GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,300
1 members and 1,299 guests
speedsters

Old 10-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Well, my point is that the local chapter isn't offering those things, so it doesn't appeal to me much.
Do you and your buddies offer those things? Is the alum chapter receptive to offering those things (are you sure they don't offer those things?)? Have you all tried to join and see what happens?

The local alum chapter is most likely offering the things that the chapter members want. They won't offer things that nonmembers want.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

There are so many women's organizations out here and community based sororities that don't even have collegiates and do great things (not just socialize) so I just don't get the whole, "I don't see a reason to be active in my sorority after college" or "What reason is there to do AI?" thing. Sure, you can join one of those other women's organizations to do community service and make a difference but why not do it with your sorority sisters and keep the committment you made in college? And as far as being too busy, I have seen women in the alumnae chapters of my org and other orgs go to school, take care of a family, work, and still find time to contribute something to their organization year after year, so I think people make time for what they choose to make time for. I think what some are not admitting here is that some/many only see their sorority as a college thing; hence, the popular "I used to be a _______ in college." Let's be real.

Last edited by rhoyaltempest; 10-06-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
Sure, you can join one of those other women's organizations to do community service and make a difference but why not do it with your sorority sisters and keep the committment you made in college?
Depending on the area of the country you are in, it may be that those other women's orgs carry more weight as far as professional or social associations than being in a sorority alumnae chapter does.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Depending on the area of the country you are in, it may be that those other women's orgs carry more weight as far as professional or social associations than being in a sorority alumnae chapter does.
What does this mean?
Old 10-06-2010, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That's the point. And why doesn't their sorority carry as much weight? That's the question. It's nothing to be ashamed of if that's indeed the case but let's not lie about things. If it's true that after college, your sorority experience is over and the committment is not in fact lifetime as many claim, than people need to own up to that.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
That's the point. And why doesn't their sorority carry as much weight? That's the question. It's nothing to be ashamed of if that's indeed the case but let's not lie about things. If it's true that after college, your sorority experience is over and the committment is not in fact lifetime as many claim, than people need to own up to that.
You misunderstood what I meant. Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant that even though you may want to be involved with XYZ alumnae, it will help you get much farther in your career or where you want to be socially to be an active member of the Women's Professional Alliance, or Junior League, or whatever. Some women have time and family constraints and need to make a choice. (I'm speaking completely hypothetically, not personally.) In other words, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

I know someone said farther down the thread that they felt like if they weren't involved in EVERY meeting, EVERY activity, their involvement was not welcome. IMO this occurs because chartering an alum chapter is too easy and requires too few members, so those members have to do everything or the chapter will flop. From what I can see, the NPHC is smart and doesn't have this problem. If chartering an NPC alum chapter was as hard as chartering a collegiate chapter is, I think more women would value it more and want to do it more.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
You misunderstood what I meant. Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant that even though you may want to be involved with XYZ alumnae, it will help you get much farther in your career or where you want to be socially to be an active member of the Women's Professional Alliance, or Junior League, or whatever. Some women have time and family constraints and need to make a choice. (I'm speaking completely hypothetically, not personally.) In other words, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.
Sorry but I consider this to be a horrible excuse. The spirit isn't willing if this is the case. People need to not only claim they don't have time, they need to admit that they honestly don't want to do it because they have already ranked the organizations in their life.

Plus, it is a little anti-sisterhood/brotherhood and a bit condescending. But, I can only speak for the NPHC. In many areas with NPHC alumnae/alumni/graduate chapters, even the smallest of chapters, one of the best ways to find "who's who" and get access to some professional and social outlets is to be a member of the chapter/get to know the members of the chapter.

I know people who wanted to climb to the highest of professional and social ranks in an area and didn't realize that their sorors and frat were already in those ranks waiting to lend them a hand and lift them up. Then some of them get asked by their sorors and frat in these nonGLO organizations "are you financial and active in the sorority/fraternity?"

Last edited by DrPhil; 10-06-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I know someone said farther down the thread that they felt like if they weren't involved in EVERY meeting, EVERY activity, their involvement was not welcome. IMO this occurs because chartering an alum chapter is too easy and requires too few members, so those members have to do everything or the chapter will flop. From what I can see, the NPHC is smart and doesn't have this problem. If chartering an NPC alum chapter was as hard as chartering a collegiate chapter is, I think more women would value it more and want to do it more.
Actually our alumnae chapters can range from having just 10 people to over 100 but you're right that the process to charter is quite similar for undergrad and grad. It's a serious committment and if you are chartering with a small group of people, you already know that you will have to be involved in everything and should have the time for this.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

My main reasons:
1. School & Time
2. $$
After I graduate, one of the first things I will do is reactivate.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
My main reasons:
1. School & Time
2. $$
After I graduate, one of the first things I will do is reactivate.
I was inactive before due to finances so I understand. The difference is that you plan to reactivate as I always did.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

My main reason is finances. Grad chapter was cool and was still allowing me to come to meetings, but it felt like stealing. Raised enough money to get active again only to find out Nationals discounted the price.

Ha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Xa4bHcJu8
Old 10-06-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Plus, it is a little anti-sisterhood/brotherhood and a bit condescending. But, I can only speak for the NPHC. In many areas with NPHC alumnae/alumni/graduate chapters, even the smallest of chapters, one of the best ways to find "who's who" and get access to some professional and social outlets is to be a member of the chapter/get to know the members of the chapter.

I know people who wanted to climb to the highest of professional and social ranks in an area and didn't realize that their sorors and frat were already in those ranks waiting to lend them a hand and lift them up. Then some of them get asked by their sorors and frat in these nonGLO organizations "are you financial and active in the sorority/fraternity?"
For some regions, mega x ookabillion difference between NPHC and NPC/NIC.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
For some regions, mega x ookabillion difference between NPHC and NPC/NIC.
Yeah so does this topic boil down to the difference between NPHC and NPC/NIC?

It will be kinda funny if it does.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I was inactive before due to finances so I understand. The difference is that you plan to reactivate as I always did.

Yep. I try to support events when I can, which is rare these days. If I manage to even get to a greek event, I'm shooting pictures for class or a personal project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPhire View Post
My main reason is finances. Grad chapter was cool and was still allowing me to come to meetings, but it felt like stealing. Raised enough money to get active again only to find out Nationals discounted the price.

Ha.
@ 1st bolded--Wish I could do that but I would have felt the same. It wouldn't be fair to my Sorors who had paid.

@ 2nd bolded-- I WISH IHQ would discount the price!
Old 10-06-2010, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
Yep. I try to support events when I can, which is rare these days. If I manage to even get to a greek event, I'm shooting pictures for class or a personal project.

@ 1st bolded--Wish I could do that but I would have felt the same. It wouldn't be fair to my Sorors who had paid.

@ 2nd bolded-- I WISH IHQ would discount the price!
See your PM!