GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,426
3 members and 1,423 guests
Cookiez17, g41965, JayhawkAOII

Old 06-09-2004, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Interns of the World Unite!

So I have this internship, that pays really well, but bores the hell out of me. I do some date entry, some phone calls, and I make lots of copies. This wasnt in the advertisement. Does anyone else have a similar story and how they got through it.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

One of my sorority sisters is in the same position as you. She's become an email champ - I get 3-4 emails from her a day, plus she blogs almost every hour on the hour.

I'll trade you because I love both of my unpaid internships, but I could really use the money!
Old 06-09-2004, 11:46 AM
Banned

Let me tell you something. I have one intern that is pissing everyone off. He doesn't do things right. I felt bad for him so I took him on and pretty much laid my rep on the line and kept him from getting fired. I feel like as interns you all let us down. You all move slowly. You all act like you get menial work and are bored so you do nothing all day.

So from every damn fricking full-time worker to all the interns:
Do what we gaddamn tell you to do.
Ask questions if you have questions.
If you have extra time, check the work 5000 times if you have to because the firm is not paying your ass to surf the net.
The work you do is not that strenuous that you can complain.
When I ask you to make copies, you will run, push anyone out of the way if you have to, and bring me a sandwich to make me happy.
You are not here only for a resume filler. You have to know things. You have to understand things. You have to take initiative.
We will love giving you work and your ass will love the work we give you.
There are NO negotiations on any of these points.

-Rudey
--These are all things I screamed today so take them to heart.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey everyone. I've done 2 internships but they were for social work school (3 if you count undergrad). From what I see people who complain they are bored and have nothing to do are not making the most out of their internship. This only hurts you in the long run when you go out in the real world and are not prepared. Social work school internships are no joke, we are expected to meet with at least 5 clients per week, supervision for an hour and a half each week and write word-for-word process recordings on our sessions with our clients. I've seen many an intern get by without doing these things for whatever reason and not to toot my own horn or anything but they really have no clue what to do when they actually are a "therapist". An internship is really what YOU put into it. I am sure people can find more to do during their internships then email all day. I put a post in the "life after college" thread about finding a mentor. This is a good way to go about that. Find someone at your placement and have them take you under your wing. Not only can you learn a lot but you will probably see all the time you have been wasting, and turn it around so it works for your advantage so you are more likely to get ahead in the future.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was interning at a certain political campaign in 2000, I was unpaid. In fact, I was going for college credit, so in reality I was paying to intern

My days went like this:
1) answer phone calls listening to people complain about: the United States government, the destruction of wooded areas in Oregon, and the Elian Gonzales thing...

2) file invitations to speaking engagements into the no, yes, or maybe files

3) make copies

4) make even more copies

5) enter campaign contributions into a database for the "finance" department

6) listen to all of the political staffers complain about having to move from D.C. to Tennessee for the campaign

7) screen phone calls for the "scheduling and advance" department -- if important, then let my bosses know

The good thing to keep in mind is that I was hired on as a full time staffer and front-office manager before the semester was even over. So, working hard at assinine tasks can pay off big time. It may not land you a job, but it can certainly get your foot in the door!
Old 06-09-2004, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally posted by Tippiechick
When I was interning at a certain political campaign in 2000, I was unpaid. In fact, I was going for college credit, so in reality I was paying to intern

Isn't that how all internships are?

And yeah. Putting in 16 hours a week here, unpaid. I love what I'm doing, but it would be so much more worthwhile if I was getting at least something. At least the people I work are so super nice!

KLTC
Old 06-09-2004, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

**Sniff** Um, I tried really hard to be an intern this summer (granted they were paid, but still..)....I'm just not cool enough to be one.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by AXJules
**Sniff** Um, I tried really hard to be an intern this summer (granted they were paid, but still..)....I'm just not cool enough to be one.
Want to be my butler intern?

-Rudey
--You can sleep in the tub even.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Want to be my butler intern?

-Rudey
--You can sleep in the tub even.
Let me sleep at the foot of your bed and give me a cute outfit and it's a done deal.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:29 PM

I'm doing the Summer Intern Take #2. I worked for the same authority last summer. This summer I'm getting to do things that are slightly more in tune with my job description. I'm doing ALOT of archiving and taking location scouts around the property. Still not quite "Envrionmental Intern" but getting close.

Last summer I was straight up Office Biatch (the receptionist had just left, and they decided I had a nice phone voice. It was better then cleaning gross old warehouses and catalogueing maps). Someone wanted coffee, I went to the corner store. Someone needed copies, I was there. I even got to take the company car to sit in line at the DMV for inspection one day.

Summer before that, I interned at a Migratory Bird Refuge. If I could afford to live at the beach again and workt that job, I would in a heartbeat. Problem is cheapest rent for the summer in Wildwood/Cape May, NJ area is $2500. I cleared $3500 last summer. Add in food and gas and beer, and I was dead broke.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Matt, glad to see you on board GC!

Sorry to see some asses hanging out in the wind!

Not all are perfect Butts!

Mr. I am Great, really welcomes one dont He?

Ah, wonder what the good old days were when someone was an Intern and Not MR. PERFECT!

Being an Intern is a listen and learn situation, but do not listen to ********* dish rags who profess to be perfect!

Back in the old days, this was called working to get your ass back into to college for the next year and pay the bills!

Guess to some of the New Neuvo I am Gods dont remember the GOOD OLD DAYs when they were the Scum of The Company.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-10-2004, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

My intern story:

The company went out of business two months after I left.

But everyone there loved me, as I was kick ass as an intern.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Billy ego is under you, but an intern is there to learn, not be a lackey of The I ams. If they treated you like that, well, guess that just shows the inmaturity that they might be.

Interning is supposed to be a learning situation!

Glad you like yours!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-10-2004, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
Isn't that how all internships are?
No, some of my friends have had paid internships.

And, there are internships where you don't get college credit -- you just intern to get your foot in the door. Some of my fellow interns were going for college credit (like myself), and some had just graduated and were looking for some resume experience.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
[color=deeppink]Isn't that how all internships are?
[color]
Negative - I'm interning for free, because I saw no need to pay the school $1500 for the priviledge of working for free at EACH internship, plus I don't think they'd give me credit for one anyway.