GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Beta > Beta Sigma Phi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,276
2 members and 1,274 guests
aangelasuasd942, naraht

Old 10-06-2011, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Interested

Hi I am interested in joining a BSP chapter and i was kind of curious about it and how it differs from a collegiate sorority and how things work when you join any help would be amazing ! * im going to a BSP meeting in like 4 days* Thanks !
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-09-2011, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Another question i have is Beta Sigma Phi is a sorority but when i read about it , it was started by a man , i am confused?
Old 10-10-2011, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi Angi, Good luck with your meeting. Yes, Beta Sigma Phi was started by a man. A number of NPC sororities were also started (or helped to be started, or assisted in some fashion) by men as well, like Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Gamma Delta, Chi Omega, Delta Zeta, Gamma Phi Beta, Kappa Alpha Theta & Theta Phi Alpha. A couple of the others had men work on their constitutions, rituals or other parts of the sororities.

This in no way negates the effort and dedication of the women who worked tirelessly to make these organisations happen.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi, AngiRd! I hope you have an awesome time at the meeting.

Beta Sigma Phi is similar to collegiate sororities in that it is based on sisterhood; it also has rituals, traditions, symbols, colors, etc. Both BSP and collegiate sororities have social activities and service activities. Both exist to foster friendship and close bonds. But unlike collegiate sororities, Beta Sigma Phi sisters do not need to be or ever have been in college. BSP chapters are usually (but not always) small and meet in homes or community locations. The process of establishing a chapter is vastly different. BSP chapters are fairly autonomous in their activities, unlike collegiate sororities that are heavily directed by national or international offices and college regulations.

ElieM answered your other question quite well. Walter W. Ross saw a need, and he took action. Due to the circumstances before and during the Depression, the women in his community were missing out on college educations in order to go to work to help their families. He established an organization that would allow women to educate themselves through programs that they would present to their fellow members. At first, the group was not a sorority. It was kind of a book club. It blossomed and became Beta Sigma Phi.

Hope this helps!
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 10-10-2011, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erica812 View Post
Hi, AngiRd! I hope you have an awesome time at the meeting.

Beta Sigma Phi is similar to collegiate sororities in that it is based on sisterhood; it also has rituals, traditions, symbols, colors, etc. Both BSP and collegiate sororities have social activities and service activities. Both exist to foster friendship and close bonds. But unlike collegiate sororities, Beta Sigma Phi sisters do not need to be or ever have been in college. BSP chapters are usually (but not always) small and meet in homes or community locations. The process of establishing a chapter is vastly different. BSP chapters are fairly autonomous in their activities, unlike collegiate sororities that are heavily directed by national or international offices and college regulations.

ElieM answered your other question quite well. Walter W. Ross saw a need, and he took action. Due to the circumstances before and during the Depression, the women in his community were missing out on college educations in order to go to work to help their families. He established an organization that would allow women to educate themselves through programs that they would present to their fellow members. At first, the group was not a sorority. It was kind of a book club. It blossomed and became Beta Sigma Phi.

Hope this helps!
erica, my dear sister-I love what you wrote here. I just wanted to chime in and also explain that the OP may not even need to start a chapter of her own. I live in a decent-sized city and I was shocked to find that there are a few chapters in this area alone. I also thought about trying to get my mother involved in her state and I was concerned she would have to drive far to join a chapter. I checked the Beta Sigma Phi site only to find that there are chapters right down the road from her. Check it out, OP. You may just be surprised.

As you can see by the letters in my signature, I am also a member of an NPC. I want to say that I love both sets of sisters and I cherish the opportunity to spend time with my Phi Mu sisters and my Beta Sigma Phi sisters. They all mean the world to me. I implore you to really consider joining BSP. I promise you that you won't be disappointed.

Life * Learning * Friendship...Beta Sigma Phi