GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,352
1 members and 1,351 guests
Cookiez17
Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Throwing in a little love for Alpha Xi Delta:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFcvfZNiYPY
Old 08-06-2017, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austingammaphi View Post
One of the reasons that UT's sorority fees are so high is because Austin has become a VERY popular place to live and work, and property taxes have skyrocketed in the past two decades as a result. It is very expensive for UT sororities and fraternities to maintain their houses.

My sorority left campus in the late '80s, and there's always talk at alum meetings about how great it would be to be back at UT. And then we start talking about how difficult it will be for any house to come back--many old houses (including our gorgeous chapter house from the late 1950s) have been razed to build condos and high-rise apartments, and the cost of the land alone would be prohibitive for many groups. Anyway, that's part of the reason that UT Greek life can be more costly than at other campuses.
This is a dumb question but are most national GLO's incorporated and registered with the IRS as either not for profit or social organizations? I was under the impression that most fraternities and sororities didn't have to pay property taxes because they were exempt.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Non profits are not exempt from property taxes.Churches are. And there are some 26-28 501 C designations anyway. Only one, 501 C3, is a charitable non profit. A large number of NPC and NIC groups are 501 C7s - social orgs. Other than the C3, non profits are not tax exempt.

Also, if the chapter house is on school property, there are probably no property taxes as educational institutions are exempt.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Non profits are not exempt from property taxes.Churches are. And there are some 26-28 501 C designations anyway. Only one, 501 C3, is a charitable non profit. A large number of NPC and NIC groups are 501 C7s - social orgs. Other than the C3, non profits are not tax exempt.

Also, if the chapter house is on school property, there are probably no property taxes as educational institutions are exempt.
Donations that Greek members make to their respective housing corporations to support our facilities are not even tax deductible :-( We have been working on that for years, but no success yet.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Donations that Greek members make to their respective housing corporations to support our facilities are not even tax deductible :-( We have been working on that for years, but no success yet.
Yes, CHIA (Collegiate Housing and Infrastructure Act). I had the opportunity to lobby Congress on that when I was Director of Housing and CHM of our Fraternity Housing Corporation. Exciting experience...but still no movement from Congress.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I was told that part of a donation that was for a new house could be deducted if it was being donated for a library or study area in the house. I was told what part of my donation would be going to this area and that part could be deducted.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DGator View Post
I was told that part of a donation that was for a new house could be deducted if it was being donated for a library or study area in the house. I was told what part of my donation would be going to this area and that part could be deducted.

That is correct.

True and Constant
Old 08-07-2017, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
That is correct.
To back up navane, any money going toward a new house "MUST BE" towards educational space only, not just rooms, kitchen or other places. This also includes money sent to IHQ's.

Sad part is we as Greeks help relieve space in dorms on campus which gets over crowded or price gouging rentals.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-07-2017, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
That is correct.
As long as the architect has deemed it educational space, the donation can be deductible. This ONLY applies to the bricks and mortar and any built in or "fixed" furnishings. It's a prescribed process to get this done and it ends up being a very small percentage of the overall square footage.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey all! I've been asked to update but I've been so busy, as you can imagine. Just trying to shop in order to move in was huge. Anyway, here I am!

This process has been a little intimidating because lots of girls seem to know each other. I found a hall mate and girl from orientation who were both in my group today, so that helped calm me down.

I had a good visit with Kappa Kappa Gamma. They have a gorgeous house right on campus. The girls at Alpha Delta Pi were very nice and down to earth. At Zeta Tau Alpha and Alpha Phi, I could tell they go for the attractive girls. It was just obvious. Alpha Phi also has a house on campus which I really liked. I didn't care for the Kappa Alpha Theta house but had a good visit. At Alpha Chi Omega, I talked to girls from my home state, which made the conversation really easy. I know I'm leaving out one or two but I'm exhausted right now.

I'm so glad I have 2 recruitment t shirts because the one I wore today was totally trashed just from walking around in this heat. I'll try to give another update later this week. It looks like this thread took on a life of it's own with all kinds of comments!
Old 08-23-2017, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

Good luck today SarahE. It is reassuring when you see someone you know during rush. And I sympathize with you on having to deal with the heat and humidity. Do realize that the sorority members have also been through it and understand.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Glad things are going well, SarahE! Good luck with the rest of the week.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for the update, SarahE, and good luck!
Old 08-23-2017, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Wishing you a great recruitment, SarahE. The Kappa and A Phi house locations are very very convenient, especially once recruitment is over. ;-) Then again, I'm a little biased being an A Phi myself! I'm eager to hear where my "rec girls" go this year as I have three going through at UT Austin and one at Texas Tech!
Old 08-23-2017, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Rooting for you! Can't wait to hear where you end up!
Closed Thread