GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,273
0 members and 1,273 guests
No Members online

Old 07-26-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
This whole thing makes me so sick. Misogyny through and through. Take away all opportunities for women to have a safe space, leadership opportunities without oppression, and being forced to live in the "good ole boys" world without respite. Of course, since women aren't paid equally, I suppose their alumnae withholding donations or the like wouldn't have much of an effect.
But....

Thinking it is worse for the women to lose their groups than it is for the men to lose theirs is kind of the same mindset Harvard is presenting. It sucks for everyone.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

The real danger is that what is going on at Harvard will spread to other private universities. Harvard has such influence over PC administrators in the education establishment. Don't be surprised if this is just the start. Look for Yale to go after the all male secret societies.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:58 AM

Years ago I read Elizabeth Wurtzel’s book Prozac Nation and she talks about her experience of busting her butt excelling so she could get into Harvard, and then getting there, and realizing it was just a place like any other place, it wasn’t magic, and her classmates were 17-22 year olds with bad decision making skills and raging hormones, just like anywhere else. Banning fraternities and sororities isn’t going to ban behaviors.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl2000 View Post
Wellesley is not close enough to be feasible to share a chapter with as far as undergrads without transportation go..... I don't know of any NPC orgs that do regional undergrad chapters.... this could be a consideration with other Boston city schools?
I certainly haven't heard of any NPC orgs with regional undergrad chapters. There might even be something in the Unanimous Agreements prohibiting it.

I'm an alumna of MIT, so I'm very familiar with the Boston/Cambridge area. MIT students, particularly undergrads, are actively discouraged from bringing cars to campus. I imagine the same is true at Harvard. And Wellesley students driving to Harvard would be hard pressed to find parking. (You can't "pahk the cah in Hahvahd Yahd".) IIRC, Alpha Kappa Alpha has a chapter with members from MIT, Harvard, and Wellesley, but I have no idea how they get around the transportation logistics. Back in my day, MIT and Wellesley had a cross-registration program, and there was a shuttle bus so that students could get back and forth, but that wouldn't help the Harvard students. Of course, there are plenty of other schools in the Boston/Cambridge area that are reachable by bus or T.

Back on topic - I'm sorry to hear that Theta at Harvard is shutting down because of Harvard's ban on single-sex organizations.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
...IIRC, Alpha Kappa Alpha has a chapter with members from MIT, Harvard, and Wellesley, but I have no idea how they get around the transportation logistics.
some of the other NPHC groups are similar.
Alpha Phi Alpha (Rho Nu encompasses MIT, Harvard and Tufts)
Omega Psi Phi (Gamma encompasses BU, BC, Emerson, Harvard, MIT, Northeastern Tufts and UMass-Boston)
Old 08-04-2018, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

More info

I think the sororities would have tried to continue, but the number of women who signed up for recruitment was less than half from prior years (as this was first year PNMs were subject to sanctions), making it hard for some to continue financially. Becoming gender neutral groups, they will basically continue as before but as private finals clubs where members will not be sanctioned. Bear in mind all will be open to male members, but will be allowed to be "female focused", so highly lilely there will be no men lining up to join. In the end, Harvard will have created gender neutral clubs in name only exclusive to Harvard.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

SAE has a Boston-citywide chapter for all 4-year schools that don't already have an active SAE chapter. It's been done before in the city by non-NPHC groups (who don't have as much experience running a citywide chapter), so perhaps they will pick up some Harvard students as well or inspire other groups to do something similar.

I believe AEPi also does citywide groups in cities where there isn't one school with a critical mass of Jewish students large enough to support a healthy chapter on its own.

https://www.bostonsae.com/about-us.html
Old 08-05-2018, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2...-gamma-closes/
Published 8-5-2018

Old 08-06-2018, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

So this leaves Alpha Phi, the last of the four sororities to charter and now—the last one left. It seems pointless to stay; but I guess you can have a Panhel with just one group. But when recruitment begins...and I can’t imagine many women will now be interested—will they have to bid EVERY WOMAN who goes through recruitment? It will be interesting to see.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't understand the point of forcing Greek organizations to become mixed gender. Why can't we take the approach that we take with sports teams. No one is asking for NCAA teams to mix genders instead it's a kind of separate but equal situation.

If there were sororities but no fraternities or fraternities and no sororities I might be able to understand the argument that one gender is being discriminated against but since both genders have groups why can't separate but equal be acceptable in this situation.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners52674 View Post
I don't understand the point of forcing Greek organizations to become mixed gender. Why can't we take the approach that we take with sports teams. No one is asking for NCAA teams to mix genders instead it's a kind of separate but equal situation.

If there were sororities but no fraternities or fraternities and no sororities I might be able to understand the argument that one gender is being discriminated against but since both genders have groups why can't separate but equal be acceptable in this situation.
Not really sure that using the terminology of Plessy v. Ferguson is the way to go. If the reasoning doesn't separate Social groups from Professional/Honorary groups, then the argument becomes why shouldn't Title IX have covered all the groups with Greek Letters, treating (for example) Delta Delta Delta like Phi Delta Delta, Cwens and Omega Phi Alpha.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGD-GRAD View Post
So this leaves Alpha Phi, the last of the four sororities to charter and now—the last one left. It seems pointless to stay; but I guess you can have a Panhel with just one group. But when recruitment begins...and I can’t imagine many women will now be interested—will they have to bid EVERY WOMAN who goes through recruitment? It will be interesting to see.
They don’t have to bid anyone. No sorority does. Also, if there’s only one sorority, the NPC chapter would automatically dissolve.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:08 PM

The sports team thing is that there are supposed to be as many opportunities for women as for men - you can’t have a football, baseball, and wrestling team for men and then just a golf team for women.

The groups will simply run as local fraternities and sororities with a half dozen members of the opposite sex on the rolls, who just happen to be not very active and never show up for anything. (That’s what I would do, anyway.)
Old 08-06-2018, 10:28 PM

Here is an article published in today's New York Times about Delta Gamma closing.

According to the article, Theta is not so much closing entirely as becoming gender-neutral - I'm guessing something similar to Kappa and Fleur-de-Lis? Of course, as a gender-neutral group, they could not continue to operate as a Theta chapter.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
According to the article, Theta is not so much closing entirely as becoming gender-neutral - I'm guessing something similar to Kappa and Fleur-de-Lis? Of course, as a gender-neutral group, they could not continue to operate as a Theta chapter.
I think it is completely disingenuous to view this as anything other than imposing punishments that led to the chapter closing. And CLOSING is exactly what happened. Just because the same group of girls start a new type of co-ed organization does not mean that the Theta chapter is just reorganizing or becoming a different kind of GLO. It is GONE.

They can call it whatever the hell they want. The plain truth is that Harvard drove the established Greek system out of Harvard, so that the students have no one to oversee or answer to other than Harvard.