GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,450
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zluspitt7200
» Online Users: 2,238
4 members and 2,234 guests
naraht, Phrozen Sands, Xidelt

Old 01-06-2010, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Why are you NOT involved in an Alumni/ae Association?

Hey all,

I am interested in finding out (in general, not specific to your GLO) if you are involved as a member of an alumni/ae chapter and if not, are there any reasons specifically why not? (don't have time, not interested in XYZ)

I appreciate any information you can give me!!

Best wishes to all!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Banned

What is this research for?
Old 01-06-2010, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I am staff and am trying to figure out ways to better engage our alumnae members throughout their lifetimes. Finding out why members DO NOT engage post-graduate is a way that we can start to look at how we can encourage them or provide benefits that would spark interest for them.

Does that make sense?
Old 01-06-2010, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denitta View Post
I am staff and am trying to figure out ways to better engage our alumnae members throughout their lifetimes. Finding out why members DO NOT engage post-graduate is a way that we can start to look at how we can encourage them or provide benefits that would spark interest for them.

Does that make sense?
It might be a better idea to actually ask your sisters then ask GC members.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Banned

Staff for what, an alumnae chapter of a sorority?

I agree with Psi U.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
It might be a better idea to actually ask your sisters then ask GC members.
Unless they are not involved because they can't be reached

This is general for men's and women's groups:

I'd say having correct contact information will go a long way, and making sure members are invited to appropriate events. Nothing will turn people off more than being asked for money but never inviting them to events like initiation or when graduating seniors become alumnae/i. If you don't like someone get over it and be a good example for the collegiate members and if they are that disruptive and causing problems handle it appropriately.

Realize your alumni and alumnae members have different life situations and continue to invite them and ask them what they'd like as things change. People get married, have kids, care for elderly parents, go to graduate school, change jobs and someone may increase or decrease involvement based on life happening. Unless someone tells you to never contact them a gain, dies, or is no longer a member there is no need to not reach out to them and keep them in the loop.

Oh and some people don't do internet, so create a phone tree for those members and try to coordinate rides if they are unable to drive due to age or ability or a one or no car household.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Banned

The OP seems to be asking about graduate/alumni/alumnae chapters. Not about alum of collegiate chapters being able to be reached and contributing to the collegiate chapter. The difference matters.

Every graduate/alumni/alumnae chapter has active members or they would not have a chapter. So, the OP should ask the active members; the leadership should brainstorm about reclamation efforts and reaching the inactive sisters with hopes of finding out why they are inactive, and getting them to become "members." Greek sites should never be the start or end point for such information.

ETA: I was financial and active after I graduated and am in an alumnae chapter. I know why I continued to be active and financial and I also know why many Sorors did not/are not. Alumnae/alumni/graduate chapters that have done the research also know why. This is why I asked what kind of staff she/he is because a general answer is difficult to provide without context.

Last edited by DrPhil; 01-06-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
The OP seems to be asking about graduate/alumni/alumnae chapters. Not about alum of collegiate chapters being able to be reached and contributing to the collegiate chapter.

Every graduate/alumni/alumnae chapter has active members or they would not have a chapter. So, the OP should ask the active members; the leadership should brainstorm about reclamation efforts and reaching the inactive sisters with hopes of finding out why they are inactive, and getting them to become "members." Greek sites should never be the start or end point for such information.

ETA: I was financial and active after graduating and am in an alumnae chapter. I know why many Sorors are not, and so do many alumnae chapters. This is why I asked what kind of staff she/he is because a general answer is difficult to provide without context.
Ah, I had Alpha Gam mindset in that our alumnae chapters are often tied to the support of a collegiate chapter, and so the two are intertwined. We also have paid our alumnae fees when joining as a collegian so anything in the future is optional.

I still stand by if you can't reach people they can't tell you why they aren't involved.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
I still stand by if you can't reach people they can't tell you why they aren't involved.
Very true. There are many ways to get in contact with people and host events to get visiting brothers and sisters to consider reactivation. Afterall, if these people supposedly can't be reached to answer a question, it may not matter what GC says about the question.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denitta View Post
Hey all,

I am interested in finding out (in general, not specific to your GLO) if you are involved as a member of an alumni/ae chapter and if not, are there any reasons specifically why not? (don't have time, not interested in XYZ)

I appreciate any information you can give me!!

Best wishes to all!
I'm not invloved for two reasons- the first is time- with three kids (ages 2-7) plus working full time, I am pretty busy.

The second reason- I am a wimp. I HATE going places (to meetings, gatherings) where I don't know anyone. Especially when the meeting is at someone's house. So the idea of going to someone's home whom I don't know for a meeting full of people I don't know based off of a generic newsletter that was sent is enough to send me into a full blown anxiety attack.

Maybe if someone contacted me over the phone and I met them first, I would do it. But I don't exepct the alumnae chapter to do that. I do want to eventually get over this and join...

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-06-2010, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
I HATE going places (to meetings, gatherings) where I don't know anyone. Especially when the meeting is at someone's house. So the idea of going to someone's home whom I don't know for a meeting full of people I don't know based off of a generic newsletter that was sent is enough to send me into a full blown anxiety attack.
For you, it may be anxiety, but in general, I think meetings in people's homes is a bad idea. I don't know why exactly. But I only conduct alumni meetings (for APO) in neutral locations like a restaurant or on a campus with adequate space. (Or meetings are not too formal to have in a restaurant)
Old 01-06-2010, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
For you, it may be anxiety, but in general, I think meetings in people's homes is a bad idea. I don't know why exactly. But I only conduct alumni meetings (for APO) in neutral locations like a restaurant or on a campus with adequate space. (Or meetings are not too formal to have in a restaurant)
Meetings for my non-Greek fraternal group are mostly in public, though we decided to have two summer meetings at members' homes that have wonderful summer amenities. We have drawn many members from another group with similar aims but not limited by gender as we are so most people know each other or the facility we borrow from their other membership.

I'm big and bold so I'd go to the home of someone I've vetted because were both members of an organization but I can see how some people may not be comfortable with that and tuck that away for planning meetings. My sister is in a group that meets in public but select members who are closer have met in people's homes, which became drama when someone who wasn't invited found out, oooops.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
Ah, I had Alpha Gam mindset in that our alumnae chapters are often tied to the support of a collegiate chapter, and so the two are intertwined. We also have paid our alumnae fees when joining as a collegian so anything in the future is optional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I agree - I personally am not as focused when i meet at people's homes. Plus people are squeezed together on the couch, theres the "shoes on/shoes off" situation, never enough chairs, possibility of pets and children running around. Definitely enough to cause anxiety.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Sometimes Alumnae Chapters make it seem that if you cannot do the maximum, your work is not appreciated. My sister is a physician and she would love to participate more in her sorority's alumnae chapter. However, she feels like the one day a month she'd be able to donate would be unacceptable. Maybe if you make it known that even the smallest contribution is good, people will be more willing to dive in.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Banned

I've never attended a general membership alumnae meeting at a home. That sounds like a bad idea, especially since graduate/alumni/alumnae chapters range in size from about 30-400 people with about 5-10% of the membership attending the meetings.

Committee and programming meetings at homes, sometimes if this is convenient for all attendees. I attended one this week.

ETA: OhMyCron: I hear that a lot and I think that's an excuse, and a poor one at that. Grown adults have figured out in their community service and religious institution experiences that even the smallest contribution can matter even if some people try to make them feel like it's not enough. I think people use this excuse because they themselves feel they aren't giving enough and are embarassed or they would rather pretend it's someone else's fault that they aren't contributing.

Last edited by DrPhil; 01-06-2010 at 04:08 PM.