GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 2,053
1 members and 2,052 guests
zagelpitto2616

Old 08-08-2008, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Thank you.

I was also wondering what in the world someone's mucus would have to do with anything related to marriage counseling, so I looked up NFP on Wikipedia and promptly thanked God that I am not Catholic and therefore don't have to be subjected to any sort of "mucus woman-like" discussions. Ew.
If you ever have trouble getting pregnant, you might find yourself subjected to these discussions with your doctor. Both of my OBs (in different cities) used NFP-type monitoring techniques as a way to help people get pregnant (as opposed to preventing it).

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-08-2008, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAzul View Post

Also: With the advocating of the man doing the temp taking/charting...how the hell is that supposed to inspire baby making? Alarm goes off at 7 am, man rolls over, sticks thermometer in mouth, checks the prevailing conditions, "Right! Let's get going!". I am NOT a pork roast! I can't possibly see that as romantic and intimate.
Ahem. GOOD Catholics only procreate, there is nothing romantic or intimate about it. It's just an act you must get through in order to be fruitful and multiply. Where is your Catholic guilt???? <grin>
Old 08-08-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAzul View Post
Also: With the advocating of the man doing the temp taking/charting...how the hell is that supposed to inspire baby making? Alarm goes off at 7 am, man rolls over, sticks thermometer in mouth, checks the prevailing conditions, "Right! Let's get going!". I am NOT a pork roast! I can't possibly see that as romantic and intimate.
Didn't you get the memo? Sex is only for procreation! You're not supposed to enjoy it!
Old 08-08-2008, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTABullwinkle
Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi Sailorgirl View Post
I'm not too far, I could come and enjoy some Coldstone!

You are just up the road, aren't you! How is your wedding planning coming along? I picked up our honeymoon packet for WDW today. 35 days to go!

"Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon our hearts. Until against our will comes the wisdom of God."
Old 08-08-2008, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

So here's a question:

If there's a couple who is no longer engaged, but plans have been made, and dates set, should the person who wanted to end the engagement make the phone calls to all the vendors and such?

I could check my Emily Post or Amy Vanderbilt but I'm not at home. It just seems that the poor jilted person shouldn't have the extra humiliation of talking to those people and can therefore move on with their lives faster.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
So here's a question:

If there's a couple who is no longer engaged, but plans have been made, and dates set, should the person who wanted to end the engagement make the phone calls to all the vendors and such?
I have no clue what the proper etiquette for this situation is, but I would think that the person who has been dumped isn't responsible for this. On the other hand, the "breaker" probably wants nothing to do with this task either.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
Quote:
So here's a question:

I could check my Emily Post or Amy Vanderbilt but I'm not at home. It just seems that the poor jilted person shouldn't have the extra humiliation of talking to those people and can therefore move on with their lives faster.
For some reason, and I'm no Emily or Amy, I feel like it would probably fall on either the parents of the couple or the maid of honor and bridesmaids to help with cancellations no matter who ended it. Just my 2 cents...
Old 08-08-2008, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTAMich View Post
For some reason, and I'm no Emily or Amy, I feel like it would probably fall on either the parents of the couple or the maid of honor and bridesmaids to help with cancellations no matter who ended it. Just my 2 cents...
I agree. When the engagement/wedding of a best friend was called off, her family and bridesmaids made phone calls.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTABullwinkle
Quote:
So here's a question:

I don't have an answer for you on your question. But my thoughts go out to any bride in this situation. I can't imagine haveing to make those type of phone calls.

"Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon our hearts. Until against our will comes the wisdom of God."
Old 08-09-2008, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
^^^ I just looked it up too. I'm very appreciative of my faith as well right about now. But at least it's an alternative.

Wow, me too!

And I just totally cracked up at your new siggy
Old 08-09-2008, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm just thinking that with the times, more couples are paying for things on their own (so parents are kind of out), and people leave home so the bridal party may be elsewhere. Perhaps this would be a good reason to hire a wedding planner, to take care of everything, including not having a wedding in the end?

I've known two couples in the past month who called it off, one was ended by the groom, the other I have no idea (and I'm not going to ask for details because that's tacky). Suffice it to say I thought that guy was horrible when we went to college together, and granted he could have matured, but he was a friend/roommate of the boyfriend at that time. They were within a month of the big day, the other couple had just publicly announced it, were six months away from going down the aisle, and her ring hadn't even come back from the jewelers sized yet. Though all the other arrangements had been made, location, caterer, dress, bridal party, and so on. There was even religious conversion on the part of the groom, and baby names picked out.

It seems like so far to go to just wake up one day and decide not to do it for no explainable reason (according to the jilted bride). No infidelity, no dirty secrets coming out, because I know she'd tell people he was a low down dog or something instead of crying and thinking she's not good enough or did something wrong. Of course we can't say he's a completely horrible person because she still loves him, and that's just not productive.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
baby names picked out.
Umm, isn't "before the wedding" a little early to be picking out baby names?? (Unless the bride was already pregnant.) I always thought the pressure to have a baby wasn't supposed to begin until right after the ceremony.

Still, that was a horribly evil thing for the groom to do - only slightly above actually leaving her at the altar.

Last edited by aephi alum; 08-09-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
Umm, isn't "before the wedding" a little early to be picking out baby names?? (Unless the bride was already pregnant.) I always thought the pressure to have a baby wasn't supposed to begin until right after the ceremony.

Still, that was a horribly evil thing for the groom to do - only slightly above actually leaving her at the altar.
Well I know with my ex not agreeing to a male baby name was a complete deal breaker. It was a family tradition and that was something he had to have, and I agreed that if we ever got married our first born son would have that name.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTABullwinkle View Post
You are just up the road, aren't you! How is your wedding planning coming along? I picked up our honeymoon packet for WDW today. 35 days to go!
Wow, you are moving in to the home stretch!

Things are good now. If you had asked me last week I might have burst into tears. We had an invite sort of catastrophe with postage and different post offices saying different things. It's all fixed now though since invites are going out this week!
Old 08-11-2008, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

It seems like so far to go to just wake up one day and decide not to do it for no explainable reason (according to the jilted bride). No infidelity, no dirty secrets coming out, because I know she'd tell people he was a low down dog or something instead of crying and thinking she's not good enough or did something wrong. Of course we can't say he's a completely horrible person because she still loves him, and that's just not productive.
I've known people who said they should have called off the wedding prior to the date. One girl knew 3 months before that it was never going to work, but was afraid to disappoint her family and friends. About 3 years later, her husband threatened to kill her...police were called...and now they are in the midst of a bitter divorce.

Oh, and I am back from the wedding and honeymoon. The wedding day went by in a blur and I barely remember anything. Both DH and I wish that we had a videographer (or at least a friend with a video camera) because we would really love to see our ceremony, our first dance and just how things looked etc. Greece and Turkey were awesome, but very hot! Now, I should be unpacking and putting away gifts. Once we get some pictures, I will be sure to post!