GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,392
1 members and 1,391 guests
janesstexxda745

Old 03-07-2005, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

"Greek Getaway" at Iowa State U.

Iowa State U. has something called "Greek Getaway" for prospective students. Looks like it's an introduction to the campus and to the benefits of Greek life. This year it's held on April 8 - 9.

Can any Iowa State people let us know if this kind of event increases the interest in recruitment? Does it help those who attend to feel more comfortable about recruitment events? Just curious.

Brief description of the getaway is at

http://www.greek.iastate.edu/getaway/
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-07-2005, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Greek Getaway has been going on for at least the last 8 years, and I think for even longer than that. I went to it when I was a senior in high school in 1997.

It's a great introduction to the Greek community at Iowa State. It's always held the weekend of Greek Week so the Getaway attendees get to stay in a chapter house, watch lip sync finals, go to non-alc functions, watch Greek Olympics, and just get to know some of the people in fraternities and sororities.

I think the retention rate is fairly good with maybe half or more people who go to Greek Getaway going through recruitment and becoming a member of the Greek Community. The year I went, two other girls (out of about 10) that stayed at the Kappa house with me also became my pledge sisters later through formal recruitment.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.

Last edited by ISUKappa; 03-07-2005 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
I didn't attend Greek Getaway when I was in H.S., but two of my closest friends in the house did and I think it's what helped them to decide to come to ISU and go Greek.

I think it's beneficial to prospective members because it provides a glimpse into Greek life. Some of the events change from year to year - i.e. a few years ago, women switched houses after one night so that they could spend the night at two different chapters, I can recall some years where PNMs only stayed one night. Generally, on the Saturday of the Olympics there's a tour of the chapter houses.

I feel that it's fairly successful. From some documents that I have from Greek Alumni Alliance meetings, it looks like last spring 75 men and 101 women attended. By June 11 of last year, 33 of the (Greek Getaway) men had already pledged a chapter.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kayla0deegee
I have a question.....
How does the university get this information out there....like do they pick certain schools around that area and send the information to the guidance counselors? Also if your campus does not have greek housing do you think it would still work??
I was just wondering cause I think this is a wonderful idea...especially for smaller schools with smaller recruitment numbers!
Thanks, Kayla
Old 03-08-2005, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

also

for those in the know, would you say that it was more likely for the hs senior to end up pledging the house that they were a guest in? how was it determined who would stay at what house?
Old 03-08-2005, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
How does the university get this information out there....like do they pick certain schools around that area and send the information to the guidance counselors? Also if your campus does not have greek housing do you think it would still work??
I was just wondering cause I think this is a wonderful idea...especially for smaller schools with smaller recruitment numbers!
I believe information about the Greek Community (including GG) is sent out with a number of mailings to prospective and incoming students. There is a very effective Greek Marketing Team in place that works on marketing materials and ways of getting information about the Greek Community at Iowa State into the hands of PNMs.

Information about Greek Getaway is also spread word-of-mouth by older siblings or friends who are currently in a fraternity or sorority at Iowa State (that's how I found out about it).

I think it could still work at schools without Greek housing, you'd just have to find alternative places for the visitors to stay--in dorms, apartments, etc...

Quote:
for those in the know, would you say that it was more likely for the hs senior to end up pledging the house that they were a guest in? how was it determined who would stay at what house?
It depends, really. Sometimes yes. It probably happens more with fraternities than sororities since they still do an open recruitment process over the summer (or at least did when I was in school.) Like bluefish81 said, having attendees switch houses can help them see what different houses are like.

I believe there is a section on the registration form where you can specify your preferred host chapter, otherwise they're assigned at random by IFC and Panhel.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, that sounds so interesting. Our school forbade any formal interaction between greeks that could be construed as recruitment. We were allowed to host prospies over night even if we lived in the house, just no formal stuff.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
Greek Affairs and Greek Marketing team in an effort to streamline the process and at the recommendation of the Innova (company used to make the materials) has put a lot of the information on the website. What I mean is, registration is now online, they just need to send their $20 check in.

Like ISUKappa said, there prospective members do have the option to pick a chapter. They can also say, my friend Sally Jones is coming and we want to stay at the same place.

Looking at the new form they can also request info about Formal Recruitment, etc.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Panhellenic Weekend at Alabama

Alabama hosts something similar - Panhellenic Weekend
http://www.bama.ua.edu/~npc/panhellenicweekend.htm

We would like to invite you to attend Panhellenic Weekend 2005! Come learn about the opportunities available to you at UA through Greek life. We will walk you through registration, tell you what to expect from the week of recruitment, and host a “What to Wear” fashion show that morning, and then you'll get the chance to interact with sorority members during house tours that afternoon. This weekend should give you a taste of sorority life and all that it has to offer!

Anyone else have something similar?
Old 03-19-2005, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Oklahoma - Greek Preview Day

OU has Greek Preview day for the fraternities. Any other systems out there with something like this? Or plans to have something like this?

Dear Prospective Student,

The University of Oklahoma Interfraternity Council invites you to learn more about the Greek system. April 23rd, 2005, from 9am-1pm, every IFC chapter will open their doors to interested parents and sons. Please take this opportunity to bring your parents to discover more about your future in the Greek system. We hope to see you here!

Sincerely,

David Lohmann
Recruitment Chair

For more questions, email ifc@ou.edu or call 405-325-6350

http://greek.ou.edu/ifc/GreekPreviewDay.html
Old 03-19-2005, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

The University of WA has a similar weekend as well. Those women who have been accepted for the following school year get invitations to attend and they spend a weekend in one of the sorority houses. I guess there are house tours and info sessions and things like that.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Nebraska IFC

Quote:
Originally posted by TxAPhi
Any other systems out there with something like this?
Some of The University of Nebraska chapters have open houses in the spring and I beleive most/all during the summer.

Quote:
Several fraternities at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln will be hosting open houses during the Nebraska Wrestling, Nebraska Boys State Basketball Tournament, FFA Week and E Week. Students and parents are invited to tour Greek living units and meet current members of the Greek system. We hope you can join us! Check out the Open House Schedule.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Re: Oklahoma - Greek Preview Day

Quote:
Originally posted by TxAPhi
OU has Greek Preview day for the fraternities. Any other systems out there with something like this? Or plans to have something like this?

Dear Prospective Student,

The University of Oklahoma Interfraternity Council invites you to learn more about the Greek system. April 23rd, 2005, from 9am-1pm, every IFC chapter will open their doors to interested parents and sons. Please take this opportunity to bring your parents to discover more about your future in the Greek system. We hope to see you here!

Sincerely,

David Lohmann
Recruitment Chair

For more questions, email ifc@ou.edu or call 405-325-6350

http://greek.ou.edu/ifc/GreekPreviewDay.html

that sounds like a good idea

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 03-22-2005, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

another example

Announcing Showcase Saturday
(An Open House Program)
Stephen F. Austin State University, Nacogdoches, Texas

A perfectly sized state university combining quality academics with personal attention you’d expect to find at a private liberal arts college. Learn about admissions, housing, financial aid, student activities. Tour the beautiful campus. Meet the faculty.

Visit www.sfasu.edu/admissions/visits.html or call 936-468-2504.

Choosing the right college is an important decision. To assist you, we have planned a special Showcase Saturday to familiarize you and your family with the beautiful campus of Stephen F. Austin State University and the educational opportunities available to you.

We will hold an opening session at 1 p.m. April 9 in Turner Auditorium. After the opening session, you will have an opportunity to speak with representatives from admissions, housing, financial aid and student activities as well as tour our beautiful campus and university housing. Faculty will also be on hand to discuss degree programs, majors and course offerings.