GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,439
1 members and 1,438 guests
Kevin

Old 08-13-2002, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

long distance job searches?

Does anybody know of any good resources (preferably online) that have information on conducting a long distance job search? I am trying to conduct one right now, and I've been finding a lot of general information that's not really helpful -- for example, that I should try to learn as much about the new town as possible, say something in my cover letter about my connection to the new town (which honestly I don't have other than really wanting to go there), or go there (can't, no money). Well, duh, I knew that... I would love to find something more specific and more helpful, that might tell me something I didn't know already.

Does such a thing exist?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-13-2002, 11:25 AM

Of course this depends on the type/level of job you are in, but I would say if you want to relocate you just have to do it. Save money from your current job or see if you can get a small loan from your parents. You can sign up with a temp agency and get short jobs through them till you find something permanent. Plus you can be completely honest about going on interviews and such.

I went for a gazillion interviews in Pittsburgh while still living 60 miles away and was never offered anything. After I picked up and moved here I had no problem. Truth is, unless you have a very unusual skill that the company is in need of, they're going to take the person who's already in town and somewhat settled rather than the person who needs to move into town, relocate, figure out the area, etc.
Old 08-13-2002, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, first of all... only about 30% of available jobs are listed online, so you should only spend about 30% of your time job hunting online.

You should probably get a phone book from the area you want to move to and send unsolicited resumes and cover letters to companies you would want to work for... even if they don't have an opening at the moment they will possibly keep you in mind later when something opens.

Call placement agencies throughout the area... they will probably let you fax your resume and do a phone interview (so you don't have to fly out for it)... it's always good to have a pro. working for you!

Connect with your GLO's alum. association in the area... see if they have any members who work in your field... maybe they will hook you up with at least an internship or something.

And, finally, see if your field has any professional resources... for instance, there is a book called "The Writer's Market" which publishes contact info. on all the magazines in the nation for freelance writers so they can try to get them to print their stories. I know many other professions have similar resources.
Old 08-13-2002, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
I was JUST in your position! I started my long distance job hunt this spring. I knew that I had to relocate so I had no choice but to find a job up here! I looked online, which was some help, but not much. Very few of the really good positions are listed online. One thing that did help though was to look in the classifieds in the online version of the city's newspaper. I was looking for a teaching position, in a subject area that is currently NOT in demand. So their weren't a whole lot of listings. I made sure I told everyone within earshot that I was looking for a job in RI. It turned out that a professor at my school, who is also like a father to my husband had a secretary who was from Rhode Island and she is best friends with a superintendent up here. She contacted her for me and then long story short, she didn't have any positions in her district, but she agreed to distribute my resume at a big meeting of all the superintendents. I was eventually (3 months later) contacted by a school district that wanted to interview me so I went in the next week (having already moved here only the week before!) and they interviewed me and offered me the job the next day. So don't underestimate the power of spreading the word, sending resumes, using your connections!
Old 08-13-2002, 03:09 PM
Banned

What i know

Everyone I know conducts long distance job searches at my school, including me. There are all sorts of job sites to visit such as vault.com, jobtrak.com, and wetfeet.com.

As I'm sure you're searching for law positions, I know a lot of my friends in the UChicago law school ended up going through Vault's list of law firms and applying through there.

I definitely say find a job first before moving. You can stress that you're willing to relocate and pay for the costs on your own. You didn't exactly post any specific questions, but if you did I'm sure I can ask one of my friends for their advice.

-Rudey
Old 08-13-2002, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

moster.com, yahoo job searches are also good job "search engines"

a lot of corporations might even pay for travel expenses if you get interview set up.

best of luck to you with your job search and your move to the new city!
Old 08-14-2002, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Anyone ever do an international job search? I am thinking of moving to Europe in a few years and want to start looking now so I can get a feel for what the economy and job market is over there.
Old 08-18-2002, 04:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I use Dice.com, Monster.com, and HotJobs.com. It does depend on your level of experience and line of work, but they work for me.