GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,592
2 members and 1,590 guests
navane, PGD-GRAD

Old 03-27-2013, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing as a sophmore transfer student at KU (is it even do-able?)

I'm going to be a sophmore transfer in fall and ill only be 18. I want to rush but I have read that your chances of getting a bid are less likely if you are not a freshman. I wanted to know how true that was for University of Kansas, And if I still have a good shot. I n is greek life is big but I'm not sure how competitive it is there. Any information from anyone, wheather a KU student or not would be SO much appreciated! thanks have a great day
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-27-2013, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I cannot speak specifically for Kansas, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I attend the University of Missouri which was in the same athletic conference quite recently and seems to have somewhat of a similar recruitment process. I know several sophomores that received bids to my sorority and others, including some transfers. Keep your grades up, stay involved, and obtain recommendations if they are necessary for KU.

Hopefully someone who is more familiar with the recruitment process at KU will respond! Good luck!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a KU grad. There were many many sophomores rushing when I was there. As with any campus, keep those grades up and have good activities on your resume. KU may not be as competative as Mizzou, Oklahoma or Texas, but recs are still very important. Give yourself the best possible start by having your recs taken care of early. If there are any other KU grads on here, they may also chime in.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:59 PM

Not a KU grad, but my alumnae Panhellenic supports many local PNMs who attend KU. It is pretty competitive, especially for certain groups, but sophomores still get bids.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Does KU have an upperclassman quota?
Old 03-28-2013, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was there, there was not. When I was there, I seem to recall about 2/3rds freshmen and 1/3 sophomores with the occasional junior thrown into the mix. I knew juniors who received bids during formal recruitment. Now, that may have changed, but a good friend is a Gamma Phi who graduated last year, and I don't recall her saying anything about an upperclass quota when we have talked about recruitment.

I have to say this, as much as Greek life has grown at K-State, Mizzou, and the Oklahomas, it seems to have stayed stagnant at KU. The new member classes are the same size now as they were when I was there. I don't know if there is just a different vibe at KU or what it is. I have found it interesting that the quotas are the same as when I was there, and there are two less groups now than there were when I graduated.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

At my university (of course sorority life is different everywhere), rushing at a sophomores is pretty competitive, but sophomore who are transfers are given a better chance I think, just because it's their first year in college. Often sophomores are asked about why they didn't rush the previous year (which I think is an unnecessary question), but the transfers I know were almost thrown in the pool the same as freshmen.

Good luck!