GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,099
1 members and 1,098 guests
AOIIalum

Old 08-29-2012, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
I'm a moron! I thought you were asking literally where it was. Carry on...
Well, I know it's old-home to Phyllis George, Miss America 1971 (and member of Zeta Tau Alpha).

BTW perhaps Denton presented the second day of rush, and since they did not need to be ranked all ranks were done first night.

And may I inquire which ZTA chapter Phyllis joined? She attended two universities, both having a ZTA chapter, but I never knew where she joined Zeta.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the colonies presented together during recruitment, but I might be wrong..
Old 08-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

I believe she joined at North Texas State, although in the Miss America pageant, they announced(as they did for each contestant) that she was a student at TCU. I later heard that they always said that Miss Texas attended TCU, but that is probably hearsay.

But we digress. Please continue the story.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 08-29-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Ah, pulling for Lubbock (where I go to school!) and Austin (where I'm from).
Old 09-01-2012, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Philanthropy Day!

Sorry for the delay! I have ended up being busier than expected!!
Ok, so on the first Philanthropy day, we got our invite list bright and early. Denton and Galveston at this point dropped out of formal recruitment and would continue theirs after formal ended.
My list included:
Houston
Arlington
Abilene
Dallas
Austin
I was really confused. Of course, I had no idea what to expect about recruitment coming in and I was naively a little too confident. I thought if nothing else, my GPA would help push me past the first round for some of the houses. I was just really sad that Lubbock and El Paso cut me because I thought we had such a great connection…. But, now I know there is so much more that goes in to cuts. I wasn’t sad about Ft. Worth. I was expecting that, just hoping for the best. I was still really excited about Austin and Dallas, though, and because those two had been two of my favorites I was happy about the rest. And I knew that I was lucky with my list- many girls only had 2 or 3 houses left. And some girls had none. I decided I was happy about Abilene because I had anguished about cutting them the night before.

The parties took place over two days.

Ok rambling- to the parties!

First was ABILENE- I love this houses philanthropy- I have a very close personal connection with it. It is something that I would be proud of saying I support. The girls were really sweet and definitely loved their philanthropy. And, a girl from my high school came to say hi to me which was significant to me because none of the girls I knew in the other houses did. I liked this house and I knew I wouldn’t mind coming back for House Tour.

AUSTIN- Again, I love this philanthropy, and again it is for personal reasons. I loved the set up here and I loved, loved, LOVED most of the girls I talked to. They were my favorite from any house. And I think this house does the most fun things to support their philanthropy. I knew I would want to be involved in all of those. After their party I was praying for an invite to house tour, but the last girl I talked to left me with a bad vibe, so that made me nervous.

HOUSTON- This house has an amazing philanthropy but the video for it upset me because I had experienced something similar to the girl’s story in it. And after, the girl talking to me said something about that which just really upset me for the rest of the party. I didn’t feel a connection with any of these girls- the conversations were all extremely forced. I didn’t really care to come back here.

ARLINGTON- Arlington had the oddest philanthropy but after their presentation I understood why the founders would choose it. It was really great and sweet and nicely presented. I really liked the girls I talked to- I had a really fun conversation with a girl about Disney princesses, which I know is completely off topic from philanthropy but I enjoyed it and I really liked her. Something about the girls in this house as a whole made me feel uncomfortable, though, and not like I fit in. But, their house is amazing and I wanted to see it on House Tour day.

Last was DALLAS- The girls I talked to at this house were my favorite of the day. I adored them, still. After their presentation this house became my favorite. Their philanthropy and fundraisers/activities to support it are so amazing and they do SO MUCH. And every girl seemed so much more in to their philanthropy than any other girl at any other house. THIS felt like the house for me and I wanted to be here for House Tour.

So, when I ranked that evening it went:
Dallas
Austin
Abilene
Arlington
and released Houston.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

To gee_ess-

the new sororities each had seperate presentations in different fraternity houses. they decorated the areas of their presentation and everything was very, very cute.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

HOUSE TOUR DAY!

I was so nervous to get my invite list for this day- when I opened it I saw:
Arlington
Abilene
Dallas
Houston

I wasn’t disappointed simply because Dallas was my favorite house- it completely blew every other house out of the water and I loved it more than any other one. I just didn’t want to go back to Houston.

Again, the first house I went to was ABILENE- Their house from the front isn’t the most attractive, I think, but it is stately. And the inside was absolutely beautiful. This house felt sooo comfortable to me. I really liked both girls who led us around and they had the CUTEST little drinks for us. The decor was SO cute, personal and showed how great their sisterhood really was. I lovedddd this house! They were definitely growing on me.

Next was ARLINGTON- They have one of the most impressive, stately houses on campus. It is mind blowing. I really enjoyed house tour because it is just so beautiful but instead of a homey feeling there was more of an uptight, dorm feeling, and the girls who led us around also seemed uncomfortable and uptight, and all of the conversations were forced. There just wasn’t a feeling of “home” here.

Next house was HOUSTON- There still wasn’t a connection with these girls. And their house wasn’t as impressive as the others. The tour was even awkward by itself. Again, the feeling of “home” lacked.

DALLAS- Of course, Dallas was amazing. Their house is so, so cool. The décor is so interesting. There were odd things about this house, though. The girl I was paired with seemed a little uncomfortable with me even though I tried to alleviate it. Also, I kept comparing it to Abilene, interestingly enough. The décor of the bedrooms in both houses is very similar.

So for Pref night I chose DALLAS and ABILENE and released ARLINGTON and HOUSTON. I was the most nervous this night! I just had no connection with the other two houses any more.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, now it may take me a little while to get back to this- today is the first hog game!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!!! and after, i get to do multiple projects so.... i will come back to finish asap!
Old 09-01-2012, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I think I know Abilene!!!

Sounds like them and their famous, funny House Director. Glad you got to give them another chance.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

PREF NIGHT

So sorry for the delay, y'all! I am procrastinating on writing a paper so now is the perfect time to finish my story!

Ok, so Pref day FINALLY got here. I was absolutely dying to know if I got the ones I wanted back or not... I was so, so nervous. My gamma chi knew how I was feeling though and she gave me my list first, and smiled and gave me a hug after I found ABILENE and DALLAS back!!!!!! I went crazy. This was the best day since round 1!

So first I headed to ABILENE. Going in, I was expecting to have a nice experience, but I still couldn't wait to get to DALLAS. First we sat down in one of the rooms to speak to some girls. I really liked the girl I talked to- we had a lot in common, even looked a little alike, and then she brought up Harry Potter which was a great surprise (I LOVE Harry Potter.) Then we watched a video (which stressed a quality very dear to me) and went to a different room for a presentation and to chat with a different host. I had a great connection with the girl I spoke to here, which was odd since I had met her the first day and we had sort of an awkward encounter. She seemed like she had a similar time with her rush as I was having, and she addressed one of my concerns about joining a sorority without me even having to ask about it. I could tell we were a lot alike. And then she said something about what she believes the house means that just blew me away. When we got up to leave, she told me she hoped I got to join the house where I would be happiest. I was actually sad. I had such a great experience. I didn't feel like these girls were holding me to any sort of standard and I truly felt like I fit in. Which...... sucked. I was hoping to not have an issue with filling out my bid card....

That conflicted feeling followed me to DALLAS. The process was very similar, again. We talked to girls, watched a presentation, and then talked to more girls. And...... I was not blown away. I felt like every girl looking at me was expecting something, I wasn't impressed by their presentation, and I didn't like some of the things they said. I did like most of the girls I talked to, I just couldn't see myself with them. Also, there were no mentions of Harry Potter....

I was in the best mood ever that morning and it was crazy how much it had changed by the end of Pref day. I was so conflicted. I talked with one of the counselor sort of people, and she gave the advice to go with the one I liked best overall- So, because I had 3/4 great days at DALLAS, and 2/4 great days at ABILENE, I ranked 1. DALLAS and 2. ABILENE. And for the rest of the night I prayed to be put in the house that I belonged (and I also prayed a little for that house to be DALLAS.)
Old 09-10-2012, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

BID DAY!!!!!!

So... On the the big day! I woke up with knots in my stomach. I truly had the feeling that the day was not going to be my day. I spent all night the night before hoping that DALLAS was going to be the house for me.

We went with our gamma chi groups to the greek theatre on campus and I impatiently awaited the bid reveal. FINALLY it was time. I opened my bid card to find.....

ABILENE!

Now I have to be honest- I spent so much time wishing for DALLAS that i talked myself out of the love I grew for ABILENE. The day after that was just bleh. I watched jealously as all of the girls around me opened their bid card to their first choices. I headed to the house and tried to feign enthusiasm so as not to bring other girls down. I just couldn't get in to it. Even after the first week I was still not very content. And then, something happened two weeks ago. I realized that, as I met all these different girls in all the different houses, I really did not belong ANYWHERE else, especially in DALLAS. I didn't want to be sisters with the other girls I saw- I ONLY wanted to be sisters with my fellow ABILENE's. And now, three weeks in, I already cannot imagine myself anywhere else. I love EVERYTHING about my house- from the colors to the sisters to the philanthropy. And I don't even know that many girls yet! Going in to rush, I didn't believe the whole "you belong where you end up- trust the system" saying that all the gamma chi's were telling us. But now I do, wholeheartedly.

So I know y'all all want to know! And I also know quite a few of you will be excited to learn that

I am

A

Baby

KAPPA DELTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

YES! I love a KD ending, congratulations! I am so glad you stuck with it and gave KD a chance - you were chosen for a reason!
Old 09-10-2012, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations!!! Love a Kappa Delta ending and a great story.

So glad you found your home. Come over and introduce yourself on the KD forum. Kappa Delta is a wonderful organization and so glad to welcome you!
Old 09-10-2012, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations, and welcome to our sisterhood! I had a feeling that Abilene was KD, so I have been anxiously awaiting your story's finale. So happy for you, and your chapter. I think you will have a wonderful experience there.

Now go study.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I recognized Abilene, too. Arkansas' KD chapter has a great sisterhood. You will love being a part of it. Congratulations to you and to them.