
Question Making a Career Decision- HELP

brief summary for those of you who aren't on the random thread: I was working at this magazine company and got laid off. there were a lot of internal problems i had had with one lady there who i believe contributed to my lay off. I have been out of work for a month (1 month today!) and i need to start working again...so i have been going on lots of interviews.

Today, I went on an interview at a place WHICH I LOVE! I mean this job is right up my alley and something I have always wanted to do and I think I did really well during the interview. I met with the HR lady who was like my new best friend and the girl who i would be working with, who I liked just as much. The receptionist said that that was a great sign that I got to meet the second woman. And this is sooo something that I want to do. Its a photography studio who does catalogue work. And I would be planning special events and some of the photo shoots and getting the models prepped and stuff like that....I felt so wonderful when I left there. (Kinda like the feeling when you leave a rush party and are absolutely in love with the Org.).

Anywhoo, here is the problem....Its part-time. About 20- 30 hours a week, depending on the week and it would be hourly pay, about $13- $15 an hour. And I wouldn't be able to get health benifits. I've done the math and I would be struggling financially and I don't know if I can pay for health insurance on that kind of salary, on top of living expenses. I know they said that EVENTUALLY it would be come a full time position, like 6months to a year from now....so I dont know what to do.

Any advice would be fabulous... I mean I don't even know if i will get the job or not, and maybe I am jumping the gun, but I really liked it!

HELP!

But this is the problem
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-10-2002, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats on finding such an exciting, fun job opportunity! I know how hard it is to find one because I am in the same boat right now.

Don't stress about it. If they make you an offer, then discuss your concerns with them. Since they said it would eventually become full time, I would go for it -- AS LONG AS YOU CAN GET IT IN WRITING! Ask them if they would be willing to draft up a contract that says that if they are pleased with your performance, they will make you full time by October 2003, or something.

Also, if it is only 20 to 30 hours a week, you could pick up a second job so you won't be strapped for cash. Cocktailing on nights and weekends, or something. This can be stressful (I work three jobs right now), but sometimes you have to make sacrifices to get ahead!

Good luck!
Old 10-10-2002, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
I say take it if its offered, but I think I'd make it clear, that while you just love the job and the opportunity, you do need the benefits of a full time job and that you'll continue looking and if something full time comes up you'll be moving on ...

In addition... working even if its only part time is better than not working ... some $$ is better than no $$.

good luck!!
Old 10-10-2002, 12:55 PM

Take it take it TAKE IT!!

Creative fields in general are so hard to get into right now - any door is a good door. It sounds like they are sincere and will take you on full time as soon as they are able. Plus you will make a lot more contacts/$$ on a part time job than no job at all.

Ditto the second job idea - waitressing is one option. Some department stores have "stocker" positions where you just come in at night and straighten the stock and such and don't have to deal with people - but you still get the employee discount.

Additionally, there is reduced cost insurance available for individuals in exactly your situation. Let me know if you want some info and I can mail it to you.
Old 10-10-2002, 02:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I concur with EVERYTHING 33girl said Take that job if you love it as much as it sounds. Get in writing a guarantee that the job will be full-time, and get a second job waitressing or retail or whatever.

Good luck!

Heather
Old 10-10-2002, 04:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
I should have mentioned this as well....i was in a really horrible car accident that has rendered me only able to do certain things (ie. I can't be on my feet walking around or lifting things, even a waitressing tray) and I also do physical therapy at night, so there would be no way I could pick up something else too.

I still havent heard from the yet, but then again, I only left their office 4 hours ago!

I also went on a second interview today for an admin. job-- it was so BLAH compared to the first one. Granted its something I could do, but the pay is sucky, they don't offer any benefits at all (they are a 3 people office) and it was just so boring.

Looking for a job is just so frustrating. But I will def. take the cool job if it is offered o me.

As for the advice on this position going full time...thanks guys, I hadnt thought of that! Also, 33girl (i think it was you) who said that thing about the insurance, I will be sure to email you if I need it!
Old 10-10-2002, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I am so sorry about your accident -- I hope you get better soon!

I know you said you can't work evenings because of physical therapy, but what about weekends? You could do telemarketing/phone-based research... it is totally boring, but pays like $15 an hour. All you have to do is sit and paint your nails and talk on the phone!
Old 10-10-2002, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

MAX, A Bird in the hand with something you enjoy is better than clapping your hands toghter and finding Birdshit!

It may lead to something! Si!?

Damn, I know, We all Hope the very Best for You!!!!!!!!!!

Hang in Sweety, You have suffered, now is the time to get a little reward!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-10-2002, 07:24 PM

I'm sorry about your accident.

As for the job, if it's offered to you, grab it and run! In this economy, you should take any port in a storm, particularly since you say there's a chance that it could turn into a full-time job.

I'm in pretty much the same situation right now. I got laid off last spring, and I'm currently working part-time at a job way outside my field, for sucky pay - but it gets me out of the house, and I'm meeting people I wouldn't otherwise meet, thereby expanding my network so that hopefully I can find a "real" job sooner.

Are you collecting unemployment? If not, file for it now! If you work part time, your benefits are reduced but don't go away entirely. Hey, it's free money